Mahoones so clearly the best QB in the NFL

1942willys

Reaction score
Really; when was the last time the #1 guy had such a gap to the #2?

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
Really; when was the last time the #1 guy had such a gap to the #2?
20 years with Brady.

But to elaborate: You're probably saying this based on Mahomes' 1) individual statistics, 2) team regular season success, and 3) team postseason success. Brady had all of those for 20 years (sometimes all at the same time).

There were 5+ QBs with better numbers this year than Mahomes, and 5+ teams with better records. So you can't really say he has #1 and #2 way above anyone else. But he is in the AFCCG again, which meets #3. Brady was a part of 2-3 dynasties - early in his career, in the middle of his career, and later in his career. He put up some of the best statistical seasons in league history. There were many years where his numbers were great but overshadowed by Peyton Manning's, but he usually had team success those seasons (regular season and postseason).

But I agree that Mahomes is impressive. He put up great numbers from day 1, whereas it took Brady a few years to become a feared passer. His team has also played in 3 of the past 5 Super Bowls, so his career is definitely off to a similar start as Brady's in terms of winning.

Let's see if he keeps it up though. Brady won a lot of Super Bowls both early and late in his career. Let's see if Mahomes is still winning when he's 40.

Last edited:

1942willys

Reaction score
20 years with Brady.

But to elaborate: You're probably saying this based on Mahomes' 1) individual statistics, 2) team regular season success, and 3) team postseason success. Brady had all of those for 20 years (sometimes all at the same time).

There were 5+ QBs with better numbers this year than Mahomes, and 5+ teams with better records. So you can't really say he has #1 and #2 way above anyone else. But he is in the AFCCG again, which meets #3. Brady was a part of 2-3 dynasties - early in his career, in the middle of his career, and later in his career. He put up some of the best statistical seasons in league history. There were many years where his numbers were great but overshadowed by Peyton Manning's, but he usually had team success those seasons (regular season and postseason).

But I agree that Mahomes is impressive. He put up great numbers from day 1, whereas it took Brady a few years to become a feared passer. His team has also played in 3 of the past 5 Super Bowls, so his career is definitely off to a similar start as Brady's in terms of winning.

Let's see if he keeps it up though. Brady won a lot of Super Bowls both early and late in his career. Let's see if Mahomes is still winning when he's 40.
Brady was rarely considered the consensus #1. Now and then but not the gap we see now with Mahoones
For years there was Peyton Manning and then Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees and others who were in the conversation
Now as regards overall accomplishments certainly Brady has that; the system BB put into place gave Tom Brady the opportunity to become the best and he seized it with both hands
But I would argue you would not find one single year where everyone admitted Tom Brady was the best QB in the NFL with no real argument

1942willys

Reaction score
20 years with Brady.

as regards can Mahoones keep it up for 20 years I do not see it because as good as Reid is BB is better and how much longer will Andy Reid be around?
And Mahoones runs around a lot more than Brady ever did which means he will get injured more.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Brady was rarely considered the consensus #1. Now and then but not the gap we see now with Mahoones
For years there was Peyton Manning and then Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees and others who were in the conversation
Now as regards overall accomplishments certainly Brady has that; the system BB put into place gave Tom Brady the opportunity to become the best and he seized it with both hands
But I would argue you would not find one single year where everyone admitted Tom Brady was the best QB in the NFL with no real argument
If anything, it tells us how great the top tier of QBs were back then.
Hard to get a gap when the top 4 are all 1st ballot HOFers

1942willys

Reaction score
If anything, it tells us how great the top tier of QBs were back then.
Hard to get a gap when the top 4 are all 1st ballot HOFers
Bunch of young QBs with potential right now; but that is pretty much it. Rodgers if he comes back and Mahoones and that is pretty much it as regards proven elite QBs

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
Did you see that Mahomes play in the recent Bills tilt where he escaped up the left sideline and pumped the defender out his cleats - running the ball into the red zone? Throw out the stats - THAT GUY is flat amazing. If you have Mahomes you are a threat to go all the way.

1942willys

Reaction score
Did you see that Mahomes play in the recent Bills tilt where he escaped up the left sideline and pumped the defender out his cleats - running the ball into the red zone? Throw out the stats - THAT GUY is flat amazing. If you have Mahomes you are a threat to go all the way.
You look at his playoff games and brady often did not have great stats; but he made the plays when it mattered.

Right now the only QB in the NFL you can say that about is Mahoones

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
I was just researching this recently - here is the most impressive stat about Mahomes for me:

Since he became a starter in 2018 (112 games total), KC has only lost 4 games by more than 1 score (8 pts or more). They either win or they lose in a close game. He rarely lays an egg and allows KC to get blown out. Compare that to the Cowboys, who lost 4 games by more than 1 score in this season alone, including 3 blowouts :omg:

1942willys

Reaction score
I was just researching this recently - here is the most impressive stat about Mahomes for me:

Since he became a starter in 2018 (112 games total), KC has only lost 4 games by more than 1 score (8 pts or more). They either win or they lose in a close game. He rarely lays an egg and allows KC to get blown out. Compare that to the Cowboys, who lost 4 games by more than 1 score in this season alone, including 3 blowouts :omg:
a lot of that is Andy Reid and a very good front office. But it certainly has a fair amount to do with him as well

we have been worked how many times in that time period? probably at least a dozen - more likely more since we had like four this season alone; so probably double that

Flamma

Reaction score
I live close enough to get Philly sports talk radio. One of their stations is WIP. From time to time they'll give you a piece of history, or some other statistic that is completely false. This one on Mahomes. Or maybe even Mahoones.

If the Chiefs win on Sunday, Patrick Mahomes and Andy Reid will be the only QB/Coach combo to be in the last 4 out of 5 super bowls. This is false. It's happened twice before. I've never called into a radio station, but this was tempting.

The other one I heard recently was that no team that ever started off 10-1 did not win at least 12 games. Again, false. But that's not Mahoones related.

John813

Reaction score
It definitely an interesting time.

Allen is borderline great but can just have stinkers for games where he’s just too careless with the ball.

Lamar is an efficient QB at times with running ability but as a “QB” only Baltimore fans will rate him that high.

Watson was looking up in Houston till though allegations. But even then there was talk of garbage stats.

Lawrence still hasn’t come close to his once thought of potential

Burrows maybe could challenge Mahomes if he can stay healthy.

Herbert to me will be a step below the top tier. Maybe with Harbaugh something could be unlocked.

Then you got guys that will have one good year then EV and flow up and down.

1942willys

Reaction score
It definitely an interesting time.

Allen is borderline great but can just have stinkers for games where he’s just too careless with the ball.

Lamar is an efficient QB at times with running ability but as a “QB” only Baltimore fans will rate him that high.

Watson was looking up in Houston till though allegations. But even then there was talk of garbage stats.

Lawrence still hasn’t come close to his once thought of potential

Burrows maybe could challenge Mahomes if he can stay healthy.

Herbert to me will be a step below the top tier. Maybe with Harbaugh something could be unlocked.

Then you got guys that will have one good year then EV and flow up and down.
OF the QBs right now Burrows is the one I think is capable of coming close to Mahoones. But he has to stay healthy and he is with the bungles so there you are