Locker jumps up to No. 7 for QBs overallEmail Share

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Locker jumps up to No. 7 overallEmail Share
STAY AHEAD OF THE GAME Become an Insider Today
By Todd McShay
Scouts Inc.
Archive It comes as no surprise that Washington QB Jake Locker, fresh off the upset of No. 3 USC, is drawing the biggest buzz in scouting circles this week. The junior displayed excellent composure in the pocket behind an offensive line that did him few favors. He also seemed unfazed by the pressure of the moment, completing all four pass attempts during a 10-play, 63-yard drive that set up Erik Folk's game-winning 22-yard field goal.

Multiple injuries have stunted Locker's development and NFL scouts are obviously concerned about his long-term durability. Locker also has room to improve when it comes to reading defenses and seeing the entire field. However, when he's at full strength and in a groove like he was last weekend, it is hard not to be enamored with Locker's NFL potential. He's a big, strong-armed quarterback with excellent mobility.

The value of playing in a pro-style offense that new head coach Steve Sarkisian brought with him from USC should not be underestimated, either. It is much easier for NFL scouts to evaluate a quarterback in a system that translates to the NFL game, especially now with the vast majority of teams in the country featuring the spread formation. In addition, Sarkisian's influence can already be seen in Locker's improved footwork and overall accuracy as a passer.

There's no question in my mind that Locker would benefit in the long run by sticking around for his senior season. It would give him time to continue to polish his mechanics under Sarkisian, while increasing his game experience, which generally correlates to NFL success at the quarterback position. But I'm also a realist. Locker could easily emerge as a top-10 prospect if he avoids the injury bug and builds momentum off last Saturday's upset of the Trojans. While I would like to see Locker return to Washington next fall, it's hard to argue with a young man's decision to cash in a winning lottery ticket in the ballpark of $30-45 million.

As a quick side note, the 2010 draft class could be loaded at the quarterback position. Here's a look at the top seven eligible prospects, all of whom project as first- or second-round picks (* indicates eligible underclassman):

1. Sam Bradford*, Oklahoma
2. Jake Locker*, Washington
3. Jevan Snead*, Mississippi
4. Colt McCoy, Texas
5. Tony Pike, Cincinnati
6. Jimmy Clausen*, Notre Dame
7. Tim Tebow, Florida

For a look at this week's can't-miss individual matchup and the updated top 32, become an ESPN Insider. To continue reading this article you must be an Insider

Benny Blue Boy

Reaction score
Two years ago, I thought Jimmy Clausen was an overrated kid, despite how bad his team was, he looked scared and incapable of doing anything. I thought he looked small and wondered what the heck the big deal was...Flash forward two years and talk about a 180. He's showed a lot of toughness and leadership ability to me the end of last year and the beginning of this. I'm starting to think he has the most upside of these 7 too.

UnoDallas

Benched
Reaction score
Benny Blue Boy;2976821 said:
Two years ago, I thought Jimmy Clausen was an overrated kid, despite how bad his team was, he looked scared and incapable of doing anything. I thought he looked small and wondered what the heck the big deal was...Flash forward two years and talk about a 180. He's showed a lot of toughness and leadership ability to me the end of last year and the beginning of this. I'm starting to think he has the most upside of these 7 too.

yep +1

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Hate Notre Dame...Hate them to death..but Jimmy Clausen looks like a future 1st rounder.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Why isn't Ryan Perrilloux on that list? :lmao:

If I am Mitchell Mustain I declare for the draft next spring. He can get drafted highly just because he is from USC. No need to waist another year of sitting on the bench.

Benny Blue Boy

Reaction score
joseephuss;2980937 said:
Why isn't Ryan Perrilloux on that list? :lmao:

If I am Mitchell Mustain I declare for the draft next spring. He can get drafted highly just because he is from USC. No need to waist another year of sitting on the bench.

I don't know why he transferred to USC...he shoulda transferred to a MAC school or even like Florida State if he was still thinking big. USC goes after the NO. 1 guy about every year it seems, and you gotta be really really good to start there. He ain't ever getting past Barkley now and he's behind Aaron Corp too so I don't think he would even get drafted.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
I like Locker Clausen and McCoy in this draft. I won't be sad if one of them is a Cowboy next year .

UnoDallas

Benched
Reaction score
Dan LeFevour, Central Michigan
Height: 6-3. Weight: 226.
Projected 40 Time: 4.80.
Projected Round (2010): 6-7.
2/4/09: Dan LeFevour threw for 2,784 yards, 21 touchdowns and just six picks as a junior. He also rushed for 592 yards. His YPA (7.4) and completion percentage (66.8) were both pretty solid.

5/1/08: Looking to be the next talented NFL quarterback from the MAC, Dan LeFevour threw for 3,652 yards, 27 touchdowns and only 13 picks in 2007. He completed 65.4 percent of his passes, and rushed for 1,122 yards and 19 scores.

this kid looks great - I take him over Clausen an Locker

RESIN8

Reaction score
I think Jake should stay another year. Another year with Sark would be good for him.

dmoore

Reaction score
UnoDallas;2994468 said:
Dan LeFevour, Central Michigan
Height: 6-3. Weight: 226.
Projected 40 Time: 4.80.
Projected Round (2010): 6-7.
2/4/09: Dan LeFevour threw for 2,784 yards, 21 touchdowns and just six picks as a junior. He also rushed for 592 yards. His YPA (7.4) and completion percentage (66.8) were both pretty solid.

5/1/08: Looking to be the next talented NFL quarterback from the MAC, Dan LeFevour threw for 3,652 yards, 27 touchdowns and only 13 picks in 2007. He completed 65.4 percent of his passes, and rushed for 1,122 yards and 19 scores.

this kid looks great - I take him over Clausen an Locker

He's a poor man's Vince Young, and he doesn't project to the next level as well as Clausen or Locker. Both have shown signs that they could be great at the next level. LeFevour's good, but he's not done it against the highest level of competition.

RESIN8;3001341 said:
I think Jake should stay another year. Another year with Sark would be good for him.

It's in Locker's best interest to stay another year, but I could see him leaving. He's an absolute stud. I don't know if there's a QB I'd take before him. He has all the physical tools in the world, and great size. I've watched him twice this year and both times came away amazed at what he can do on a football field.