Matt Bryant isn't a bad option...

juck

Reaction score
bryant was 84% overall last year.Vinatieri was 81.9%.And for the major difference in cash,I say he is a good option.

Jay

Reaction score
Kicking in New England compared to kicking in Tampa is a huge difference. When you consider 2/3 of NE's other divisional opponents are cold weather places, while Tampa plays in either domes (NO, Atl) or warm Carolina.

Not to say that Bryant wouldn't be a good option, I just think that no one would be better than Vinatieri. He's a great kicker, and him kicking in Texas Stadium would be perfect, not to mention he's used to the cold for our other divisional games.

Just my two cents. I think weather plays a big difference for kickers.

juck

Reaction score
I agree all your points are valid.This is such a vital position,especially now with the nfc east so tight.

Dayton Cowboy

Reaction score
Jay said:
Kicking in New England compared to kicking in Tampa is a huge difference. When you consider 2/3 of NE's other divisional opponents are cold weather places, while Tampa plays in either domes (NO, Atl) or warm Carolina.

Not to say that Bryant wouldn't be a good option, I just think that no one would be better than Vinatieri. He's a great kicker, and him kicking in Texas Stadium would be perfect, not to mention he's used to the cold for our other divisional games.

Just my two cents. I think weather plays a big difference for kickers.

How different would the weather be for Dallas compared to Tampa? Or also how different would the late season games be in weather comparing different game sites? I agree it does make a difference for a kicker though.. He wouldn't be my first choice. It definately would be Adam V. but only at a reasonal price.

Jay

Reaction score
No doubt juckie. You being from Pittsburgh, you should understand what the cold weather can do to a kicker. It's like kicking a rock. I'm from Connecticut myself, so we both know about the cold weather. :(

But I think you're right about Bryant. He could definitely be a good option, as could Longwell. I did not realize how accurate Bryant was last season.

I think alot of it depends on what we're looking to do in free agency and how our cap situation allows us to spend during this free agency period. I have a feeling if we want Vinatieri though, we need to make a push for him early.

Edit: Dallas/Tampa weather would be pretty similar. My point was that in comparing kicking percentages, I think it's a little unfair to Vinatieri. That's all I was trying to convey.

Woods

Reaction score
Jay said:
No doubt juckie. You being from Pittsburgh, you should understand what the cold weather can do to a kicker. It's like kicking a rock. I'm from Connecticut myself, so we both know about the cold weather. :(

But I think you're right about Bryant. He could definitely be a good option, as could Longwell. I did not realize how accurate Bryant was last season.

I think alot of it depends on what we're looking to do in free agency and how our cap situation allows us to spend during this free agency period. I have a feeling if we want Vinatieri though, we need to make a push for him early.

Edit: Dallas/Tampa weather would be pretty similar. My point was that in comparing kicking percentages, I think it's a little unfair to Vinatieri. That's all I was trying to convey.

Not sure about this, but was Bryant also injured at TB?

I think he would have made our team, however, he was also injured with us and we were forced to release him.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
juckie said:
bryant was 84% overall last year.Vinatieri was 81.9%.And for the major difference in cash,I say he is a good option.

that's not so good an analysis - Bryant missed 2 kicks inside the 30 - he has only 9 career TBs.

compare that to Vini - he's missed 4 from inside the 30 in his 10 year career. He was 80% last year but 2 of his misses were from outside of 50 yards. Last season, Vini had 10 TBs -- that's more than Bryant managed in his 4 year career

dallasblue05

Reaction score
Did Vinatieri (sp) get released or something? I'm a little out of the loop from being deployed........I would really doubt that NE would let him go.

TheHustler

Reaction score
dallasblue05 said:
Did Vinatieri (sp) get released or something? I'm a little out of the loop from being deployed........I would really doubt that NE would let him go.

He will be a FA once free agency starts..... They haven't resigned/tagged him.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
Woods said:
Not sure about this, but was Bryant also injured at TB?

I think he would have made our team, however, he was also injured with us and we were forced to release him.

I don't think he was injured with TB. He actually made the game-winner against the Falcons on the last day of the season that knocked the Falcons out of the playoffs.

But, yes he's the guy Parcells said reminded him a little bit of Matt Bahr. That was right before he was injured at the end of the pre-season.

That history with Parcells, combined with his good year last year and relatively cheap price tag, is what makes this a no-brainer.

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
Vinatieri will most likely stay in NE, but if he didn't he wouldn't be a Cowboy, Jones is not going to pay a kicker in the 2.5 mil. range. I really don't see it happening.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Yep, Bryant pulled a hammy in Tampa Bay. He's always injured which is why he's never really stuck with a team.

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
CaptainAmerica said:
I don't think he was injured with TB. He actually made the game-winner against the Falcons on the last day of the season that knocked the Falcons out of the playoffs.

But, yes he's the guy Parcells said reminded him a little bit of Matt Bahr. That was right before he was injured at the end of the pre-season.

That history with Parcells, combined with his good year last year and relatively cheap price tag, is what makes this a no-brainer.

I think Bryant is the obvious choice, if wasn't for his injury that year he was going to beat Cundiff out. Plus as you said the cheap price tag and familiarity with the coach make this a no brainer.

Rockytop6

Reaction score
4lifecowboy said:
I think Bryant is the obvious choice, if wasn't for his injury that year he was going to beat Cundiff out. Plus as you said the cheap price tag and familiarity with the coach make this a no brainer.

I would take Longwell.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Like Cortez, he's the quintessential journeyman kicker due to injuries or ineffectiveness. Pass.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
juckie said:

I agree I think Bryant would be a good fix for the Cowboys