Marvin Williams could go from 6th man to No. 1

jacs

I'd Hit It
Reaction score
By RALPH D. RUSSO, AP Sports Writer

NEW YORK (AP) -- Marvin Williams has the talent and temperament to pull off the odd transition from first player off the bench in college to first player selected in the NBA draft.

The gifted, 6-foot-8 forward made a brief but overwhelmingly productive stop at North Carolina on his way to Tuesday night's draft at Madison Square Garden, where he won't have to wait long to find where he'll be playing next season.

The Bucks hold the first pick and have narrowed their choices to Williams or Utah center Andrew Bogut, but at this point it would be an upset if Milwaukee didn't take the Australian 7-footer.

Next up is the Atlanta Hawks, who seem ready to pounce on the player the Bucks pass up.

``I'm not worried about whether I go No. 1 or No. 2,'' Williams said Monday as he and about a dozen other prospective first-rounders met with the media at a Manhattan hotel. ``I'm more concerned how I fit in with the team that takes me.''

Fitting in is one of the things Williams did best in his one year of college.

He was one of the most sought-after players in the country coming out of Bremerton High School in Washington and probably could have skipped college altogether and been a first-round draft pick last season.

But he was lured to Chapel Hill by Roy Williams, knowing the Tar Heels were loaded and the spotlight would not be his.

Marvin Williams was relegated to sixth-man, deferring to established stars Sean May, Raymond Felton and Rashad McCants.

``I didn't start, but I was just trying to do what's best for the team,'' the 19-year-old player said.

Still, he made quite an impression.

``He's a freakish athlete,'' said May, also a likely first-round pick along with Felton and McCants. ``He can do everything. He can handle it. He can defend. Long arms. Quick. Knows how to play. Loves the game. Gym rat. I think he has the ability to be a huge scorer.''

Williams was a reserve in all 36 of North Carolina's games, averaging 11.3 points and 6.6 rebounds in 22 minutes. He was the fifth-leading scorer on a team that won a national championship.

The fact that Williams didn't disturb the chemistry of a veteran team, and in fact seemed to improve it, has to make the mild-mannered teen even more appealing in a league filled with me-first players.

``You wouldn't expect a freshman to come in and teach you (work) habits,'' May said. ``But he came in and taught us a lot about the game, his ability to work.

``I give him credit for the reason why we're all here and the reason why we all have a ring on our finger.''

Bogut and Williams appear to have locked up the first two spots in the draft, though the Hawks have a more pressing need in the backcourt. The best player on the NBA's worst team last year was forward Al Harrington, who averaged 17.5 points and 7.0 rebounds, both team highs.

And the Hawks' top pick last year, Josh Smith, the NBA's Slam Dunk champ, plays small forward -- like Williams.

With point guards Chris Paul and Deron Williams available, could the Hawks go in that direction?

``I probably have an idea who we want, but I will keep that to myself,'' general manager Billy Knight said. ``We don't have to make it until Tuesday night, and we will take all that time to keep meeting to figure out who we want. The bottom line is, we are pleased with the players we are going to have at No. 2. We think we are going to be overjoyed.''

The one knock on Williams is lack of experience, but considering he played one more year of college ball than the last four No. 1 overall picks combined, that doesn't seem to be much of an issue.

Williams has shown all the skills and athleticism NBA teams are looking for. He just hasn't had as many chances as Bogut, Paul and Deron Williams to display his game against top competition.

He certainly won't be offended by being taken behind Bogut, the college player of the year.

``It does seem like Milwaukee is heading toward Bogut, but I don't blame them,'' Williams said. ``He's a great player.

``I'm young. I still have a lot of basketball to learn.''

Link