Making football fun again: getting into the pilot's seat!

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
So I'm beginning to get back into cunstructive mode. The venting really helped, now let's see where we at. I know there already are a lot of threads like this and there will be more, so sorry for also starting one. But it helps me coping with it all and it's fun. And that's what football's supposed to be after all, isn't it? :)

If you don't like it, fire away. But let's keep this thread constructive. No "we're doomed" posts please or "it'll never change". Yes we know that and there are other threads for this. Thank you, much appreciated. :)

So, there were only two options in the first place, the decision has already been made of course. But I still like to share my thoughts about both:

1. Stay on course: Yes I know, this is the option they already went with. So: Keep the coaches and your QB. If that's the basis, then you gotta repair that O line. No 1 priority. Yes there are many holes in the defense also, but trade for and draft the best o liners. The younger Smith and Martin can be the basis. We do have a good depth guy with Bass. And no experiments during the season. Keep doing what has worked. You wanted to continue on this path, now don't throw in experiments. Now we do need a run game but I'm pretty sure a good o line with solve that problem also. Your receiving corps is in tact. Dak does have his targets. So stay on course with your passing game. After 8 years there is nothing you can do about Daks abilities and skills, but worse QBs have won the Superbowl.

But get Dak a good running game. You have to be multi dimensional. One thing I will always admit in all my critique, they put all the offensive workload on Dak. That is stupid once an opponent has figured that out. So, away with Pollard and I also didn't like the other guys (yes I know their names but don't care. No, they were not good and don't have potential). But running backs shouldn't be hard to find. Get at least one "big" guy for the tough yards. Maybe even like Zeke. Just because we don't care about wear and tear. Staying on course means winning the Superbowl this next season as the window with this crew (if there ever was one) will close rapidly.

As for the defence: Our long lost cornerback son will be back. Now we have to wait what that injury has done to him. But I think there is not much to do in our defensive backfield. Just don't play zone when man was the recipe to success. Stop being soft. Our opponents have to remember the games against us for weeks.

Up front we do have problems in our D. But we can't solve everything in one offseason. The cap will also define the ceiling. I do believe with at least one big guy up front stopping the run won't be impossible. I see the MLB position as a top priority. Yes we did have a couple of good games there with LVE replacements, but it wasn't ideal. But as much as we need someone there, if the cap situation won't allow it, rather go with the O Line.

I'm not going into the culture change thing, because this is out of the question with this personnel. But you can try and get external help. None of this navy seals PR stunt stuff. But true help, without even talking about it to the press. Try to tell Dak that he is has NOT been a great leader. Because he simply didn't fit this profile. Unfortunately we don't have sideline sounds from losses, but his face told me everything I wanna know. Deer-in-headlight stare even on the bench. Celebrating in the wrong moments, garbage time energy... it is what it is and Mike has find ways to deal with it. Who could assist Dak as a leader? Fergie? Find something with a good emotional intelligence. There has to be someone among all these guys.

2. Start a rebuild: Well, it could have been done. New HC, OC and DC. New line coaches. Get the best, doesn't count into the salary cap. Get some bloodhounds. Make the players work.

Get rid of Dak. No trade clause? Bench him and eat up the cap penalty. Maybe he'll want a trade on his own. It's his career after all.

Keep Lamb, Fergie, Smith, Aubrey (duh), Bland, Diggs and a couple of others if they really wanna stay. Ask them hard. If not, bye bye for more draft picks. Give Lance the chance to play a couple of games. Even with an unfinished o line. See how he moves, how he fights, how he handles constant pressure. Check his arm, his movement, even losses (or especially losses) will tell us enough. If You like what you see, he's our guy to build around. If not see what your drafted QB can do. Love can be the positive example. Stunk it up at first but then developed into something worthwhile. Can Lance do it? I don't know. But rebuild means taking these risks. Either way, draft a QB.

If Lamb and Fergie stay, you have the core of your receiving corps. Don't invest high draft pics into more. See what hidden gems you can find. But give those two all the workload and see if they can carry it. Let them grow into true role models.

I haven't mentioned Micah so far: as for now he's probably our biggest capital to get draft picks. Do it. As much as I liked his QB hunting, it's a sacrifice you have to make. No player should be safe at least.

