News: Looking For A Pass Rush: The Logic And Risk Of The Cowboys’ Approach

CCBoy

Reaction score
Looking For A Pass Rush: The Logic And Risk Of The Cowboys’ Approach
http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2016...demarcus-lawrence-randy-gregory-benson-mayowa

There is a sense of gloom for many Dallas Cowboys fans in the wake of the Rolando McClain suspension. Along with the upheld suspension for DeMarcus Lawrence, it just increases what were already serious concerns about the defense. The Cowboys now face at least ten games (and probably more) without their projected starting MIKE linebacker, and four games without the two best pass rushers on the roster. It is all bad news.

Except we don’t really know. I received an email from a reader named John Carpenter that made just that point. After all, the team has been in a very similar position quite recently, and things did not turn out as badly as many expected.

It was just a couple of years ago that Sean Lee was lost for the season due to an injury in OTAs, and cap considerations led to the departure of DeMarcus Ware. That was the starting MIKE linebacker and the leading pass rusher gone for the season. The season where DeMarco Murray had his career year and the Cowboys went 12-4.

Obviously, there is no guarantee that the team will manage to recover as well this year. McClain was the player brought in to cover for Lee, and he did so well that it allowed the team to move Lee outside to the WILL position, which is his best spot. The pass rush was never very good that year, but the team did manage to get some timely turnovers and the defense was good enough to succeed - until that impotent pass rush, a Murray fumble, and a catch was that called incomplete for reasons that still sound like legalistic pasture deposits combined to lead to a defeat in the divisional round of the playoffs...

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe that first line should read.....There is a CONSTANT sense of gloom for many Dallas Cowboys fans......:laugh:.....

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
good well written article just wont know for sure until the regular season about the defense

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
If the expected improvement does not materialize, then this team is in trouble - that's the key

The article was fair. I'd give up 2 1st rd picks for Von Miller. He's better than all of the picks that we spent on defense in the last 5 years combined x 2 + 1 million.

zekecowboy

Reaction score
Maybe that first line should read.....There is a CONSTANT sense of gloom for many Dallas Cowboys fans......:laugh:.....

When you lose three of your starters on defense it does not leave one optimistic. Dallas has to go minimum 2-2 in first four games.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When you lose three of your starters on defense it does not leave one optimistic. Dallas has to go minimum 2-2 in first four games.

Going 2-2 in the 1st 4 games is a must even with those 3 players. If we had them, I would bet the usual suspects still say we would go 2-2, or worse. LOL.
Anyway, having them would not make us go 4-0 but not having them won't make us go 0-4 either. We could still do either, but you never know.

I understand the gloom without them. But was just stating, there are many doom & gloom fans out there no matter what this team does when it does do good.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
If the expected improvement does not materialize, then this team is in trouble - that's the key

The article was fair. I'd give up 2 1st rd picks for Von Miller. He's better than all of the picks that we spent on defense in the last 5 years combined x 2 + 1 million.

We need @ least one of those for Romo's eventual replacement. He'll be 37 next year and saw what we can do w/o him. I had that initial reaction (feel out the bidding war if there is one; probably not), but the elephant in the room brought me back :(

I don't envision Lawrence getting himself suspended again and we have Crawford/Thornton as starters; glaring hole being the RE if Gregory gets the 10 games next season. I like what Irving flashed and maybe entice the coaches to have Law/Irving switch sides if he proves to be competent; Collins and Tapper could prove to worthy in the rotation too. I know it's still chalked full of just potential outside of maybe Thornton/Crawford.

Last edited:

DandyDon52

Reaction score
The cowboy under marinelli, mainly rush the 4 down linemen, and they dont blitz enough, and when they do they are not very good at it.
Other teams send guys on delays thru gaps, but we never do that.
It works good against us, but again we never use it, and to me that is what is needed, is more blitzing and to be effective at it.

Wade phillips believes in attacting the QB , and not just with linemen, and it works pretty good for him.
It wasnt just talent in denver, it was wades approach to it.

Marinelli prefers to play coverage, and it just doesnt work out too good doing that, especially against a good qb.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Dallas will regret going into this season with this dline. At least we can see if any backups might be good for the future.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Dallas will regret going into this season with this dline. At least we can see if any backups might be good for the future.

Hey, this is still football, and not a racing form...sometimes, players do step up and play the game as it should be played. They have become professionals, and with that comes a degree of expected success as well. I don't know of anyone that will be run over, in this group...and that leaves some aggression in the balance as well.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score

True and I don't get it. Look --

Adjusted Points: The Cowboys allowed 374 points last year. According to Pro-Football-Reference.com, four interceptions were returned for a TD, along with a kick return and a fumble return for a total of six return TDs worth 42 points. The remaining 332 Adjusted Points rank the Cowboys 15th in the league, exactly where they were ranked in 2014 as well.

Red Zone Efficiency. The Cowboys' 2015 opponents had 49 red zone possessions. At seven points per possession, those opponents could have scored 343 points, but only scored 221 for an efficiency percentage of 64.4%, the 7th best value in the league. In 2014, the Cowboys defense had an efficiency percentage of just 70.6%, ranked 23rd in the league. Clear advantage for the 2015 defense

Yards per play: The 2015 Cowboys allowed 4.2 yards per attempt on the ground (20th) and 7.6 yards per attempt through the air (24th). In 2014, they were ranked 19th on the ground, also with 4.2 Y/A, and 21st through the air with 7.5 Y/A. No significant differences between the two defenses.

First down achievement.
  • The Cowboys allowed 317 first downs last year, the 14th best value in the league and a slight improvement over their 17th rank from the year before
  • Last year, they were ranked 15th with a 38.9% third down conversion percentage allowed, a significant improvement over their 43.6% percentage from 2014 (27th).
Some other reasons.

This year's defense is younger, more athletic and better at two key positions (Thorton at tackle and Jones at safety). BTW - if people don't think it's a huge improvement watch Wilcox against the Packers in the playoff game. He was so atrocious you have to question why he was even on the field.

Two key knuckleheads will play in 12 of 16 games and if Ro comes back in shape (a big if and if he doesn't he'll be cut) the defense should be the best it's been since those dreadful 8-8 years.

David Irving is a player and has far exceeded what the team thought they would get from him. Confidence is a big thing with players and I'm sure he'll be ready to prove he's the real deal. I also believe that Crawford could make the Pro Bowl this year.

We'll be much better at turnovers because we will be playing rested and with a lead a lot.

And finally...all of this is without one big unknown - that a player might emerge this year and become a real factor whether it's a rookie or second-year guy.

I fully expect us to be in the top half of the league (15 or better) which might be enough with the offense.

I can't wait.

Last edited:

HomeBiscuit

Reaction score
Always think back to summer 2014 outlook for defense. Ware just left, Lee out for the season, had no depth at either spot and ended up calling guys off their couches to come start for us at several positions.

Completely ignoring our 3 suspended stooges, our line is A LOT better and dt is as good as it's been for a decade. LB is better with Lee alone and I think Damian Wilson and Hitchens will both impress. LB has a chance to be phenomenal come December and Jan. This is the first year all 3 of our corners are coming in ready and safeties clearly get a massive boost with jones.

Lots and lots of young talent on defense. Makeup of a top 10 unit. With a healthy Romo, don't be shocked to see them finish in the top 5.