Linebacker information

Sydla

Reaction score
Interesting that he has Liafau above Eichenberg.

I think a lot will depend on what we do in FA. If they come out of FA with a legit inside option like Jewell or Wagner (end the Queen dream) I could then see them coming back in the 4th or 5th with an Eichenberg or Liafau if one was there. But if they whiff at LB in FA, then you are likely staring at using your 2nd rounder on a guy like Trotter or 3rd rounder on Wilson.

Carson

Reaction score
Interesting that he has Liafau above Eichenberg.

I think a lot will depend on what we do in FA. If they come out of FA with a legit inside option like Jewell or Wagner (end the Queen dream) I could then see them coming back in the 4th or 5th with an Eichenberg or Liafau if one was there. But if they whiff at LB in FA, then you are likely staring at using your 2nd rounder on a guy like Trotter or 3rd rounder on Wilson.
I agree with this.

I have Liafau around the 3rd round. Put on solid muscles and weight. Great hands and 26 pressures and 5 sacks. Over aggressive with an 18.9 missed tackle rate. Elite blitzer. I think he can turn into a stud.

Eichenberg should go 4th to early 5th. Good block shedder, great sideline to sideline player. I feel like Eichenberg is a guy who gets drafted and quietly plays 10+ seasons.

Sydla

Reaction score
I agree with this.

I have Liafau around the 3rd round. Put on solid muscles and weight. Great hands and 26 pressures and 5 sacks. Over aggressive with an 18.9 missed tackle rate. Elite blitzer. I think he can turn into a stud.

Eichenberg should go 4th to early 5th. Good block shedder, great sideline to sideline player. I feel like Eichenberg is a guy who gets drafted and quietly plays 10+ seasons.

As a ND fan, I've seen a lot of Liafau. He's got some spaz in him, which shows up in being over aggressive. But generally, he was a solid player.

A late round flier on another ND LB could be JD Bertrand. He's limited for sure, but might be a decent special teams guy and a good spot guy at MLB if you get one in FA and are just looking for depth. I would not expect much beyond that whereas Liafau could develop into a really decent starter.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I really like Liafau. He's got a great motor, good speed, and he diagnoses quickly. That's a ball magnet recipe in the pros. I didn't really see him engage a lot of blocks, but as the Will in ND's scheme, that wasn't really his job. He looks willing to if asked, at the least.

Eichenberg is the old school block-stacking MLB we need, but his athleticism looks pretty marginal. The Combine could put him anywhere from 3rd round to undraftable for me

Sydla

Reaction score
I really like Liafau. He's got a great motor, good speed, and he diagnoses quickly. That's a ball magnet recipe in the pros. I didn't really see him engage a lot of blocks, but as the Will in ND's scheme, that wasn't really his job. He looks willing to if asked, at the least.

Eichenberg is the old school block-stacking MLB we need, but his athleticism looks pretty marginal. The Combine could put him anywhere from 3rd round to undraftable for me
Yeah, Eichenberg is a guy I could live with in that 4th to 5th round range. We don't have a 4th now but who knows what Jerry might do with a move down that could net us a 4th.

I think there is a drop off at LB after the first three - Cooper, WIlson and Trotter. Not a big drop off but those three look like the clear three best in what is a weak LB draft.

John813

Reaction score
Eichenberg reminds me of Josey Jewell.
We'll see what he does at the combine/pro-day but both seem to me to be both instinctual linebackers that have concerns over athletics.

Jewell has been in the league for 6 years now and should be getting a new contract. Not a guy that will be a huge impact player but a guy you can count on to be in position and not be a sieve.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Cooper is clear cut LB1 for me and the only player I’d consider at 24 although he likely wouldn’t be BPA. Colson seems like he’s solid all around but more of a high floor / low ceiling guy. Liafu is a good down player just not sure how we he can cover…need to watch him more.

Really, really hope we attack LBr in FA so we’re not counting on a rookie to help get us over the hump.

visionary

Reaction score
Need a starting MLB in FA so we can use early draft picks on OL

Sydla

Reaction score
Need a starting MLB in FA so we can use early draft picks on OL
I think this should be the way to go. Get a FA LB in here and also a FA DT. You are more likely to get good play out of them early than a rookie.

Then you can be a bit more focused early in the draft on the OL. I am assuming Tyron is back (pure guess on my part), and with Tyler and Martin, a rookie C can slide in there and likely be solid while he learns. So you go JPJ or Barton in the 1st, or Frazier in the 2nd or Van Pran in the 3rd. Then you can even go OT at the other pick if you want or then maybe LB or DT as well.

visionary

Reaction score
I think this should be the way to go. Get a FA LB in here and also a FA DT. You are more likely to get good play out of them early than a rookie.

Then you can be a bit more focused early in the draft on the OL. I am assuming Tyron is back (pure guess on my part), and with Tyler and Martin, a rookie C can slide in there and likely be solid while he learns. So you go JPJ or Barton in the 1st, or Frazier in the 2nd or Van Pran in the 3rd. Then you can even go OT at the other pick if you want or then maybe LB or DT as well.
Yep OT in 1 and C in rd 2
RB like Allen in 3
DT and LB in FA