Now on defense, its a white canvas. Nothing should be safe, everything has to be challenged. Whoever the new DC is, grit should be the priority. Big guys up front. Make QBs pass. Diggs if back to old form can deal with anything in the backfield. Bland will grow more and more. That's more than enough for a start. But find a true LVE replacement. No compromises here. Imo the most important position. Get a bad arse with brains. Yes I know that will be hard to come by, but that's your goal.

Don't be afraid of a 3-14 season. It's where greatness starts. It's where players learn how to grind, how to fight back, how to build a real team spirit. Together in the mudd. And involve your fans ffs. None of this Presser bull****. Tell them about your true expectations. Every win is a success but it's not about that for now. It's about learning and building a team. Have Q&As with fans. Have a vlog about your daily business (of course not everything). Be accountable. Doesn't hurt to say "we sucked, but this is what we learned" once in a while. No more "bump in the road" bull crap. I don't need a guy who TELLS everyone about how he's the first on the field and the last one out. Just do it because you think it's necessary. Don't shy away from conflict with your coaches or team mates. That's what leaders so if necessary. But be able to solve conflicts between team members. Sort out the media stars, even if their performance has been great. Generation Z? **** that. Its NFL football, stay away from your phones, at least during the season. You don't like that? Don't come here. You can still enjoy your Aston Martin (oh, I forgot, they don't have class, I meant to say enjoy your Hellcat) and your first class flights. Nothing wrong with that. Live the good life, you have earned it. But from 5 in the morning to 8 in the evening football is your bread n butter.

Find your true leader. Not a poster boy. Don't put it all on the QB right away. He has to become the leader, that's how football works. But give him room and time to suck. The worst thing that could happen would be another 15 wins season. Embrace the games against the best teams in the league. Lose 10-30? Well those 20 points are your playing field, your learning curve. And that's ok.

Now even with option #2 I couldn't imagine kicking out Jerry. So I really don't what to say about this other then please stay away from the locker room and the media. Be the GM (with the help of McC and others) for all I care but stay away from the players. Somehow this should be a possibility. Enough with the luxury training facilities, let this team grow on a dump yard. Go to Alaska for TC, don't know. Find a mud field for practices. Let this team find its grit. Accept that you can't build a team in a salary cap era. Maybe buy a team in a league without it and have fun there? I know that's also not realistic, but maybe he could stay away a little more. Let a new culture grow.

With all that being said: I have not bought a single merchandise item and even though I have been to the states I didn't go to a game. That's the only vote I have as a fan. I will continue doing this (or not doing this) until I see this team giving something back. And no, stat padding regular season wins aren't part of giving back.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Good well thought out thread.

I am still reeling and angry about that loss, but I am glad others are shaking it off and looking toward next season.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So I'm beginning to get back into cunstructive mode. The venting really helped, now let's see where we at. I know there already are a lot of threads like this and there will be more, so sorry for also starting one. But it helps me coping with it all and it's fun. And that's what football's supposed to be after all, isn't it? :)

If you don't like it, fire away. But let's keep this thread constructive. No "we're doomed" posts please or "it'll never change". Yes we know that and there are other threads for this. Thank you, much appreciated. :)

So, there were only two options in the first place, the decision has already been made of course. But I still like to share my thoughts about both:

1. Stay on course: Yes I know, this is the option they already went with. So: Keep the coaches and your QB. If that's the basis, then you gotta repair that O line. No 1 priority. Yes there are many holes in the defense also, but trade for and draft the best o liners. The younger Smith and Martin can be the basis. We do have a good depth guy with Bass. And no experiments during the season. Keep doing what has worked. You wanted to continue on this path, now don't throw in experiments. Now we do need a run game but I'm pretty sure a good o line with solve that problem also. Your receiving corps is in tact. Dak does have his targets. So stay on course with your passing game. After 8 years there is nothing you can do about Daks abilities and skills, but worse QBs have won the Superbowl.

But get Dak a good running game. You have to be multi dimensional. One thing I will always admit in all my critique, they put all the offensive workload on Dak. That is stupid once an opponent has figured that out. So, away with Pollard and I also didn't like the other guys (yes I know their names but don't care. No, they were not good and don't have potential). But running backs shouldn't be hard to find. Get at least one "big" guy for the tough yards. Maybe even like Zeke. Just because we don't care about wear and tear. Staying on course means winning the Superbowl this next season as the window with this crew (if there ever was one) will close rapidly.

