Mavericks and Cowboys analogy...

newlander

Reaction score
Seems to me we have two very similar situations with these teams. Both owners are filthy rich and ultra competitive. They love to win and don't mind paying whatever they have to in order to do so. Everything is top notch and players aspire to play for both teams as they are first class. However, I get the feeling the same overpayed, overhyped, SOFT, aura surrounds both franchises right now due to their coaching staffs underperforming. There is lots of speculation about Wade and rightfully so right now. Personally, I don't think there is any way he coaches this team to the playoffs; too many injuries and bad chemistry. So JJ has a monumental decision going into the new stadium next year: Red or someone new? I vote for Cowher but after Crennel wins about three games this year Cleveland supposedly has the inside track. Lots of threads in here about Red, but one thing is undeniable: he's here now as OC and the offense isn't performing up to snuff: and that was before the injuries. JJ is smart enough to know this team needs a Jimmy Johnson type discipinarian as coach; preferably one that can fix this sad sack, underperforming defense. So if no Cowher, or no Fisher, then....................my next choice would be Spagnolo of the Gmen. Hate to say it after the midget lost out on him last year but his schemes are awesome and he is high intensity, hard nosed all the time. I admire Garrett's smarts: I really do, but this team really needs discipline, fire and intensity right now. Rant over.:cool:

utrunner07

Reaction score
newlander;2336459 said:
Seems to me we have two very similar situations with these teams. Both owners are filthy rich and ultra competitive. They love to win and don't mind paying whatever they have to in order to do so. Everything is top notch and players aspire to play for both teams as they are first class. However, I get the feeling the same overpayed, overhyped, SOFT, aura surrounds both franchises right now due to their coaching staffs underperforming. There is lots of speculation about Wade and rightfully so right now. Personally, I don't think there is any way he coaches this team to the playoffs; too many injuries and bad chemistry. So JJ has a monumental decision going into the new stadium next year: Red or someone new? I vote for Cowher but after Crennel wins about three games this year Cleveland supposedly has the inside track. Lots of threads in here about Red, but one thing is undeniable: he's here now as OC and the offense isn't performing up to snuff: and that was before the injuries. JJ is smart enough to know this team needs a Jimmy Johnson type discipinarian as coach; preferably one that can fix this sad sack, underperforming defense. So if no Cowher, or no Fisher, then....................my next choice would be Spagnolo of the Gmen. Hate to say it after the midget lost out on him last year but his schemes are awesome and he is high intensity, hard nosed all the time. I admire Garrett's smarts: I really do, but this team really needs discipline, fire and intensity right now. Rant over.:cool:

Something a lot of people miss is that many coaches are flat out going to refuse to coach here becuase of Jerry, Cowher being one of them. Your Spagnolo idea is interesting though, and I agree with comparing the Mavs and Cowboys. BTW, im not sure Jerry is smart enough to realize what this team needs....and if he is, I know he is not willing to sacrifice his ego to go get it.

newlander

Reaction score
I guess I could have saved all that room and just said: "Coaching counts". But then we all know that now. I wonder if Jerry could turn back time he would have let Jimmy.......oh never mind.

newlander

Reaction score
Agree totally utrunner. Cowher and/or Fisher wouldn't coach for JJ unless he hired another GM and got out of the way. Come to think of it, that's the reason it was reported Spagnolo turned down the midget. (didn't want Cerrato and the dwarf breathing down his neck 24/7)As I said, I love JJ's passion, commitment, etc....but as you pointed out: he has to sacrifice his ego, HIRE A REAL GM, and get the *** out of the way. It could happen: doubt it, but ya never know. Maybe he and his gravy training kid (couldn't have been more unimpressed with him during hard knocks) will put a serious buzz on some night and come to the realization that what they are doing IS NOT WORKING ANYMORE.............here's hoping.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
In my opinion, this team let the hype go to their head. They started believing how good they are. They came out flat three weeks in a row playing down to their competition.

That and they're soft like the Mavs, so adversity isnt exactly a good thing right now.