News: Lions.com: Stats Pack: Detroit must capitalize on forcing Tony Romo into third-down situations

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
What that article doesn't tell you is that only 18.6% of the Cowboys' plays have been 3rd down plays.

81.4% of Dallas' plays are on some other down.

32.4% of all Dallas' offensive plays result in either a first down or a touchdown, which ranks 4th in the NFL. Detroit ranks 9th, so in reality the Cowboys are converting more of their plays into first downs than the Lions are, no matter which down the play was run on.

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
I got a chuckle out of one of the Lions fan making a comment on this article.

Rome is a spoiled little kid! Suh will ahave a field day with him and if Farley gets it going ohhhhhh my

Where do they come up with this type of BS.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
I got a chuckle out of one of the Lions fan making a comment on this article.

Where do they come up with this type of BS.

They get this kind of thing from the national media.

Vick is a horrible convicted felon who is not a very good player and nationally they all decided to help him out and right about redemption and second chances etc, so nationally people just forget what kind of crummy lowlife he really is.

On romo they take the opposite, he is a tremendous player and an even better person but nationally they right ignorant non factual crap about him all the time and use his name to drive ratings by over blowing silly things.

It's insane, but its the crappy way people have accepted the sports media and instead of a clown like mike florio being wiped off the map for being terrible at what he does..."tony romo is at best a backup quarterback" is what he said after we lost to Denver in 09 and " Dez Bryant will be out f the league in four years", he gets promoted to NBC Sunday night football and gets rich.

So anyway that's where it comes from.

DiResta

Reaction score
The biggest diference to Romo and Stafford is that Tony Romo is very accurate with passes he is ranked number 4 out of all quarterback with 68.3 and only throw 265 for 181 catches
Staffords ranking is 15 and 61.4 completed yet hes throwing 290 passes. he throws the ball more each game than Tony Romo but hes not throwing as good and that means he better watch his own 3 down.

perrykemp

Reaction score
The biggest diference to Romo and Stafford is that Tony Romo is very accurate with passes he is ranked number 4 out of all quarterback with 68.3 and only throw 265 for 181 catches
Staffords ranking is 15 and 61.4 completed yet hes throwing 290 passes. he throws the ball more each game than Tony Romo but hes not throwing as good and that means he better watch his own 3 down.

Romo is the more accurate QB, however, the Lions have had a very bad run with their #2 WRs over the past 2-3 years:
  • Burleson (ACL Last year, Broken Arm this year)
  • Broyles (Torn ACL last two years)
  • Titus Young (Mental Health Issues)
Really his most consistent threat outside of Megatron has been TE Pettigew who is a decent all around TE, but not a dynamic pass catcher.

In summary, I give Romo an edge in accuracy over Stafford, however, it's not like Stafford is a slouch.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's insane, but its the crappy way people have accepted the sports media and instead of a clown like mike florio being wiped off the map for being terrible at what he does..."tony romo is at best a backup quarterback" is what he said after we lost to Denver in 09 and " Dez Bryant will be out of the league in four years", he gets promoted to NBC Sunday night football and gets rich.

Holy moly that is unbelievable.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"In fact, Romo and Stafford are almost mirror images when it comes to statistics, with Romo taking the edge in most."

This is not a reasonable definition of a mirror image.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Romo is the more accurate QB, however, the Lions have had a very bad run with their #2 WRs over the past 2-3 years:
Really his most consistent threat outside of Megatron has been TE Pettigew who is a decent all around TE, but not a dynamic pass catcher.

And Tony has had to deal with the likes of ogletree and company. So as usual you are wrong
In summary, I give Romo an edge in accuracy over Stafford, however, it's not like Stafford is a slouch.

burmafrd

Reaction score

and Tony has had such wonderful WRs as Ogletree and company. you are Wrong as usual

perrykemp

Reaction score
And Tony has had to deal with the likes of ogletree and company. So as usual you are wrong

Tony has had Dez Bryant, Miles Austin, and Jason Witten for the past 4 years. Add T. Will this year. Ogletree was a #3/#4 WR -- those guys I mentioned (Burleson, Broyles, and Titus Young) have been Detroit's attempt to put a decent #2 on the field.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Tony has had Dez Bryant, Miles Austin, and Jason Witten for the past 4 years. Add T. Will this year. Ogletree was a #3/#4 WR -- those guys I mentioned (Burleson, Broyles, and Titus Young) have been Detroit's attempt to put a decent #2 on the field.

Burleson and Young were actually pretty decent WR's. Young just happened to be incredibly stupid as well.

perrykemp

Reaction score
Burleson and Young were actually pretty decent WR's. Young just happened to be incredibly stupid as well.

Burleson is not a terrible #2 when he is on the field -- which hasn't been often the last couple of years.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Nfl am did a caption contest with a pic of romo and Barkley.

Of course they are all negative about romo and the crew couldn't have found it funnier, including dealine walker.

That ny dopey guy on this show is amazingly bad. It's like they mixed florio's lack of intelligence with skip bayless bravado and Peter king's east coast is better attitude.

Holy cow he is awful

DiResta

Reaction score

I like Stafford he is really good. Tony Romo is having one great season though so I dont worry about the 3 down as they said. He really only has maybe 2 real interception and rest were bad tips and stuff but of course they do count. we know he had bad help on some though so I dont worry about Tony Romo, only people to be where they are supposed to be and he will be great.