Martz named OC of Detroit?

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
Martz is named Offensive Coordinator for Detroit?

Martz + Roy Williams + Mike Williams + Charlie Rogers + a dead corpse at QB = scary offense.

Martz is a passing guru. He now has a better corps of WRs.

Yikes!

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
cobra said:

Martz + Roy Williams + Mike Williams + Charlie Rogers + a dead corpse at QB = scary offense.

Yikes!
The deal fell through and looks dead.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
maybe he'll revive Joey Harrington...

If a bum like Kurt Warner can look good with Martz, I'm sure that Harrington wouldn't look halfway bad.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
Deal is dead they didnt want to pay him a jacked up contract for coodinator. Thanks Washington lol

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
Hostile said:

Oh thanks! That is good to hear.

Sorry about being behind on the news.

:bang2:

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
cobra said:
Oh thanks! That is good to hear.

Sorry about being behind on the news.

:bang2:

Yep..Hos is right no deal..Martz wanted more $$$ and they said see ya!!! :eek:

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
cobra said:

Yikes!

Martz+ ok WR but injured alot+ fat bust+ huge druggie bust+ QB= nothing to be concerned about

David

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Hostile said:

Yep. Reported yesterday, Martz jumped the gun in announcing
"he" was th OC. Head Coach, in an interview, said he hadn't decided 'cause he needed time to think about the hire. Didn't want to "make a stuupid mistake".

Could be Martz' premature announcement lost him the position.

cowboyfan4life_mark

5 outta 8 ain't bad
Reaction score
Heres an article if anyone is interested:

Martz turns down Lions' offensive coordinator job

By R.B. FALLSTROM, AP Sports Writer
February 2, 2006

AP - Feb 1, 2:47 pm EST
More Photos

ST. LOUIS (AP) -- Mike Martz backed out of the Detroit Lions' offensive coordinator position on Thursday, and the ex-St. Louis Rams coach appears content to sit out next season.

"Obviously, I took the job," Martz said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press. "It just didn't work out with the money.

"There's a bottom-line figure my agent has and I didn't want to have the details, so we just move on."

Martz thought he and new Lions coach Rod Marinelli would have been a very good fit, and that would have been his main reason for taking the job. Martz also thinks Marinelli is a coaching star in the making.

"My visit with Rod was exceptional," Martz said. "I think he's going to be a superstar. Everybody's got talent, nice facilities and all those kinds of things, but who you work with is critical and that was a big plus."

Martz's agent, Bob LaMonte, did not immediately return a telephone message.

ADVERTISEMENT

Martz has been unemployed since the Rams fired him on Jan. 2, the day after St. Louis finished a 6-10 season. He sat out the last 11 games recovering from endocarditis, a bacterial infection of a heart valve, but was cleared to return to duty the day before his six seasons as Rams head coach ended.

The 54-year-old Martz also interviewed for head coaching openings in New Orleans and Oakland, but emphasized he'd be perfectly happy taking a year off. The coach has sold his home in St. Louis County, saying it was "time to downsize anyway," and will relocate to a second home in San Diego in the next week or two.

During his year away from football, he plans to travel with his wife, Julie.

"There's a wrong impression that I'm desperate for a job," Martz said. "I'm not pursuing anything.

"This Detroit thing got real interesting because I like Rod so much, but at this point in my life I'm going to be very choosy, very selective."

But he emphasized his desire to return to the NFL. Martz led the Rams to the playoffs in four of his five full seasons, including a Super Bowl after the 2001 season, and helped the franchise win its only Super Bowl title as the offensive coordinator in 1999.

"I have no desire to retire," Martz said. "But to have a year when you have your health, it's a blessing."

Martz wasn't expecting to be called about the Lions' opening, saying it "came out of left field."

cowboyfan4life_mark

5 outta 8 ain't bad
Reaction score
Lions | Money wasn't the reason Martz wasn't brought on board?
Fri, 3 Feb 2006 10:06:00 -0800

Tom Kowalski, of Mlive.com, reports Detroit Lions head coach Rod Marinelli did not feel comfortable with Mike Martz as the team's potential offensive coordinator. While reports said the two broke off talks because of financial reasons, sources close to the situation note money was not the deal-breaker for the Lions. While Marinelli spoke highly of Martz earlier in the week, he also said he wanted more time to ponder the decision before they officially offered the job to Martz.

Lions | Not taking no for an answer when it comes to Martz
Fri, 3 Feb 2006 13:09:26 -0800

Jim Thomas, of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, reports the Detroit Lions, according to league sources, contacted former St. Louis Rams head coach Mike Martz Friday, Feb. 3, to see if he would reconsider his decision not to take their offensive coordinator job. Could Martz change his mind? While it's unlikely, Martz has changed his mind in the past.

Now that's almost funny.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
cowboyfan4life_mark said:
Lions | Money wasn't the reason Martz wasn't brought on board?
Fri, 3 Feb 2006 10:06:00 -0800

Tom Kowalski, of Mlive.com, reports Detroit Lions head coach Rod Marinelli did not feel comfortable with Mike Martz as the team's potential offensive coordinator. While reports said the two broke off talks because of financial reasons, sources close to the situation note money was not the deal-breaker for the Lions. While Marinelli spoke highly of Martz earlier in the week, he also said he wanted more time to ponder the decision before they officially offered the job to Martz.

Lions | Not taking no for an answer when it comes to Martz
Fri, 3 Feb 2006 13:09:26 -0800

Jim Thomas, of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, reports the Detroit Lions, according to league sources, contacted former St. Louis Rams head coach Mike Martz Friday, Feb. 3, to see if he would reconsider his decision not to take their offensive coordinator job. Could Martz change his mind? While it's unlikely, Martz has changed his mind in the past.

Now that's almost funny.

looks like marinelli is looking out for himself. He doesn;t want martz to be able to take credit for anything good the offense might do, and undermine him and possibly get his job later on.

baj1dallas

Reaction score
BigDFan5 said:
looks like marinelli is looking out for himself. He doesn;t want martz to be able to take credit for anything good the offense might do, and undermine him and possibly get his job later on.

I think what happened is Marinelli realized Martz wasn't likely to stick around long enough to build anything. All about the loyalty...