Major team leadership shift

Awakened

the Dude abides
Reaction score
I think it was JEAN-JACQUES TAYLOR who wrote an article about the Cowboys losing a lot of leaders. Its true - Dan Campbell, Glover, and Keyshawn were all key leaders on this team (not to mention Dat Nguyen). Add Larry Allen as a key figure on the team who is most likely gone. Remember a few years ago when everyone was talking about how much we needed solid leaders on this team , and Jerry and Bill went out and signed some? Funny how times have changed.

Here are a few of reasons why I think the Cowboys have purposely executed this significant shift:

1) We needed to get younger, and we have. This team was becoming too old, with too many key players being 30+. This puts you at greater risk of injury problems and it obviously doesn't bode well for your future. It also potentially makes your team too, ummm...shall we say, mellow. Young guys bring a recklessness and fire that usually slowly fades over the years (unless their name is Irvin, Emmitt, or Aikman. or, in fairness to the man, Keyshawn).

2) I think the main reason Jerry and Bill felt safe to let so many key older guys go is the Draft of '05. It is a known fact that when there is a leadership void, natural leaders will step in and fill the void. When the spot is already filled, younger leaders will naturally defer to the older guys. I think Bill will privately say to Marcus Spears, DeMarcus Ware, Chris Canty, and perhaps Kevin Burnett (I haven't given up on him as it seems some folks have) to step up and provide leadership on the defense.

3) In addition to the outstanding rookies who will be called on to step it up a notch, there are some others who should be stepping into their prime and providing strong leadership. I'm thinking Roy Williams, Jason Witten, Julius Jones (hopefully), Terence Newman, and perhaps Bradie James.

4) Lastly, there was a significant group of free agents signed last year. I would think that it takes at least a year to "settle in" on a new team and establish relationships with other guys - to basically earn the respect of your teammates. This will be the year that some of those guys will more confidently assert their leadership on the team. For instance, letting Larry Allen go solidifies the reality that this offensive line will be clearly led by Marco Rivera. Here's hoping that he has fully recovered from his injury and plays at his normal level of excellence this year. Anthony Henry and Aaron Glenn in the secondary fit into this category, as well as Jason Ferguson on the DL.

In conclusion, when you look at it broadly, you can see that there really is a literal changing of the guard taking place. Out with the old and in with the new. The Cowboys are getting significantly younger, and the personality of the team is going to be significantly different. I believe Parcells has very intentionally put the pieces in place that he feels are needed to get the Cowboys back to the big time. I believe he feels so confident in the culture he has built on this team that he feels the team is able to handle mixing in a very fiery, volatile ingredient (T.O.) to perform at the highest level possible.

TonyS

Reaction score
I don't know if now is the time for bringing in TO when there is a changing of the guard going on. Seems like we are at our weakest point and we're bringing in a potential wrecking ball.

Who is going to be here to step up besides Bledsoe? I wonder if the light at the end of that tunnel is a Superbowl or a freight train.

Here's hoping that TO is happy to be here and willing to step into a leadership role.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Last year's draft was all about guys who were team leaders -- I read that at the start of the season it was actually Burnett who had emerged as the leader of the group. It does hurt to lose Key and Glover and Dat and Campbell. We haven't had great leadership on the defensive side since Woody left. Some of our best players on D are quiet -- Ellis, Newman, Henry. Roy needs to finally step into that role. I'm not worried about leadership on the offense -- anyone who saw Drew refuse to come out of the Rams game, despite taking hit after hit, knows he is the leader of that group.

ddh33

Reaction score
I don't want to kill the sacred cow or anything, but I'm not sure that leadership was doing a ton for the team.

This team is full of solid characters and previous leaders, with the exception of a new wild card. But if you look back, some of Bill's best leaders weren't the kind of guys you expect.

Don't laugh, but I wouldn't be surprised if Terrell Owens becomes one of the leaders of this team. He plays hard, practices hard, hates to lose, and loves to win.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
ddh33 said:
I don't want to kill the sacred cow or anything, but I'm not sure that leadership was doing a ton for the team.

This team is full of solid characters and previous leaders, with the exception of a new wild card. But if you look back, some of Bill's best leaders weren't the kind of guys you expect.

Don't laugh, but I wouldn't be surprised if Terrell Owens becomes one of the leaders of this team. He plays hard, practices hard, hates to lose, and loves to win.

There really hasn't been any leadership since Woodson left. The offense never had a clear leader until last season. We have a kind of weird situation where our better players tend to be the quiet guys. TO will bring some fire -- unfortunately it is the kind of fire that has the potential to get out of control.

B&G4EVER

Reaction score
ddh33 said:

TO a leader?!?! That's rich. To be a leader you have to be a team player, that is something TO is not, and never will be. TO will be the last to listen to a second year player.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
abersonc said:
There really hasn't been any leadership since Woodson left. The offense never had a clear leader until last season. We have a kind of weird situation where our better players tend to be the quiet guys. TO will bring some fire -- unfortunately it is the kind of fire that has the potential to get out of control.

Well, both Richie Anderson and Dan Campbell qualified as excellent offensive leaders over the past three years, and Keyshawn provided a certain locker room panache. Bledsoe has become more or a leader than he was in years past, so he should pick up some of the slack.

La'Roi and Dat's presence will be missed, but it may be time for the Wittens and Williams to step up and lead.

It isn't leadership lost so much as character imo...for all his mouthing, Key had it, and Dan was the epitome of it. Dat, too. How much the moral core has melted we shall soon see...hopefully enough to offset Mr. Owens' presence.