Marcus Vick Invited To Dolphins Camp

dgr81

Reaction score
Dolphins invite QB Vick to rookie mini-camp

BY JASON COLE
jcole@MiamiHerald.com

Marcus Vick, brother of Atlanta quarterback Michael Vick, went undrafted over the weekend after a troubled college career.The Dolphins, who have not been shy about embracing troubled characters over the years, have invited former Virginia Tech quarterback Marcus Vick to their rookie mini-camp this weekend.

Vick, the brother of Atlanta quarterback and 2001 No. 1 overall pick Michael Vick, went undrafted over the weekend after a troubled college career. He was kicked off the Virginia Tech team in January after a series of incidents, including stepping on an opponent during the team's bowl game.

He was also arrested in January after brandishing a firearm after a dispute at a McDonald's. He was also suspended for the entire 2004 season after starting the 2003 season.

The Dolphins apparently needed Vick because they don't have a lot of arms around to throw passes this weekend. The team has signed quarterback Justin Holland of Colorado State as an undrafted free agent. However, quarterbacks Daunte Culpepper, Cleo Lemon and Brock Berlin are not going to be at the camp this weekend.

''As we did last year we are going to bring in a number of unsigned players to our rookie mini-camp strictly for evaluation purposes,'' Dolphins coach Nick Saban said. ``This doesn't mean we are about to offer any a contract. All we are doing is finding out as much as possible about each of these players. This is a continuation of our evaluation process and does not imply any commitment of any kind which should be encouraging for any of those players attending our camp.''

The Dolphins have not offered the 6-foot, 200-pound Vick a contract. He did impress NFL personnel people by running a 4.47 40-yard dash at the NFL combine. However, his litany of problems and unrepentant attitude caused him to go unwanted in the draft.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I guess they needed some one to fill Ricky Williams role on the team

DCowboyz

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
I guess they needed some one to fill Ricky Williams role on the team

Maybe? Or maybe not.. Vick could become a great QB one day.. Depends on how he acts..

Doomsday101

Reaction score
DCowboyz said:
Maybe? Or maybe not.. Vick could become a great QB one day.. Depends on how he acts..

Stranger things have happen but I'm willing to go out on a limb and say he never sets foot on the field in a reg season NFL game as a QB.

cstanton1987

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
Stranger things have happen but I'm willing to go out on a limb and say he never sets foot on the field in a reg season NFL game as a QB.
I think he will talent trumps all and he has talent. Hopefully he wil start listening to his big brothers advice and turn his life around. I have hope for Marcus Vick though he's a good player who make bad decisions

Doomsday101

Reaction score
cstanton1987 said:
I think he will talent trumps all and he has talent. Hopefully he wil start listening to his big brothers advice and turn his life around. I have hope for Marcus Vick though he's a good player who make bad decisions

I don't have that high of an opinion of him and do not think he is much of a QB even without the problems he has had. Only my opinion we clearly do not see eye to eye on this.

cstanton1987

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
I don't have that high of an opinion of him and do not think he is much of a QB even without the problems he has had. Only my opinion we clearly do not see eye to eye on this.

Clearly,I respect your opinion though. But remember before VT was handed there first loss by the Canes people were saying Marcus was a better pro prospect than Mike was at his age and he was further alng in his development than Mike was before he came out . He has a pass first run second mind frame an extra year of college hopefully adding some seasoning and maturity not to mention seperating him from his past discretions would have helped him immensely.

DCowboyz

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:

Well.. You could be right.. I just heard on ESPN that it would be impossible to see Marcus start at QB in the NFL..

The guy has talent.. He just needs to know how to use it.. And to pretty much act mature.. Michael should teach this kid something. He's more accurate than his brother, from what I've heard. (Passing) Not running.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
cstanton1987 said:
Clearly,I respect your opinion though. But remember before VT was handed there first loss by the Canes people were saying Marcus was a better pro prospect than Mike was at his age and he was further alng in his development than Mike was before he came out . He has a pass first run second mind frame an extra year of college hopefully adding some seasoning and maturity not to mention seperating him from his past discretions would have helped him immensely.

I'm not impressed by Mike Vick. I think he is a great athlete but not much of a QB. As for younger brother I have seen him play and think he was a decent college QB but I don't think he will ever make it in the NFL.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
DCowboyz said:
Well.. You could be right.. I just heard on ESPN that it would be impossible to see Marcus start at QB in the NFL..

The guy has talent.. He just needs to know how to use it.. And to pretty much act mature.. Michael should teach this kid something. He's more accurate than his brother, from what I've heard. (Passing) Not running.

Sorry when I watch college football I reconize it is a different game than the NFL. I loved Major Applewhite for Texas as a QB but I always knew he was not going to have that same success at the NFL level as he did in college. What I see in Marcus is a short QB (by NFL standard with less than an average arm) things he may have done in college I don't think will happen in the NFL. I will say I have seen the guys who beat the odds and maybe that happens for him but I think those are some long odds that Marcus will ever do anything in the NFL.

cstanton1987

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
I'm not impressed by Mike Vick. I think he is a great athlete but not much of a QB. As for younger brother I have seen him play and think he was a decent college QB but I don't think he will ever make it in the NFL.
Mike Vick leads his teams to wins. People forget this but he was the first QB to lead his team to a playoff win at Lambeau and what he did during that game was nothing short of spectacular, He led the Falcons to the NFC championship game the season before last and he may have the strongest arm in the NFL. If he had consistent and good coaching he would be a MVP candidate every year too bad he plays for the schizophrenic Falcons if he had two years here under Parcells we would have been in the Super Bowl last year.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
cstanton1987 said:
Mike Vick leads his teams to wins. People forget this but he was the first QB to lead his team to a playoff win at Lambeau and what he did during that game was nothing short of spectacular, He led the Falcons to the NFC championship game the season before last and he may have the strongest arm in the NFL. If he had consistent and good coaching he would be a MVP candidate every year too bad he plays for the schizophrenic Falcons if he had two years here under Parcells we would have been in the Super Bowl last year.

I disagree. I see a guy who takes off at the drop of a hat and trys to be a one may show, I don't think he can read a defensive secondary very well which is one reason he make 1 read then runs. Thus far everyone has been blamed for his lack of ability to be a top passing QB from coaches to WR but I think soon enough those excuses will run dry. I'll be the 1st to say I think Vick is an outstanding athlete maybe the best in the NFL but being a great athlete and being a great QB are not the same thing.