Looking ahead, looking back Qb's

31smackdown

Reaction score
Ok, so there has been a fairly mixed opinion to say the least on the signing of Bledsoe so I figured I would look at a couple of QB's and ask what the opinion of the signing would have been at the time, assuming this same Cowboys team of today.

For example, What would have been your thoughts on the signing of Brad Johnson 4 years ago?

How about Trent Green 4 years ago?

What about Rich Gannon 6 years ago?

or possibly even our good ol' Vinny Testaverde 7 year ago?

My point here is that all of these Qb's were around the same age, some with less then experience, all with mixed results that went to other teams and played well, most having their best parts of their career for the next 3 years following.

I'm not saying this will happen with Drew, but I'm kind of getting tired of the view that he is on the downside of his career, old, slow and barely capable. I could see people saying the same thing about the players above at the time and things turned out ok for them I think.

And yes Trent Green is almost 2 years older and has played 1 less year than Drew. I think this underlines the importance of a good offensive line and a good running game.

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
31smackdown said:
Ok, so there has been a fairly mixed opinion to say the least on the signing of Bledsoe so I figured I would look at a couple of QB's and ask what the opinion of the signing would have been at the time, assuming this same Cowboys team of today.

For example, What would have been your thoughts on the signing of Brad Johnson 4 years ago?

How about Trent Green 4 years ago?

What about Rich Gannon 6 years ago?

or possibly even our good ol' Vinny Testaverde 7 year ago?

My point here is that all of these Qb's were around the same age, some with less then experience, all with mixed results that went to other teams and played well, most having their best parts of their career for the next 3 years following.

I'm not saying this will happen with Drew, but I'm kind of getting tired of the view that he is on the downside of his career, old, slow and barely capable. I could see people saying the same thing about the players above at the time and things turned out ok for them I think.

And yes Trent Green is almost 2 years older and has played 1 less year than Drew. I think this underlines the importance of a good offensive line and a good running game.
IMHO, the primary reason some fans don't like the idea of Drew Bledsoe coming to Dallas is because they believe it will hinder the development of our young QBs namely Henson.

I think if neither Henson nor Romo can earn the gig regardless of who is on QB depth chart then they aren't good enough or ready.

I agree, teams get mixed results after signing QBs of Johnson, Grbac and Bledsoe ilk.

While it would be dissapointing if Bledsoe doesn't play effectively, it won't hurt the Cowboys cap wise in the long run.

Until Henson or Romo can surpass Bledsoe on the depth chart and play at a level worthy to keep the starting job, then we need a QB of Bledsoe ilk on our roster because rebuilding teams don't shell out the type of money Jerry Jones did to aging veterans.

The team didn't spend almost $30 million is gurranteed money to give Henson and Romo fancy training wheels.