Looking forward to see what Pollard can do as the lead back that he has earned

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Time for Cowboys to face facts: Tony Pollard is their best running back, and here's why the debate is over​

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...unning-back-and-heres-why-the-debate-is-over/

You can explain most running back production by looking at the quality of blocking he gets, but according to just about any measurement of production that is actually within the back's control, he's a top-5 to top-10 player at the position. Yards per carry? Pollard's 6.03 rank second among the 50 backs with 50-plus carries this season. (The only one ahead of him is Rashaad Penny, who hasn't played since Week 5.) Success rate? His 42.7% mark ranks 10th, according to Tru Media. Avoiding negative runs? Pollard's been stopped at or behind the line of scrimmage just 12.6% of the time, 10th-best among that group. Explosive gains? His 12.6% explosive-carry rate ranks fifth. Yards after contact? His 4.49 per-carry average is best in the league by a long shot. (And nearly half a yard more per carry than Elliott averages overall. Sheesh.) Yards gained on first-down runs? He's at 5.4 per carry, ninth-best. Yards gained against stacked boxes? Also 5.4 per carry, which is fourth-best. Short-yardage conversion rate? The league average is 66.3%, but Pollard has converted 75% of the time. All this despite a yards before contact per carry average of just 1.53, which ranks 18th among the same group of players.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score

Time for Cowboys to face facts: Tony Pollard is their best running back, and here's why the debate is over​

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...unning-back-and-heres-why-the-debate-is-over/

You can explain most running back production by looking at the quality of blocking he gets, but according to just about any measurement of production that is actually within the back's control, he's a top-5 to top-10 player at the position. Yards per carry? Pollard's 6.03 rank second among the 50 backs with 50-plus carries this season. (The only one ahead of him is Rashaad Penny, who hasn't played since Week 5.) Success rate? His 42.7% mark ranks 10th, according to Tru Media. Avoiding negative runs? Pollard's been stopped at or behind the line of scrimmage just 12.6% of the time, 10th-best among that group. Explosive gains? His 12.6% explosive-carry rate ranks fifth. Yards after contact? His 4.49 per-carry average is best in the league by a long shot. (And nearly half a yard more per carry than Elliott averages overall. Sheesh.) Yards gained on first-down runs? He's at 5.4 per carry, ninth-best. Yards gained against stacked boxes? Also 5.4 per carry, which is fourth-best. Short-yardage conversion rate? The league average is 66.3%, but Pollard has converted 75% of the time. All this despite a yards before contact per carry average of just 1.53, which ranks 18th among the same group of players.
Fingers crossed that we get a healthy TP back and in camp.
Bones heal, as far as most of us understand, there was no ligament or tendon damage, nothing involved with the knee.
A broken fibula that heals, but what is concerning is the high ankle sprain.
A high ankle sprain, also called a Syndesmotic injury, occurs when there is tearing or damage to the high ankle ligaments.
I am not a doctor, but a simple google has me concerned about his actually recovery timetable.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Fingers crossed that we get a healthy TP back and in camp.
Bones heal, as far as most of us understand, there was no ligament or tendon damage, nothing involved with the knee.
A broken fibula that heals, but what is concerning is the high ankle sprain.
A high ankle sprain, also called a Syndesmotic injury, occurs when there is tearing or damage to the high ankle ligaments.
I am not a doctor, but a simple google has me concerned about his actually recovery timetable.
It was a small fracture of the bone. NO issues at all. There was no tearing or severe ligament damage in the ankle. It was a sprain.

Nothing to worry about. I know you get a lot of Pollard haters over dramatizing the injury, but its not an issue.

vlad

Reaction score
I wonder how much if any of his athleticism was wasted in the past few years… it wasn’t like this wasn’t evident to the casual observer for a few years now.

Even without the load, getting older is getting older… hopefully he’s not diminished in that regard.

Just thinking the impact he would have had on the team had he been the focal point

starfan1

Reaction score
I actually hope the use him slightly more than last year perhaps 60 % and then back fill with Davis or Jones . RBBC won’t upset me at all

He doesn’t need to get 80% of the carry’s . I think he could handle it he’s much tougher than some give him credit for but I’d like to see him somewhat fresh towards playoff times

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
It was a small fracture of the bone. NO issues at all. There was no tearing or severe ligament damage in the ankle. It was a sprain.

Nothing to worry about. I know you get a lot of Pollard haters over dramatizing the injury, but its not an issue.
My point Roy is that the fibula fracture is not the concern, but the High Ankle Sprain is.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I am too. I hope he tears it up

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I wonder how much if any of his athleticism was wasted in the past few years… it wasn’t like this wasn’t evident to the casual observer for a few years now.

Even without the load, getting older is getting older… hopefully he’s not diminished in that regard.

Just thinking the impact he would have had on the team had he been the focal point
We believed for decades in the lone gladiator RB approach, while other teams quickly evolved to RB by committee.

It was highly evident how many carries were wasted on that principle in this backfield.

I'm not opposed to bringing in another RB, doesn't have to be the familiar name in Zeke, all teams have to make cuts, and there will be some surprise cuts, so patience is being exercised now, its actually a very smart non move at this point,,, too early.

Lets see what we have in Camp, and how some of current depth looks first, no need to panic at all just yet.

If we see signs that the RB room needs something else, they will know, and cuts come like a tidal wave now and will have options.

No one is rushing out to sign Zeke, he is on the Rolodex, but better options migh even be available.

Last edited:

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score

Hope you are right Doctor Roy...:grin: