Making things easier on 3rd downs?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Hey, I was watching a Cowboys media show the one with Nate Newton, Jesse Holley and the crew. They mentioned our drives being made easier if we moved the ball better on 1st and 2nd downs.

For us, we will start a drive, and we'll run the ball on 1st, get 3 yards or less, 2nd down, we may get no gain or an incomplete pass. If we had a more efficient offense and were able to get (4) yards on first down, and a few on 2nd down, 3rd downs would be much easier to convert to 1st downs. We tend to have it 3rd and 7 or more, they mentioned if it's 3rd and 6 it's different in terms of how hard it is to achieve a 1st down. To me, it would be much easier if it were 3rd and 2 or so. I've seen it be 3rd and 2 and we throw a deep pass when all we had to do is maybe a short pass play to Ferg or something.

What can we do as a team to achieve an easier goal to get 1st downs without it having to be 3rd and LONG. Please give your thoughts

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Well he had to get that 3rd thread in ........... :muttley:
hey don't agree with him, he's just mad he's back on the threads and he missed bashing me!!!! I love it, when he bashes me, he's really saying (Coog-You great man you, I love you, and you're here to stay, take my job as a mod and free me from my mod duties oh great THOUGHTS of yours!) lol:confused::confused::confused::eek::eek::huh:

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
hey don't agree with him, he's just mad he's back on the threads and he missed bashing me!!!! I love it, when he bashes me, he's really saying (Coog-You great man you, I love you, and you're here to stay, take my job as a mod and free me from my mod duties oh great THOUGHTS of yours!) lol:confused::confused::confused::eek::eek::huh:
Do you want a mod job??????

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Staying out of third and long would make it easier. Pretty hard to do that when you commit as many penalties as we do.

Flamma

Reaction score
Hey, I was watching a Cowboys media show the one with Nate Newton, Jesse Holley and the crew. They mentioned our drives being made easier if we moved the ball better on 1st and 2nd downs.

For us, we will start a drive, and we'll run the ball on 1st, get 3 yards or less, 2nd down, we may get no gain or an incomplete pass. If we had a more efficient offense and were able to get (4) yards on first down, and a few on 2nd down, 3rd downs would be much easier to convert to 1st downs. We tend to have it 3rd and 7 or more, they mentioned if it's 3rd and 6 it's different in terms of how hard it is to achieve a 1st down. To me, it would be much easier if it were 3rd and 2 or so. I've seen it be 3rd and 2 and we throw a deep pass when all we had to do is maybe a short pass play to Ferg or something.

What can we do as a team to achieve an easier goal to get 1st downs without it having to be 3rd and LONG. Please give your thoughts
This is interesting. Because it was the key to the Eagles success back in 2022. They were constantly in 2nd and 5, 3rd and short. Hurts rarely had to throw into coverage all year with that heavy RPO. He'd throw on either 1st and 10 or 3rd and 2, when teams were playing the run. They don't have that same offense anymore. So Hurts is 2021 Hurts. I was just surprised at all of the people that thought he actually got better. That he took a leap. He didn't take a leap. They game planned around his strengths.

We can't do that. We simply don't have the run game. I don't think it's because our OL sucks, I think it's because defenses do not respect our passing game. Just like we didn't respect the Giants passing game last week. Dallas made sure they stopped the run first and foremost. That may not work against better passing teams.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This is interesting. Because it was the key to the Eagles success back in 2022. They were constantly in 2nd and 5, 3rd and short. Hurts rarely had to throw into coverage all year with that heavy RPO. He'd throw on either 1st and 10 or 3rd and 2, when teams were playing the run. They don't have that same offense anymore. So Hurts is 2021 Hurts. I was just surprised at all of the people that thought he actually got better. That he took a leap. He didn't take a leap. They game planned around his strengths.

We can't do that. We simply don't have the run game. I don't think it's because our OL sucks, I think it's because defenses do not respect our passing game. Just like we didn't respect the Giants passing game last week. Dallas made sure they stopped the run first and foremost. That may not work against better passing teams.
Thus also making it easier for them to do the TUSH PUSH. Yeah I agree i'm not sure exactly what's missing with our o-line

shabazz

Reaction score
Not only do I want it, I dream of it everyday, I dream of it being a place where it's white sandy beaches, and free mixed drinks with Lemon and water for ole coog! Oh man i'm patiently waiting by my phone everyday!! ;):lmao:
.....and I hear the perks are to die for. Rare air right there

Flamma

Reaction score
Thus also making it easier for them to do the TUSH PUSH. Yeah I agree i'm not sure exactly what's missing with our o-line
Nothing. If defenses focus on run stopping, not much you can do. You have to beat them with the pass to get them out of it. Think of our 2014 season. We had a ton of success on the ground, but much of that had something to do with our passing threat.

shabazz

Reaction score
That's a great idea.....when we play the Eagles, our Defensive line can turn around at the line of scrimmage and receive the full force of the tush push

Yall may not like that idea, but I know you got the visual burned in your brains.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Nothing. If defenses focus on run stopping, not much you can do. You have to beat them with the pass to get them out of it. Think of our 2014 season. We had a ton of success on the ground, but much of that had something to do with our passing threat.
Do you feel that Lamb is a passing threat in our offense?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
That's a great idea.....when we play the Eagles, our Defensive line can turn around at the line of scrimmage and receive the full force of the tush push

Yall may not like that idea, but I know you got the visual burned in your brains.
There's a famous person right now that's going through some legal issues over stuff like this, that's all i'm going to say!

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
gOE1dzn.gif