News: Make or Break season for two contract year Cowboys

CCBoy

Reaction score
Make or Break season for two contract year Cowboys
http://thelandryhat.com/2016/07/10/make-break-season-two-contract-year-cowboys/

Entering contract years often brings the best out of people. Take note of DeMarco Murray’s revolutionary season in 2014. He was playing for that Philadelphia size contract.

Two players in particular for the Cowboys face a real battle this season. Arguably going up against each other to secure that next big deal with America’s team.

Terrance Williams & Brice Butler | Wide Receivers

With the return to health of wide receiver Dez Bryant and quarterback Tony Romo this season, eyes won’t be on either Terrance Williams or Brice Butler. For Williams in particular, this is how he seems to like it.

Throughout his three seasons as a Cowboy he’s been one to fade in an out. Cloaked in an invisibility jacket for most of 2015, with the Romo replacements unable to utilize #83. He failed to step up in place of Dez, but expecting him to do so with subpar quarterbacks was somewhat unfair.

Despite the mediocre 2015, he actually had a career high in receptions and yards. But it’s the inability to take a game by the scruff of the neck and dominate defensive backs that seems to hold Williams back. That and the fact he’s a body catcher...

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Don't sleep on Vince Mayle. The competition for the pecking order at WR will be strong this year. Do we keep 6?

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
I wouldn't be suprised if we didn't keep either. Unless twill comes back for a decent price.

Neither will get the "big deal" from the Cowboys. Dallas will draft a WR early next year and let them complete for playing time with the guys already under contract for 2017.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The body catcher part was not needed.
Loses credibility as a reporter IMO.

I think who ever has the better season [TWill and Butler] will get offered a deal, if it's a decent season. The other will test the FA market. However the offer will not be a huge one.
They will still draft a WR regardless.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
The body catcher part was not needed.
Loses credibility as a reporter IMO.

I think who ever has the better season [TWill and Butler] will get offered a deal, if it's a decent season. The other will test the FA market. However the offer will not be a huge one.
They will still draft a WR regardless.

Body catcher is a fair point, it significantly reduces the catch radius of the receiver if he cant reach for the ball.

lwehlers

Reaction score
both are not even worth an extention. I hope one of them has a good year so it will take pressure off Bryant and witten to have great years for them. then after this year let both go and draft another young widereciever to that there place.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Body catcher is a fair point, it significantly reduces the catch radius of the receiver if he cant reach for the ball.

It was the way the comment was thrown in at the end. to me it was uncalled for and not needed for what she was writing about.
It was like a stupid snarky comment made on here from some posters. It means and adds nothing. It's like the only thing they can think of.

Kind of like a kid trying to get in the last comment that means nothing.

And seems to me, TWill made quite a few catches with those body catches....look at it this way...the pass was on target, and he didn't need to reach for the ball. :D

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Don't sleep on Vince Mayle. The competition for the pecking order at WR will be strong this year. Do we keep 6?

I don't see how they can, unless they're planning to just go with 3 running backs and send the rest packing.

I think Street is out for sure, but it would be nice to have a young, cheap, reliable receiver for a few years, especially to offset Dez' big contract.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

He seems to be generating a little buzz here early. It'd be great if he actually panned out.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I love TWill's range, route running, etc. His hands are the biggest weakness; unfortunately that's a biggie, and one that he will likely never overcome.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm hoping we add a couple of significant receivers in the offseason next year. Need an overhaul there.

Curious, It may be a bit premature but have you heard what next years draft holds in the way of strengths by position? I would actually like to see an all defensive draft by DC unless our cb's finally wake up, our lb's stay healthy and stabilize, our pass rush miraculously comes together and our safety play turns consistent. Just sayin

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Curious, It may be a bit premature but have you heard what next years draft holds in the way of strengths by position? I would actually like to see an all defensive draft by DC unless our cb's finally wake up, our lb's stay healthy and stabilize, our pass rush miraculously comes together and our safety play turns consistent. Just sayin

Good chance they will draft a few CB's and S's next year, possibly one each in top 3 rounds.

Claiborne, Carr, Church and Wilcox will all be FA's next year.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
Good chance they will draft a few CB's and S's next year, possibly one each in top 3 rounds.

Claiborne, Carr, Church and Wilcox will all be FA's next year.

Good info. Hope your right. Honestly, I'm biased about the defensive side of the ball. I played Safety in my high school days, and just love to see a bad ***, dominating defense like the early 90's. It's been a while and DC needs to load up on the defensive side to make a serious threat to go deep in the playoffs IMO.