Marty Schottenheimer could be fired after the Raiders fill their coaching vacancy

Gryphon

Merge Ahead
Reaction score
Now that is wrong!!!!

ProFootballtalk.com reports that there is "talk in league circles" that Marty Schottenheimer could be fired after the Raiders fill their coaching vacancy.
The site doesn't report it as fact, just that there is suspicion within the league. Schottenheimer and GM A.J. Smith have butted heads a few times, but a move so late in the offseason would be surprising. Defensive coordinator Wade Phillips would be the heir apparent if it happened.

Jan. 26 - 4:27 pm et
Source: ProFootballtalk.com

Kittymama

Benched
Reaction score
abersonc said:
consider the source (though I love reading them)
Ditto!

The sad thing is that they're accurate as often as the Dallas brain-trust that passes for sports reporters (particularly Newey & Fisher)--& almost as often as Chris Mortensen.

Mortensen just hypes himself better, but he's basically a gossip columnist just like PFT.

Kittymama

Benched
Reaction score
For instance--they were the first ones to report (& it appears, accurately) about the fight between Chad Johnson & Marvin Lewis. Even ESPN picked it up, & the Bengals have grudgingly acknowledged that "something" happened between the two.

superpunk

Reaction score
Tomorrow's headline....

Schottenheimer hired by Skins, paid King's ransom.

(pandemonium ensues on the Zone.....)

Look how humble Gibbs and Snyder are! Taking Marty back! I wish we were like the Skins!

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Kittymama said:
Ditto!

The sad thing is that they're accurate as often as the Dallas brain-trust that passes for sports reporters (particularly Newey & Fisher)--& almost as often as Chris Mortensen.

Mortensen just hypes himself better, but he's basically a gossip columnist just like PFT.

Too true -- they do nail stuff -- and often other folks claim to break the story.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Gryphon said:
ProFootballtalk.com reports that there is "talk in league circles" that Marty Schottenheimer could be fired after the Raiders fill their coaching vacancy.
That would not surprise me in the least.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Kittymama said:
For instance--they were the first ones to report (& it appears, accurately) about the fight between Chad Johnson & Marvin Lewis. Even ESPN picked it up, & the Bengals have grudgingly acknowledged that "something" happened between the two.
Actually there was a followup on that particular situation. Basically said Chad Johnson was whining about not being more involved in the offense. Frustrated at being doubled and whatnot. It was one of those situations where the receivers coach was talking to Johnson about cooling off and his arms were flailing about and that he ALMOST hit Marvin Lewis in the process.

But there was NO fight and no actual violent contact made.

I'd find the link, but I don't feel like looking for it at the moment. :)

Little Jr

Reaction score
kaboy said:
:confused: Why are the Chargers waiting on the Raiders to fire Marty?

Thats what I was wondering. Maybe they dont want the Raiders to get him. Dont know just a guess.

sbuscha

king****
Reaction score
Could it be strategy..they don't want Marty going to the Raiders in fear of playing him? That wouldn't make any sence though. If I did not think a coach was good enough to run my team I would surely want him going to another team to run it with mediocracy...

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
sbuscha said:
Could it be strategy..they don't want Marty going to the Raiders in fear of playing him? That wouldn't make any sence though. If I did not think a coach was good enough to run my team I would surely want him going to another team to run it with mediocracy...

The Raiders are a better team than their record suggests.

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
SkinsandTerps said:
The Raiders are a better team than their record suggests.

Hows that? Not trying to be a smart--- but I guess I just don't see how their roster would suggest that?

TEK2000

Reaction score
IF that's true... its an obvoius "sabotage" on Marty's chances of finding another NFL head coaching position this season... as all of them would already be filled (I believe).

I think its a load of crap...

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
numnuts23 said:
Hows that? Not trying to be a smart--- but I guess I just don't see how their roster would suggest that?

Kerry Collins was definitely not expected or projected to have the type of season that he did. Probably the worst of his career.
Randy Moss and Jerry Porter as their WRs.
Lamont Jordan who is about the same as Julius Jones at this point.

They have a good team but they were poorly coached. When you have Randy " I take plays off" Moss saying that the head coach isnt disciplined enough than you have problems.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
kaboy said:
:confused: Why are the Chargers waiting on the Raiders to fire Marty?
I think the implication is the last Coaching vacancy will have been filled and Marty would be on the bricks. On top of that they don't want him to go to the most heated rival.

If it's true, that's awfully petty.

joseephuss

Reaction score
The Raiders getting Marty would guarantee no success in the playoffs. :)

The Raiders have some good talent on the offensive side of the ball. Jordan is a capable back and they have lots of receivers. The offensive line is also talented, just not cohesive. I still don't think they have a good defense and now they will be a year older not a year better. Still, they probably should have won a couple of more games this season.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
SkinsandTerps said:
Kerry Collins was definitely not expected or projected to have the type of season that he did. Probably the worst of his career.
Randy Moss and Jerry Porter as their WRs.
Lamont Jordan who is about the same as Julius Jones at this point.

They have a good team but they were poorly coached. When you have Randy " I take plays off" Moss saying that the head coach isnt disciplined enough than you have problems.

I dont see many similarities between Jordan And Jones at all.

Besides that, give or take, 3-4 good and wise off season moves and a decent draft they could win 10-11 games next season