Looking ahead to '09

Hailmary

Reaction score
Let's hope Jerry's learned his lesson and brings in a decent backup QB next season. Here's a list of UFA QBs for next season. Who do you want? I'd like Losman (good athleticism/ arm/ not a statue). Orton's proved he can play in the league this year, but he'll likely be resigned. Rex Grossman? I wouldn't want him as my #1, but he may be ok as a backup.

Jeff Garcia, UFA, Tampa Bay Bucaneers
Rex Grossman, UFA, Chicago Bears
Kyle Boller, UFA, Baltimore Ravens
Charlie Batch, UFA, Pittsburgh Steelers
Matt Cassel, UFA, New England Patriots
J.P. Losman, UFA, Buffalo Bills
Kyle Orton, UFA, Chicago Bears
Patrick Ramsey, UFA, Denver Broncos
Kurt Warner, UFA, Arizona Cardinals

Hypnotoad

Reaction score
Jeff Garcia, UFA, Tampa Bay Bucaneers- too old, same problems. pass.
Charlie Batch, UFA, Pittsburgh Steelers - he works on the steelers staff now. Also I thought he was cut, could also be placed on IR. Leftwhich is the steelers backup.
Matt Cassel, UFA, New England Patriots - Pats will not let him go.
Patrick Ramsey, UFA, Denver Broncos - hes still in the league? pass.
Kurt Warner, UFA, Arizona Cardinals - too old, same problems. pass.

I am not even a scout and half those options suck or arn't realistic. Just draft or pick up a guy and train him.

parchy

Reaction score
Hypnotoad;2394677 said:
Jeff Garcia, UFA, Tampa Bay Bucaneers- too old, same problems. pass.
Kurt Warner, UFA, Arizona Cardinals - too old, same problems. pass.

Er, have you watched either of these guys this year? They've been killing for how old they are, with the Bucs game against us being Garthia's notable exception. Especially Warner.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
They all suck. Cowboys just need to draft a qb. Maybe Bartel is that qb they can develop. They found Matt Moore. I think at this point any quarterback available sucks. There are only about 15 good quarterbacks to begin with. And teams with good backup sare either old with their best years behind them or are about to get traded or leave via free agency. I think the best move is just draft and develop one.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
parchy;2394680 said:
Er, have you watched either of these guys this year? They've been killing for how old they are, with the Bucs game against us being Garthia's notable exception. Especially Warner.

They're Brad Johnson though. All it takes is one off-season for a quarterback to lose it. They look good now. Next season? They could be finished.

Hypnotoad

Reaction score
parchy;2394680 said:

If they are so great, why would they want to be relegated to a backup role? They could probably start for a team with bad breaks. Also why should we make long term commitments to old QBs? Isn't that the same problem we have now? Garcia is 39. Brad is 40. Did you not see garcia's game last week, imagine if he had to play the NFC east defenses 6 times. Screw that, think about this people.

Hailmary

Reaction score
rocyaice;2394682 said:
They all suck. Cowboys just need to draft a qb. Maybe Bartel is that qb they can develop. They found Matt Moore. I think at this point any quarterback available sucks. There are only about 15 good quarterbacks to begin with. And teams with good backup sare either old with their best years behind them or are about to get traded or leave via free agency. I think the best move is just draft and develop one.

No doubt we'll draft a QB, but he'll be competing w/ Bollinger for the #3 spot.

parchy

Reaction score
Hypnotoad;2394691 said:
If they are so great, why would they want to be relegated to a backup role? They could probably start for a team with bad breaks. Also why should we make long term commitments to old QBs? Isn't that the same problem we have now? Garcia is 39. Brad is 40. Did you not see garcia's game last week, imagine if he had to play the NFC east defenses 6 times. Screw that, think about this people.

Garcia had a bad game against us. He wasn't defined by that. He's still a capable QB with escapability and decent ability. He'd easily be one of the best backups in the league. Draft one or sign one, I don't care as long as they're talented. But both of those guys would be great backups, and I know Warner would be willing to do it since he's basically been a backup for the last 5 years taking over for bad starters.

And who said we have to sign them for long term? They're old, they're not expecting 3-year contracts.

Hypnotoad

Reaction score
parchy;2394707 said:
Garcia had a bad game against us. He wasn't defined by that. He's still a capable QB with escapability and decent ability. He'd easily be one of the best backups in the league. Draft one or sign one, I don't care as long as they're talented. But both of those guys would be great backups, and I know Warner would be willing to do it since he's basically been a backup for the last 5 years taking over for bad starters.

And who said we have to sign them for long term? They're old, they're not expecting 3-year contracts.

I know they would be great backups, but after the years they had, they will want a long term contract where they can cash out on their performance. They and their agents would be stupid to sign a contract which is team friendly.

Dawgs0916

Will the Thrill
Reaction score
parchy;2394723 said:
Dude, tell me there's another Baylor fan on this board...

Heh, im a Baylor fan on the sneak. I go to Tech, but Robert has been my best friend, and my quarterback since 7th grade. He took us to two state finals in high school.

TwoSteppinJJ

Reaction score
Just think over the years we've never really had a good backup QB. Wouldn't it make sense to maybe draft a QB with some potential and not just go out and pick up some over the hill bum. You look at most teams throughout the NFL these days and they all have pretty decent backups or at least QBs with a future.

Dawgs0916

Will the Thrill
Reaction score
Im telling you if Romo can hold it down for 3-5 more years, we'll be able to draft Robert in 2011 or 2012 and groom him to be a great one. He's an amazing athlete. Check out his stats as a freshman at BAYLOR, almost led an upset over Mizzu this past weekend.

Then check his track stats. Almost an Olympic qualifier. Again, as a FRESHMAN. Big 12 champ in the 400 hurdles. HS state record holder in 110's and 300's.

Reaction score
Hailmary;2394653 said:
Let's hope Jerry's learned his lesson and brings in a decent backup QB next season. Here's a list of UFA QBs for next season. Who do you want? I'd like Losman (good athleticism/ arm/ not a statue). Orton's proved he can play in the league this year, but he'll likely be resigned. Rex Grossman? I wouldn't want him as my #1, but he may be ok as a backup.

Jeff Garcia, UFA, Tampa Bay Bucaneers
Charlie Batch, UFA, Pittsburgh Steelers
Matt Cassel, UFA, New England Patriots
Patrick Ramsey, UFA, Denver Broncos
Kurt Warner, UFA, Arizona Cardinals

Should have tried to sign Daunte....

Alot of clowns on here saying much that ' fat boy sucked and his stupid roll dance'..... ill tell you what...

Brooks and Brad throwing ducks and picks looked alot better. Bozo's