Maybin, Williams impress at Pro Day

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
Former Penn State players make up for lost time at the school's annual Pro Day.

4:46 PM EDT, March 18, 2009

STATE COLLEGE - Aaron Maybin and Derrick Williams left their former practice facility today feeling more confident about their futures. Both former Penn State football players ran significantly better times in the 40-yard dash at Penn State's annual Pro Day than they did at last month's NFL Combine in Indianapolis.

Maybin, an all-American defensive end who gave up his final year of eligibility, ran his best 40 in 4.53 seconds today, a quarter-second faster than his time at the Combine. He also improved on his vertical jump (38 to 40 inches) and broad jump (10-4 to 10-10) in a performance that should solidify him as a first-round pick in next month's NFL Draft.

"It was a good day," Maybin said outside Holuba Hall afterward. "I know my athletic ability and I know what I'm capable of. I put some numbers on the board that are indicative of the kind of player I am."

After the session, Maybin met with representatives from the Miami Dolphins and New York Giants. His agent, former Penn State receiver Chafie Fields, said most NFL teams have shown interest.

"Aaron Maybin is a freak of nature," Fields said. "Today only solidified that he's a freak."

Williams ran a 4.65 40 at the Combine, where he had bronchitis and the flu. Fields pleaded with the receiver not to run that day, but "me being a hard head, I went out there and tried to work out anyway," Williams said.

Today, Williams' lowest 40 time was 4.37, which would have put him in the top 5 among receivers at the Combine. He also improved his bench press from 15 to 18 repetitions at 225 pounds.

"He did exceptionally," Fields said. "He helped himself."

More than a dozen former Penn State players participated in the Pro Day, which was attended by scouts from all 32 NFL teams, including Carolina Panthers head coach John Fox.

Scouts from the Philadelphia Eagles will be in State College on Friday for a private workout with former receivers Williams, Deon Butler and Jordan Norwood.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
nice, one worry is that the Eagles were the most prominent team to look at Williams, Jordan Norwood and Deon Butler

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
JerryAdvocate;2695110 said:
nice, one worry is that the Eagles were the most prominent team to look at Williams, Jordan Norwood and Deon Butler

why? they are the team closest to them geographically.

most braindead iggle fans are psu fans as well.

interesting how much faster derrick williams is.... makes him a different player on the draft boards for sure.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
jterrell;2695139 said:
why? they are the team closest to them geographically.

most braindead iggle fans are psu fans as well.

interesting how much faster derrick williams is.... makes him a different player on the draft boards for sure.

I'm just saying that if they pair a guy like Deon Butler with DeSean Jackson, they are going to be pretty scary

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
JerryAdvocate;2695140 said:
I'm just saying that if they pair a guy like Deon Butler with DeSean Jackson, they are going to be pretty scary
It would be the rebirth of the Smurfs as both of these guys are small and slightly built.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
If this solidifies Maybin as a first rounder, it pushes another blue chipper closer to Dallas. All good.