Mad at the Fasano pick?

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
still perplexed? well, the Pats took 2 TEs in the 1st round in 3 years, '02 (Daniel Graham) and '04 (Ben Watson), and they won a SUper Bowl each year, coincidence? yes lol, but still...

Screw The Hall

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
still perplexed? well, the Pats took 2 TEs in the 1st round in 3 years, '02 (Daniel Graham) and '04 (Ben Watson), and they won a SUper Bowl each year, coincidence? yes lol, but still...

It's a wait and see deal for me but I will say this after thinking about it, I have had a difficult time penciling in that 11 starter on offense for 3 or 4 years now ... not just the name but the position. So if Fasano solves that quandry I'm all for the move.

Truth is before this draft who was your 11th guy ... Crayton ... Polite ... Hannam?

And if you are definitive unlike me as to which of those 3 would have been the guy then consider this ... my favorite of those 3 would have been Crayton, but know way Parcells uses a 3 WR set as our base especially with our depth or lack thereof at that position, things get thin real quick at that position after you get by our top 3. Also that gives you a pass 1st tendency not exactly coaches 1st choice.

Hannam? Not a bad option there except he's really a blocking tight end and that gives you a run 1st tendency plus the depth situation there creeps right back up, not much behind Witten and Hannam predraft.

Polite? Truth is we haven't smelled the likes of a game changing FB around these parts in awhile. That position is going by way of the dinasour ... and so by the way are the RBs that know how to run behind them. Just from a talent standpoint we needed to think about change here.

So if these things are true then we've been held captive by that 11th guy. Now I don't pretend to know if Fasano is the dude who will change this problem, but I do like the idea in theory. Fasano has the POTENTIAL to develop into a complete TE much like Witten has become. If he does then the two VERSATILE TE set shows no tendencies whether it be run or pass and creates matchup problems somewhere on the field almost all the time.

I'm not saying I'm sold but I am intrigued and willing to take a wait and see approach.

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
That thought crossed my mind a lot on draft day, but the difference is, we weren't the SB champs. You could make the case that instead of wasting the 2nd 1st round pick, they could have improved their team much more at another position, say CB and would have won more.

GhettoxCowboy

Dem Boyz
Reaction score
Fasano's a god TE. He played great in ND. I expect the same here in dallas. And especially with the the tutoring of a TE like jason..

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
And even with Watson and Graham, New England still drafted tight ends with two of their first four picks in the draft this year. To some coaches the 2nd TE isn't a periphery player.

Nav22

Reaction score
It's a wait and see deal for me but I will say this after thinking about it, I have had a difficult time penciling in that 11 starter on offense for 3 or 4 years now ... not just the name but the position. So if Fasano solves that quandry I'm all for the move.

Truth is before this draft who was your 11th guy ... Crayton ... Polite ... Hannam?

And if you are definitive unlike me as to which of those 3 would have been the guy then consider this ... my favorite of those 3 would have been Crayton, but know way Parcells uses a 3 WR set as our base especially with our depth or lack thereof at that position, things get thin real quick at that position after you get by our top 3. Also that gives you a pass 1st tendency not exactly coaches 1st choice.

Hannam? Not a bad option there except he's really a blocking tight end and that gives you a run 1st tendency plus the depth situation there creeps right back up, not much behind Witten and Hannam predraft.

Polite? Truth is we haven't smelled the likes of a game changing FB around these parts in awhile. That position is going by way of the dinasour ... and so by the way are the RBs that know how to run behind them. Just from a talent standpoint we needed to think about change here.

So if these things are true then we've been held captive by that 11th guy. Now I don't pretend to know if Fasano is the dude who will change this problem, but I do like the idea in theory. Fasano has the POTENTIAL to develop into a complete TE much like Witten has become. If he does then the two VERSATILE TE set shows no tendencies whether it be run or pass and creates matchup problems somewhere on the field almost all the time.

I'm not saying I'm sold but I am intrigued and willing to take a wait and see approach.
Great post, I completely agree.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Shocked? Yes. Upset? No.....I consider him a very good hardnosed player.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
No one should be perplexed or angry after what Jerry Jones said.

It is like switching to the 3-4, and being perplexed that we drafted 3 defensive ends last year, and thus essentially drafted 2 linebackers in the first two rounds of the last 2 drafts.

Hoov

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
Shocked? Yes. Upset? No.....I consider him a very good hardnosed player.

i agree.

i was in my car after the carpenter pick and called my dad to ask who the cowboys picked 2nd, he told me TE Fasano, i told him to quit messing with me and that i was serious about wanting to know, he told me 3 times before i realized he was not joking.

But he seems to be a solid player and i am looking forward to seeing him contribute to the Offense this year.

ravidubey

Reaction score
I was disappointed until hearing about the 2 TE set and it now makes incredible sense on several levels. Our offense lost Larry Allen and Dan Campbell (and likely Polite) and has gained Owens, Fabini, Kosier, Fasano, and Skyler. Barring potential injuries, I can't see how this is at all a bad thing.

The defense lost Laroi Glover and Dat Nguyen and gained Ayodele, Carpenter, Hatcher, Stanley, Coleman, and Watkins.

We're alot better football team than we were a year ago.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:

Nah. I think just about everybody didn't know that they were going to change the offensive formation and I would say that most people feel that the pick makes sense and it's growing on them. At least that's what I've gathered from reading message boards.

I also think it helps that they got Watkins in round 5. If they didn't get him, I think people would've been irate that they passed up on a FS.

Rich........