Maller: Rumors & Notes 4/12

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Carolina defensive tackle Kris Jenkins is working out with a personal trainer, preparing for the possibility he will be traded, his father said Wednesday. Darome Jenkins,speaking from his home in Hawaii, said Kris called him after seeing the Observer's story on the subject of a possible trade. St. Louis, Denver and Kansas City are among teams rumored to be interested.
Posted April 12, by Ben Maller

The visit for running back Corey Dillon, which was scuttled last week, still has not been rescheduled. The Titans, however, remain interested in the running back, who, according to a source, has had several conversations with Jeff Fisher over what his role would be in Tennessee. However, Dillon has not yet made up his mind as to what he wants to do, according to the source.

Georgia Tech wide receiver Calvin Johnson visited the Lions' Allen Park headquarters Wednesday. Quarterback Jon Kitna is among those who think the Lions should draft Johnson if he is available when they pick second overall.

Falcons DT Grady Jackson skipped his second day of voluntary minicamp and is not expected at today's final workout. He is suing the team for allegedly releasing medical records to some media outlets last summer. He has not attended any offseason workouts.

Even if Dallas drafts a receiver in the first round, T.O. isn't going anywhere, at least until the end of this season. That's because history has shown most rookie receivers don't make much of an impact. The Cowboys don't want to give up on a talent like T.O. – even if he does a lot of things that get on their nerves – until they have an adequate replacement.

Grant Wistrom knows what's best for him. "I haven't turned in any (retirement) papers yet. But in my mind, it's official," the veteran defensive end said Wednesday. "I keep waiting to second-guess myself, but I haven't done it yet." Wistrom's three-year stint with the Seahawks ended abruptly, and unceremoniously, when he was released March 8 -- three days after the club agreed to terms with free-agent defensive end Patrick Kerney and less than a year after the team selected defensive end Darryl Tapp in the second round of the NFL draft. "I saw it coming last year, when they'd take me out on third down and started rotating Tapp in," Wistrom said. "As soon as I saw they were bringing in Kerney, I called the movers. "It was over."

LSU QB JaMarcus Russell made a pre-draft visit to Commanders Park yesterday, but Coach Joe Gibbs cautioned not to read too much into it. Russell is a leading candidate to be taken by the Oakland Raiders with the top overall selection in the NFL draft April 28-29. The Commanders have the sixth choice and already have a youngster who is a former first-round draft pick, Jason Campbell, as their starter at quarterback. But NFL teams generally meet with as many draft prospects as they can, and club officials said their meeting with Russell was nothing more than making sure they prepare properly.

If Adam "Pacman" Jones is hoping the NFL Players Association will jump on board, he didn’t exactly get a ringing endorsement on Wednesday. Carl Francis, director of communications for the NFLPA, said no appeal had yet been filed by Jones or his attorneys. Asked if the union would support Jones or Chris Henry’s attempt to file an appeal, Francis replied, “I would rather not comment on that until such an appeal is actually filed.” Jones has 20 days to file a written appeal with Goodell to appeal the suspension. Goodell would then have 10 days to establish a date for a hearing, which would be heard by the commissioner on the matter.

St. Louis Rams coach Scott Linehan knew Ted Ginn Jr.'s sprained left foot wasn't fully healed. But the Rams still chartered a plane and brought a six-man contingent to the Woody Hayes Athletic Center on Wednesday to see the private workout of Ohio State's speedy junior flanker and kick returner. ``He's making progress. Obviously there's still a ways to go yet,'' Linehan said afterward. ``But even not 100 percent, he ran faster than most guys.'' Nearly every NFL team was represented, and most scouts who filtered out of the building said their stop watches timed Ginn in 4.4 seconds in the 40-yard dash. Ginn made three tries and his father, Ted Ginn Sr., said his son went in 4.38, 4.40 and 4.41. Ginn's agent, Neil Cornrich, was not permitted to attend, but said Ginn's times were all 4.3s. ... Linehan sounded willing to be patient with a player whom he thinks can have the same impact as Chicago Bears standout Devin Hester, a rookie from the University of Miami who had six returns for touchdowns in 2006 (including postseason).

Falcons WR Joe Horn is hoping to resurrect his career and a wide receiving unit banking on the development of Michael Jenkins and Roddy White and the healthy return of Brian Finneran. The 35-year-old, four-time Pro Bowl pick has been racing out of the huddle, rocketing through his routes, racing back and getting on teammates who don't follow suit during the three-day camp. He wasn't messing around when he said he was going to lead by example. He started weeks ago, along with position mates, with voluntary workouts with the quarterbacks. That has allowed the wideouts to be a step ahead of some of their teammates during minicamp. So far, things have gone well for the receivers, Petrino said, in part because of Horn's leadership, energy and playmaking.

