Madden dropping the info...

31smackdown

Reaction score
Maybe I'm alone on this, but last night was the first time all season that I heard that Jason Garrett scripts his first 15 plays and that there were very few, if any, slant routes being run within the offense.. which may change now with a some encouragement from TO.

I thought that these were both very interesting facts that had not been pointed out previously by game broadcasters or local media.

A lot of these little tidbits probably come from the pre-game meetings that the announcers have with the players and coaches during the week and it's nice to see the results of some of those conversations come back and be used during the broadcast. I wish more announcers would ask better questions during their pre game meetings and then share that with the viewers at the appropriate time in the game, like the case was last night.

In a semi-related note... I am already not looking forward to NFL Network games and Mr. Boring and monotone, Bryant Gumbel.. I have no doubt that he will somehow make a potentially great game, between the Packers and Cowboys, unwatchable with sound.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Not running more slants is just one more thing I'll never understand about this team, along with giving 10 yard cushions on 3rd and short and not running more screens or sweeps to Julius.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
31smackdown;1747078 said:
Maybe I'm alone on this, but last night was the first time all season that I heard that Jason Garrett scripts his first 15 plays and that there were very few, if any, slant routes being run within the offense.. which may change now with a some encouragement from TO.

I thought that these were both very interesting facts that had not been pointed out previously by game broadcasters or local media.

A lot of these little tidbits probably come from the pre-game meetings that the announcers have with the players and coaches during the week and it's nice to see the results of some of those conversations come back and be used during the broadcast. I wish more announcers would ask better questions during their pre game meetings and then share that with the viewers at the appropriate time in the game, like the case was last night.

In a semi-related note... I am already not looking forward to NFL Network games and Mr. Boring and monotone, Bryant Gumbel.. I have no doubt that he will somehow make a potentially great game, between the Packers and Cowboys, unwatchable with sound.

Madden started reading CowboyZone just this past week

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
What's strange is the slant was the main pass route for Irvin in his day and Troy says T.O. is playing Irvin's position in Red's offense. I never understood why we had gotten away from the slant.

You are right about Madden's comments. I thought he had some interesting things to say last night.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I thought I was the only person who felt this offense needed to run some slant plays, especially given Owens' physical superiority over opposing cornerbacks.

Not to mention I'm all for changing up the timing of an offense to keep opponents off balance.

I think the Patriots do a teriffic job of changing offensive 'timing'.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
31smackdown;1747078 said:
Meh... Who needs that. What we really need are more celebrity interviews, insipid commentators, and sitcom promotion. ;)

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
I also thought it interesting that he was so open about McNabb's harsh criticism of Reeves.

Sometimes I think players open up to Madden, foolishly thinking that he'll "keep it between the two of them."

I know Irvin regretted telling Madden his "secret" of how he got separation from the defensive backs. He blames that largely for the refs paying more attention to it.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Danny White;1747193 said:
I also thought it interesting that he was so open about McNabb's harsh criticism of Reeves.

Sometimes I think players open up to Madden, foolishly thinking that he'll "keep it between the two of them."

I know Irvin regretted telling Madden his "secret" of how he got separation from the defensive backs. He blames that largely for the refs paying more attention to it.

McNabb's harsh criticism of Reeves?

What was said?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Vintage;1747283 said:

What was said?

I know McNabb had said that his plan was to attack Reeves because they felt that could make plays against him

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Vintage;1747283 said:

What was said?
He just said that they were going to pick on Reeves all night.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
theogt;1747288 said:
He just said that they were going to pick on Reeves all night.

Basically, said the same thing that Manning said in week 1.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Hmm...scripting the first 15. Could be the reason for offensive struggles early, especially in the first quarter.

Garrett must be THAT good at adjustments and seeing what the defense is giving him.