Mathias Kiwanuka staying in school

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
Kiwi Coming Back

Big East Defensive Player of the Year decides to return for senior year

Jan. 7, 2005

Boston College defensive end Mathias Kiwanuka announced Friday that he has decided to return to Boston College for his senior season of football. Kiwanuka had been considering entering the upcoming NFL draft.

"I have made my final decision, I will be staying at Boston College for my last year of eligibility," Kiwanuka says. "After talking to a lot of people, I decided the best thing for my family and for me was to come back for my senior year. I went back and forth through the whole process, but when I finally got home and had time to consider what was important to me and the people around me, I made my final decision."

Kiwanuka, the 2004 Big East Defensive Player of the Year, said having the opportunity to play in the ACC and to finish the classwork necessary to obtain his Boston College degree played key roles in his decision.

"It's a great day for Boston College football," Coach Tom O'Brien says. "Throughout this process, my job was to provide as much information as I could for him so that he could make an informed decision. I give him a lot of credit. He listened to a lot of sources and got a lot of information and processed it and made the decision that was best for him. We were going to support him either way he decided to go. But we're very happy he's staying."

Kiwanuka, the first junior to be voted tri-captain during O'Brien's career, finished the 2004 season with 67 total tackles (36 solos), 24.5 TFLs for 117 yards, 11.5 sacks for 82 yards and two interceptions. He was a unanimous choice for the All-Big East first team.

http://www.collegesports.com/sports...010705aaz.html#

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Good for him. He seems like a smart kid. He probably needs another year at that level to refine his skills anyway.

Looks like we'll be looking at the Merriman kid from Maryland.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Cowboy from New York said:
Time to redo my draft wish list.

Just replace "Kiwanaku" with "Merriman". :D

Supposedly, that Merriman kid can play 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB, so he seems like a good fit.

Shotgun Dave

Reaction score
David Pollack. David Pollack. David Pollack. David Pollack. David Pollack. David Pollack. David Pollack. David Pollack. David Pollack. David Pollack. David Pollack. David Pollack. David Pollack. David Pollack. David Pollack. David Pollack. David Pollack. David Pollack. David Pollack. David Pollack. David Pollack. David Pollack. David Pollack. David Pollack. David Pollack. David Pollack. David Pollack. David Pollack. David Pollack. David Pollack. David Pollack. David Pollack. David Pollack. David Pollack. David Pollack. David Pollack. David Pollack. David Pollack. David Pollack. David Pollack.

So...Any other DE's you think we oughtta take?

:rolleyes:

Bobo

Reaction score
Well dang. I think he's pretty good now, but has a lot more potential. A guy like Pollack may be more pollished, but probably not as much up side. Oh well, there's still plenty of DE's we could get in the 1st, or maybe 2nd.

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
Dang. I was hoping he'd declare to push some high prospects down to our pick.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Kids not strong enough yet, still a little raw.

needs a year to hit the weights. Instead of being a mid to low Round 1 he could go top 5 next year.

lkelly

Reaction score
No way he made it out of the top 10. With the premium that teams place on DEs, and the measurables he had, he was a lock. If he did drop to us, I think it would have taken Jerry and Bill a few seconds to get the card up to Tags.

He'll be a top 3 pick next year if he stays healthy.

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
Shotgun Dave said:
David Pollack. David Pollack. David Pollack. David Pollack. David Pollack. David Pollack. David Pollack. David Pollack. David Pollack. David Pollack. David Pollack. David Pollack. David Pollack. David Pollack. David Pollack. David Pollack. David Pollack. David Pollack. David Pollack. David Pollack. David Pollack. David Pollack. David Pollack. David Pollack. David Pollack. David Pollack. David Pollack. David Pollack. David Pollack. David Pollack. David Pollack. David Pollack. David Pollack. David Pollack. David Pollack. David Pollack. David Pollack. David Pollack. David Pollack. David Pollack.

So...Any other DE's you think we oughtta take?

:rolleyes:
Sounds like you want Pollack, just guessing though.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Mine too.

I now have Marcus Spears and Erasmus James as interchangeable 1 a and 1b.

Marcus Spears is another Greg Ellis. No thanks. We need an explosive pass rusher, not another run stuffer. JMO.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Rack said:
Marcus Spears is another Greg Ellis. No thanks. We need an explosive pass rusher, not another run stuffer. JMO.

Spears, LSU and Saban 3-4 4-3 he's BP/BB coach tree. He's ideal for that system anad will be a solid Pro. Not an All Pro but a valuable piece of a better defense. He's on my board for consideration at 20 or a trade down.

I also think Ellis can easily add 10 pounds. He's a player.

SALADIN

Jumper
Reaction score
Nors said:
Spears, LSU and Saban 3-4 4-3 he's BP/BB coach tree. He's ideal for that system anad will be a solid Pro. Not an All Pro but a valuable piece of a better defense. He's on my board for consideration at 20 or a trade down.

I also think Ellis can easily add 10 pounds. He's a player.

Why draft a player in the 1st who you don't think can be an All Pro? If that's the kind of player you're looking for then you might as well wait to the 2nd and see who slips.

And if Ellis could add 10 more lbs (SO EASILY) and still keep is speed, stregth and quickness wouldn't it have benefited him to do this years ago?

If a player can still be the same player regardless of weight, speed and strength what difference would it make other than in the Team Program?

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
SALADIN said:
Why draft a player in the 1st who you don't think can be an All Pro? If that's the kind of player you're looking for then you might as well wait to the 2nd and see who slips.

And if Ellis could add 10 more lbs (SO EASILY) and still keep is speed, stregth and quickness wouldn't it have benefited him to do this years ago?

If a player can still be the same player regardless of weight, speed and strength what difference would it make other than in the Team Program?

He's been asked to play a 4-3 role. He's been rumoured for years to be a DT convert. He can be a 3-4 end and play at 290 - JMO

Because Spears is Richard Seymour - maybe I sold him short on All Pro - he's be a stud add to our TEAM.