As for the defence: Our long lost cornerback son will be back. Now we have to wait what that injury has done to him. But I think there is not much to do in our defensive backfield. Just don't play zone when man was the recipe to success. Stop being soft. Our opponents have to remember the games against us for weeks.

Up front we do have problems in our D. But we can't solve everything in one offseason. The cap will also define the ceiling. I do believe with at least one big guy up front stopping the run won't be impossible. I see the MLB position as a top priority. Yes we did have a couple of good games there with LVE replacements, but it wasn't ideal. But as much as we need someone there, if the cap situation won't allow it, rather go with the O Line.

I'm not going into the culture change thing, because this is out of the question with this personnel. But you can try and get external help. None of this navy seals PR stunt stuff. But true help, without even talking about it to the press. Try to tell Dak that he is has NOT been a great leader. Because he simply didn't fit this profile. Unfortunately we don't have sideline sounds from losses, but his face told me everything I wanna know. Deer-in-headlight stare even on the bench. Celebrating in the wrong moments, garbage time energy... it is what it is and Mike has find ways to deal with it. Who could assist Dak as a leader? Fergie? Find something with a good emotional intelligence. There has to be someone among all these guys.

2. Start a rebuild: Well, it could have been done. New HC, OC and DC. New line coaches. Get the best, doesn't count into the salary cap. Get some bloodhounds. Make the players work.

Get rid of Dak. No trade clause? Bench him and eat up the cap penalty. Maybe he'll want a trade on his own. It's his career after all.

Keep Lamb, Fergie, Smith, Aubrey (duh), Bland, Diggs and a couple of others if they really wanna stay. Ask them hard. If not, bye bye for more draft picks. Give Lance the chance to play a couple of games. Even with an unfinished o line. See how he moves, how he fights, how he handles constant pressure. Check his arm, his movement, even losses (or especially losses) will tell us enough. If You like what you see, he's our guy to build around. If not see what your drafted QB can do. Love can be the positive example. Stunk it up at first but then developed into something worthwhile. Can Lance do it? I don't know. But rebuild means taking these risks. Either way, draft a QB.

If Lamb and Fergie stay, you have the core of your receiving corps. Don't invest high draft pics into more. See what hidden gems you can find. But give those two all the workload and see if they can carry it. Let them grow into true role models.

I haven't mentioned Micah so far: as for now he's probably our biggest capital to get draft picks. Do it. As much as I liked his QB hunting, it's a sacrifice you have to make. No player should be safe at least.

Now on defense, its a white canvas. Nothing should be safe, everything has to be challenged. Whoever the new DC is, grit should be the priority. Big guys up front. Make QBs pass. Diggs if back to old form can deal with anything in the backfield. Bland will grow more and more. That's more than enough for a start. But find a true LVE replacement. No compromises here. Imo the most important position. Get a bad arse with brains. Yes I know that will be hard to come by, but that's your goal.

Don't be afraid of a 3-14 season. It's where greatness starts. It's where players learn how to grind, how to fight back, how to build a real team spirit. Together in the mudd. And involve your fans ffs. None of this Presser bull****. Tell them about your true expectations. Every win is a success but it's not about that for now. It's about learning and building a team. Have Q&As with fans. Have a vlog about your daily business (of course not everything). Be accountable. Doesn't hurt to say "we sucked, but this is what we learned" once in a while. No more "bump in the road" bull crap. I don't need a guy who TELLS everyone about how he's the first on the field and the last one out. Just do it because you think it's necessary. Don't shy away from conflict with your coaches or team mates. That's what leaders so if necessary. But be able to solve conflicts between team members. Sort out the media stars, even if their performance has been great. Generation Z? **** that. Its NFL football, stay away from your phones, at least during the season. You don't like that? Don't come here. You can still enjoy your Aston Martin (oh, I forgot, they don't have class, I meant to say enjoy your Hellcat) and your first class flights. Nothing wrong with that. Live the good life, you have earned it. But from 5 in the morning to 8 in the evening football is your bread n butter.

Find your true leader. Not a poster boy. Don't put it all on the QB right away. He has to become the leader, that's how football works. But give him room and time to suck. The worst thing that could happen would be another 15 wins season. Embrace the games against the best teams in the league. Lose 10-30? Well those 20 points are your playing field, your learning curve. And that's ok.