The Vikings would not confirm the names of any players who visited Winter Park as part of their predraft evaluation Wednesday. Players known to be on the list included Clemson defensive end Gaines Adams, Pittsburgh cornerback Darrelle Revis, Minnesota tight end Matt Spaeth and Tennessee offensive lineman Arron Sears.

The Philadelphia Eagles will reimburse its employees living in the Philadelphia region and New Jersey who purchase wind energy, making it the first organization to pick up this type of cost for employees.

Did You Know? The Buffalo Bills make their first Monday Night Football appearance since 2000 (when they suffered a 44-20 loss at Indianapolis) and their first home MNF appearance since 1994 (when they beat Denver, 27-20) when they face the Dallas Cowboys on Oct. 8 at Ralph Wilson Stadium. It also will mark Wade Phillips' head-coaching return to Buffalo, where he coached from 1998 to 2000.

Of the five first-year head coaches in the league, only one will open the season at home on Sept. 9 (Oakland's Lane Kiffin, against Detroit). That same day, there will be road head-coaching debuts for the Steelers' Mike Tomlin (Cleveland), the Falcons' Bobby Petrino (Minnesota) and the Dolphins' Cam Cameron (Washington). Arizona's Ken Whisenhunt will make his head-coaching debut at San Francisco in the second half of a Monday Night Football doubleheader. Also on Sept. 9, Norv Turner makes his debut as San Diego's coach at home against Chicago and Wade Phillips makes his debut as Dallas' coach at home against the New York Giants on Sunday Night Football.

Baltimore and Denver share the distinction for most appearances on MNF with three. Besides their Sept. 10 opener at Cincinnati, the Ravens' other MNF games are at Pittsburgh on Nov. 5 and at home against New England on Dec. 3. The Broncos' Monday night games are at home against Green Bay on Oct. 29 and against Tennessee on Nov. 19, and at San Diego on Dec. 24.

Who Knew? The Eagles have consecutive games at the Meadowlands (Sept. 30 against the Giants and Oct. 14 against the Jets), separated by an Oct. 7 bye.

Rodney Peete, co-host of FSN's "Best Damn Sports Show Period," on Titans CB Pacman Jones being suspended for the entire football season: “There’s a new sheriff in town. Roger Goodell is laying down the law. But I think it’s a little hard on Pacman because the new policy wasn’t in place at the time he did those things. At some point, you have to draw the line, but a whole season is a little harsh.”

The six-year deal linebacker Nick Barnett signed Tuesday is worth $34.85 million and will earn him $11.47 million in salary and bonuses in 2007, a source with access to NFL salary information said. Barnett received a signing bonus of $5.1 million to go along with a $5 million base salary and bonuses of $1.275 million (roster) and $100,000 (workout) this year. In lieu of a big signing bonus, the Packers beefed up Barnett's base salary so they could apply a bigger chunk of the contract to the 2007 salary cap.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile;1454392 said:
Rodney Peete, co-host of FSN's "Best Damn Sports Show Period," on Titans CB Pacman Jones being suspended for the entire football season: “There’s a new sheriff in town. Roger Goodell is laying down the law. But I think it’s a little hard on Pacman because the new policy wasn’t in place at the time he did those things. At some point, you have to draw the line, but a whole season is a little harsh.”
If you stay out of trouble, just like the majority of players in the NFL, you wouldnt have to worry about receiving 'harsh punishments'.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
Even if Dallas drafts a receiver in the first round, T.O. isn't going anywhere, at least until the end of this season. That's because history has shown most rookie receivers don't make much of an impact. The Cowboys don't want to give up on a talent like T.O. – even if he does a lot of things that get on their nerves – until they have an adequate replacement.
Like what? Leading the league in TD receptions while playing through the pain of a broken ring finger? Supporting his QB Tony Romo throughout his tranistion to starter as well as attempting to uplift Bledsoe during his struggles? Having a legitimate hamstring injury and still not miss any games while Steve Smith set out nearly the first quarter of the season? This Owens annoyance thing is getting pretty old.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;1454447 said:
T.O. is not going anywhere. Why?
Because, Stone Cold said so......

Know your role and shut your mouth if ya Smell-lalalala-ow, what the Rock. Is. Cookin'....

:D

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Well this thread just got White Trashed.

Oh well ............ I got 2 words for ya ..... **** **!

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Hostile;1454392 said:

Umm, I'm willing to bet that it would be Glenn that would go before TO.

BLT

Reaction score
jdub... troy smith in the 5th round? 5th round still has good players ... i think thats too high for smith

Reaction score
Chris Henry should have got suspended for the entire season as well... He's actually been convicted of charges.