Looking ahead - DE Help

gmoney112

Reaction score
What do you guys think about adding Julius Peppers (at a reasonable cost of course)?

Under the radar guy. Old as dirt, but obviously has a crazy work ethic if he's still playing, and pretty well too.

He had his best years under Rod in Chicago too, so they're familiar with him.

You could probably get him on a cheap 1-2 year deal until the young guys develop. Would be a great guy to learn from too.

How about Peppers/Ware? Rod's old Chicago All-Pro and the return of DWare. Talk about some great role models for the young guys we draft this year + Lawrence/Tapper.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Under the radar guy. Old as dirt, but obviously has a crazy work ethic if he's still playing, and pretty well too.

You could probably get him on a cheap 1-2 year deal until the young guys develop. Would be a great guy to learn from too.

How about Peppers/Ware? Rod's old Chicago All-Pro and the return of DWare. Talk about some great role models for the young guys we draft this year + Lawrence/Tapper.

And it also looks like Peppers is thinking strongly about winning a Super Bowl. Unless he somehow does it in Green Bay this year, it might be a big consideration in his decision on if and where to play next season?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And it also looks like Peppers is thinking strongly about winning a Super Bowl. Unless he somehow does it in Green Bay this year, it might be a big consideration in his decision on if and where to play next season?
It would be for me.

OUCowboy

CirrusBLow
Reaction score
Keep in mind that the Cowboys have Charles Tapper on the roster. If his back heals properly, I think he will be a solid contributor to the defensive line, both against the run and as a pass rusher.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I would go with one or the other. There are only 4 spots at DE on gameday. With those 2 and Lawrence there is only 1 spot for either Tapper or a draft pick. TCrawford would have to move back to DT or be cut.

If one was a long term solution I would feel differently. I would be OK signing one and a 27 year old free agent that could be here awhile.

Common Sense

Reaction score
I would go with one or the other. There are only 4 spots at DE on gameday. With those 2 and Lawrence there is only 1 spot for either Tapper or a draft pick. TCrawford would have to move back to DT or be cut.

If one was a long term solution I would feel differently. I would be OK signing one and a 27 year old free agent that could be here awhile.

I would be pretty surprised if they don't move Crawford back inside next season. That would give them a DL rotation of Crawford, Collins, Thornton, and Irving, plus any free agent signing or mid/late round draft pick. That solidifies the interior enough that they can focus all their resources on acquiring edge rushers to compete with Lawrence, Tapper, Mayowa, and anyone they decide to retain on a cheap one-year deal (J. Crawford? Davis?).

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would be pretty surprised if they don't move Crawford back inside next season. That would give them a DL rotation of Crawford, Collins, Thornton, and Irving, plus any free agent signing or mid/late round draft pick. That solidifies the interior enough that they can focus all their resources on acquiring edge rushers to compete with Lawrence, Tapper, Mayowa, and anyone they decide to retain on a cheap one-year deal (J. Crawford? Davis?).
That means that McClain is gone. IMO McClain has been better at DT than Crawford was at DT.

They definitey have to do something at RDE. It would be nice to know the prognosis for Tapper. I thought he might be a 2nd round pick so I was happy when they got him in the forth.