Now even with option #2 I couldn't imagine kicking out Jerry. So I really don't what to say about this other then please stay away from the locker room and the media. Be the GM (with the help of McC and others) for all I care but stay away from the players. Somehow this should be a possibility. Enough with the luxury training facilities, let this team grow on a dump yard. Go to Alaska for TC, don't know. Find a mud field for practices. Let this team find its grit. Accept that you can't build a team in a salary cap era. Maybe buy a team in a league without it and have fun there? I know that's also not realistic, but maybe he could stay away a little more. Let a new culture grow.

With all that being said: I have not bought a single merchandise item and even though I have been to the states I didn't go to a game. That's the only vote I have as a fan. I will continue doing this (or not doing this) until I see this team giving something back. And no, stat padding regular season wins aren't part of giving back.
Monty, I'll take door # 2, please..............
lets-make-a-deal-doors.jpg

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
Me too Pappy, me too. But I also put the other option in there, since that's the reality and even though I don't like it it's still fun to think about what the strategy could be in this scenario.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Me too Pappy, me too. But I also put the other option in there, since that's the reality and even though I don't like it it's still fun to think about what the strategy could be in this scenario.
Were a Toilet Bowl better said Jerry's Toilet Bowl.
He's 81 and desperate and out of time for selection # 2.
This does not work in our favor.
Unfortunately, I fear the next 5 years (That could include Jerry's final voyage) are a wash.

StarGazer1

Reaction score
As much as I hate losing in the regular season, I despise losing in the playoffs. I'm picking option #2 and hoping for a quick rebuild.

plymkr

Reaction score
Trying to be constructive here.

One thing I really want to see happen is letting go of Cooper Rush and promoting Lance to backup. So when we are beating up bad teams like NY or Wash we can get Lance some reps. If Dak gets hurt in a game then I’d rather play a backup with the potential of being a starter. If we implode and get eliminated from the playoffs I’d like to see Lance start and complete some meaningless games at the end of the year.

If DQ stays we have to beef up the LBers. The safety hybrid experiment failed. Also we need to use Micah more effectively, assuming Micah stays.

Our RBs need to have some beef to them as well. No more speed guys. We need one bruiser and one speed guy.

Lastly hire a coach specifically to tell Big Mike to challenge plays.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

why wouldn't fergie want to stay he's still in his rookie deal

starfan1

Reaction score
March and April will be telling if the team doesn’t get aggressive to improve their many shortcomings then expect more of the same

Defense should be high on the priority list and that should mean a MLB with some weight and skill and reacts well.

Not sure if Hankins is coming back or not be he’s the only one that’s worth a crap on the interior

On the Oline I would draft a tackle. It’s time to bid farewell to Tyron . The guy gave us alot of good years but youth should be the way forward

We need a RB as well. A WR most likely

Our schemes leave a lot to be desired they need changed or tweaked

Dak is the most polarizing player on this team and since it looks like he’s going to be here he needs to give team a friendly deal and it need to be done quickly as that dictates everything else

and there should be a more open competition in camp even though I believe he win it hands down

It is time to move on but I get there’s a faction that won’t especially once the extension takes place

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
:)
Our schemes leave a lot to be desired they need changed or tweaked
Forgot about that one. Yes, MM really needs to rethink his whole strategy with the offense. They can't execute his orders as planned. So it's either his guys not being good enough or his offensive plan was a failure. Unless of course padding stats was the plan all along.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Don't be afraid of a 3-14 season.
Your OP was extremely well thought. I respect your passion to invest in it.

But that snippet right there terrifies our 81 year old owner/GM. That is not a risk he is willing to take at this point in his life. As long as he thinks they're close - 12 win seasons will do that for him - he's not blowing up anything. He will invest in his stars, he will keep his QB who won those 12 games, and hope to tweak his way over the top.

Do I think his plan will work? No. It's not like he and Stephen haven't been trying for decades, but he's not going to start from scratch unless the bottom falls out.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
We are obviously staying the course with McCarthy. Quinn's future with the Cowboys is still in doubt so we can't say much at this point about the defense moving forward. However, the offense needs to be planning now for next season. The running game needs to improve so we need new blood at RB and on the O-line.