Marion Barber III Second Best Runner in the League

dooomsday

Reaction score
dannyz;1750256 said:
There are 31 running backs with at least 85 carries this season. Of those, MB3 is ranked #2 with 5.4 yards per carry behind only Adrian Peterson (6.6). Barber ranks T-4th in the league of all running backs regardless of number of carries.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/statistics?stat=rush&sort=avg&league=nfl&season=2&year=2007

:bow:

You must have missed those 4 plays he didnt gain anything. :)

He is a bulldozer. No matter how he seems to start by the end of every game he has done his job. Incredibly consistent this year.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The best RB in the league is determined by yards per carry?

Not sure I'm buying that.

dooomsday

Reaction score
big dog cowboy;1750277 said:
The best RB in the league is determined by yards per carry?

Not sure I'm buying that.

I dont think anyone said best. He certainly isnt the best runner.

But if a group of RBs have the same number of carries, the higher the YPC the more productive. Its a very good measure especially for a full time player.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
I've always laughed when people tried to say that Barber was getting all his production because the other team was tired or unsuspecting or too busy counting blades of grass or whatever else excuse was thrown out there.

It doesn't take too much effort to see that there are not many RBs in the league having his sort of success. If it was so easy to produce in Barber's situation, why aren't there a dozen more backups across the league who are scoring TDs at his pace and making plays at his pace?

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
dooomsday;1750287 said:
I dont think anyone said best. He certainly isnt the best runner.

But if a group of RBs have the same number of carries, the higher the YPC the more productive. Its a very good measure especially for a full time player.

There's alot more to it then just the same amount of carries.

What personnel they were in for those carries, what personnel they faced, down & distance, time of game, etc.. all factor into it.

It's not a simple matter of "Same amount of carries, higher YPC wins".

dooomsday

Reaction score
Rack;1750295 said:
There's alot more to it then just the same amount of carries.

What personnel they were in for those carries, what personnel they faced, down & distance, time of game, etc.. all factor into it.

It's not a simple matter of "Same amount of carries, higher YPC wins".

A lot more to what?

I am just making a point about yards, and it is that simple. Same carries, higher YPC = more productive statistically. I am not saying better or anything.

If you refer who's better, I agree, there's much more 2 it. I dont put Barber in the top of the class of runners regardless. But, when all things are considered, TDs, team value, etc. he is up there. I dont think the poster said he was the 2nd best, just looking at YPC. I always look at a RBs YPC as a good measure if the carries are there.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
dooomsday;1750304 said:
A lot more to what?

I am just making a point about yards, and it is that simple. Same carries, higher YPC = more productive. I am not saying better or anything.

If you refer who's better, I agree, there's much more 2 it. I dont put Barber in the top of the class of runners regardless. But, when all things are considered, TDs, team value, etc. he is up there. I dont think the poster said he was the 2nd best, just looking at YPC. I always look at a RBs YPC as a good measure if the carries are there.

No, it isn't.

The only way it comes out that way is if all the carries were done in the exact same situation.

Let's say RB A gets two straight carries from their own 20 yard line and gains 9 yards. That's 4.5 yards per carry.

RB B gets two straight carries on the opponents 1 yard line, resulting in a TD.

There's no possible way RB B could of got more YPC then RB A in that situation.

But RB B was more productive anyway cuz he put points on the board. So YPC does NOT = better production. Not necessarily.

dooomsday

Reaction score
Rack;1750306 said:
No, it isn't.

The only way it comes out that way is if all the carries were done in the exact same situation.

Let's say RB A gets two straight carries from their own 20 yard line and gains 9 yards. That's 4.5 yards per carry.

RB B gets two straight carries on the opponents 1 yard line, resulting in a TD.

There's no possible way RB B could of got more YPC then RB A in that situation.

But RB B was more productive anyway cuz he put points on the board. So YPC does NOT = better production. Not necessarily.

I think we are discussing 2 different things. By production I only meant yards. If 2 guys have the same number of carries, the one with the higher YPC has the more yards. They only way to achieve a higher YPC is to have more yards. Thats quantified, not qualified.

When qualifying I agree. Its just a stat. But, when the carries are there there short and long runs even themselves out. When is becomes deceptive is a guy like Norwood who's long runs spike his YPC due to a low # of carries.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
dooomsday;1750314 said:
I think we are discussing 2 different things. By production I only meant yards. If 2 guys have the same number of carries, the one with the higher YPC has the more yards. They only way to achieve a higher YPC is to have more yards. Thats quantified, not qualified.

When qualifying I agree. Its just a stat. But, when the carries are there there short and long runs even themselves out. When is becomes deceptive is a guy like Norwood who's long runs spike his YPC due to a low # of carries.

That's obvious. But production doesn't necessarily mean yards.

I'll take two carries for 1 yard and a TD over 2 carries for 9 yards.

So obviously higher YPC on equal amount of carries equals more yards, but I was referring to overall production.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I don't know if he is the 2nd best RB in the league but I do think he is one of the better backs in the game right now.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Doomsday101;1750358 said:
I don't know if he is the 2nd best RB in the league but I do think he is one of the better backs in the game right now.
Especially in the 4th quarter.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
big dog cowboy;1750367 said:
Especially in the 4th quarter.

Well with getting carries earlier in the game he has done a great job early as well. Most good RB will produce in the 4th as the defense starts to show cracks because of being tired.

dooomsday

Reaction score
Rack;1750331 said:
That's obvious. But production doesn't necessarily mean yards.

I'll take two carries for 1 yard and a TD over 2 carries for 9 yards.

So obviously higher YPC on equal amount of carries equals more yards, but I was referring to overall production.

Me too. Let me ask you this, when you look at an RB stat line to guage production what are the things/columns you look at?