Maybe the Boys lost more than sacks when Ellis went down

baj1dallas

Reaction score
I see a lot of stuff about the Cowboys not playing with intensity. Lacking confidence. And I don't think people are wrong. The defense just wasn't as good as it should have been and it wasn't as good as it started off the season.

Maybe when Ellis went down, the Cowboys lost more than 8 or 10 sacks. More than some number of tackles and hurries. Maybe they lost their heart and soul? Their leader, who could hold people accountable? Certainly they lost their captain, but maybe Ellis was the guy on the field holding them together at times?

If so, maybe his return, even at say 90%, could pay big dividends next year. Well I hope it will anyway. Anybody else think it may?

dguinta1

Reaction score
Been saying it since it happened, huge lose for the Boys when he went down.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
I think too much is being made from losing Ellis... just like last year too much was made from losing Flo...

Each of the last 2 years we are making too much about losing ONE, yes ONE player..... other teams do or have done MORE with LESS

Doomsday101

Reaction score
YoMick;1316222 said:
I think too much is being made from losing Ellis... just like last year too much was made from losing Flo...

Each of the last 2 years we are making too much about losing ONE, yes ONE player..... other teams do or have done MORE with LESS

I agree. Losing Ellis did hurt but it should not have affected us as much as it did. I do think Carpenter was coming on strong towards the end and hopefully he will have a good off-season and be able to pick up where he left off.

MetalHead

Benched
Reaction score
YoMick;1316222 said:

True that.
I refuse to believe that losing a player who has never posted double digit sacks and playing a new position was that big of a loss.
Besides,if they can't apply pressure,why send their best pass rusher into coverage?
It's all about scheme.

No doubt in my mind.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Doomsday101;1316226 said:
I agree. Losing Ellis did hurt but it should not have affected us as much as it did. I do think Carpenter was coming on strong towards the end and hopefully he will have a good off-season and be able to pick up where he left off.

I think BP should have trusted Carp sooner. What could it have hurt. The guy is a player, no doubt has talent. Things could have been a little different.

Artie Lange;1316230 said:
True that.
I refuse to believe that losing a player who has never posted double digit sacks and playing a new position was that big of a loss.
Besides,if they can't apply pressure,why send their best pass rusher into coverage?
It's all about scheme.

No doubt in my mind.

I agree with some of this. I have no prob dropping Ware into coverage sometimes... he makes plays there too... but the scheme was flawed... he needs someone on the other side of him to be truly effective in both the rushing of the passer and the dropping in coverage

Doomsday101

Reaction score
YoMick;1316233 said:
I think BP should have trusted Carp sooner. What could it have hurt. The guy is a player, no doubt has talent. Things could have been a little different.

I agree with some of this. I have no prob dropping Ware into coverage sometimes... he makes plays there too... but the scheme was flawed... he needs someone on the other side of him to be truly effective in both the rushing of the passer and the dropping in coverage

I don't think it is just a matter of trust, we don't see these guys in practice and we don't know how much understanding they have while the coaches do. To throw any player out there who is not up to speed is a mistake unless you have no intent of winning.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Doomsday101;1316235 said:
I don't think it is just a matter of trust, we don't see these guys in practice and we don't know how much understanding they have while the coaches do. To throw any player out there who is not up to speed is a mistake unless you have no intent of winning.

Who is to say he wasnt ready sooner? I bet that Belichek would have had him out there sooner(ready sooner too if your theory w/ BP is true)... Bill is known for waiting too long on getting players on the field.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
YoMick;1316244 said:
Who is to say he wasnt ready sooner? I bet that Belichek would have had him out there sooner(ready sooner too if your theory w/ BP is true)... Bill is known for waiting too long on getting players on the field.

Bill is known for putting players on the field who are ready not before they are ready. As for Belichek I don't know what he would do one way or the other but I do know that putting a player on the field who is a bit lost in what his job is needs to wait until he is ready. This is the same BS regarding Romo, why did he not play sooner because he was not ready and to throw a player out there just because some fans want it is not a good enough reason.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Doomsday101;1316245 said:
Bill is known for putting players on the field who are ready not before they are ready. As for Belichek I don't know what he would do one way or the other but I do know that putting a player on the field who is a bit lost in what his job is needs to wait until he is ready. This is the same BS regarding Romo, why did he not play sooner because he was not ready and to throw a player out there just because some fans want it is not a good enough reason.

My friend... our defense spent most of the last half of the season looking lost... a little spark by Carpenter would have been welcome. Not everything said or done by BP is "ManLaw" :lmao2:

Yeah and Romo should have at the very least seen some real game time action last year or sooner this year.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
YoMick;1316251 said:
My friend... our defense spent most of the last half of the season looking lost... a little spark by Carpenter would have been welcome. Not everything said or done by BP is "ManLaw" :lmao2:

Yeah and Romo should have at the very least seen some real game time action last year or sooner this year.

I don't think Parcells would hold a guy back if he felt he was ready. As I said we are not at Valley Ranch so we really do not know what Carpenter situation was but there was nothing to gain by not playing him if he was ready. I will trust a coach over a fan any day of the week when it comes to this because the fan is only guessing the coaches see it day in and day out so yes I think they have a lot more info to go on

baj1dallas

Reaction score
Artie Lange;1316230 said:
True that.
It's all about scheme.

No doubt in my mind.

What I'm postulating is that Ellis was more than his numbers. He was the ONE GUY on that defense keeping guys in check. Zimmer couldn't do it, even with his heavy hand, even Parcells couldn't do it. Sometimes the coaches just can't, not every play of every game. But players can, certain ones anyway. Take Peyton Manning...everybody on that offense has to be accountable to him, if they even take one play off or aren't prepared. Maybe Ellis had the same role on the defense. They don't feel guilty about slacking off unless there are players holding them accountable, and the Boys lack that leadership on the field without Ellis.

ddh33

Reaction score
I think there is an obvious issue when your two captains aren't playing. Ellis, in particular, was probably severely missed as a guy who could keep everyone in line.

However, this team really should have been able to overcome that. The problem was that this team had a tough time coming back when they got punched in the face.