Manning and Harrison Restructure

DrunkWithPower

Reaction score
Just saw it on the ticker on ESPN. For some reason I assumed there would be some form of punishment for the Colts for using questionable tactics (within the contracts) to get under the cap, but I guess not.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
DrunkWithPower said:
Just saw it on the ticker on ESPN. For some reason I assumed there would be some form of punishment for the Colts for using questionable tactics (within the contracts) to get under the cap, but I guess not.
I think that with everything going on right now with the CBA negotiations that Tags has bigger fish to fry than the Colts being over the cap. Now that they have gotten under the cap before the FA period has begun they will likely get nothing more than a slap on the wrist. In another year with less going on it might have been a bigger deal but as unsettled as things are now they will be cut a lot of slack.

DrunkWithPower

Reaction score
My only issue is that if Dallas was over the cap, you can be sure something would come of it. I'm surprised there wasn't more media coverage and I'm definitely curious as to how they attempted to circumvent the cap.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
how is restructuring a "questionable tactic?"

folks have been doing that ever since the cap was put in place. hell, I think the Cowboys were innovators in that area.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
abersonc said:
how is restructuring a "questionable tactic?"

folks have been doing that ever since the cap was put in place. hell, I think the Cowboys were innovators in that area.
The only problem I see is that they let it run past the deadline before getting the deals done. The restructuring itself was not a problem.

DrunkWithPower

Reaction score
The act of restructuring isn't questionable, but using a loophole which apparently didn't follow the CBA is. It was reported that a special master ruled the Colts were not in compliance with the CBA in the contracts signed by Manning and Harrison, and I just wondered about the details...

AbeBeta

Reaction score
JackMagist said:
The only problem I see is that they let it run past the deadline before getting the deals done. The restructuring itself was not a problem.

what deadline. it was extended wasn't it?

also, keep in mind that when we find out about things might be long after the contracts were submitted to the league office.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
They probably restructured in a different manner that did comply with the CBA. After the special masters decision, they were probably given a week to get into compliance.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
abersonc said:
what deadline. it was extended wasn't it?

also, keep in mind that when we find out about things might be long after the contracts were submitted to the league office.
It was my understanding that the beginning of the FA period was extended but the deadline to be under the current cap was not. That was why the teams held the option to recall released players if a new CBA deal was reached. I think it was supposed to be a way to put added pressure on the NFLPA to work with the owners on a new deal.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
JackMagist said:
It was my understanding that the beginning of the FA period was extended but the deadline to be under the current cap was not.

No I believe both deadlines are the same.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
i think it was only inevitable for at least peyton to restructure...his number was wayyyyy too big to be a championship team.