CFZ Mazi Smith: Low-Key Consistency

Pass2Run

Reaction score
So, I was just looking at Mazi Smith's highlight reel. I noticed there were enough highlight type plays, that I could put a number on at what point in time he shows up in games. And there are a couple of impressive momemts there, where he makes a key contribution, albeit not fancy by any means. I'll just say that I gather he plays the role he's coached to play, so we're just getting a slight taste of what he can do, by looking at that role, from what I gather. Michigan sticks to certain old school type tactics, and likes to key in on the run, which was Mazi's gig there.
There's not a whole lot to glean here; specifically, the key is to look at specifics to get an overall picture. His highlight type plays showed up 13 times in the 1st quarter, 9 times in the 2nd quarter, 14 times in the 3rd quarter, and 12 times in the 4th quarter, with one of his 3rd quarter plays contributing to a fumble for their opening drive in the 4th quarter. So, Mazi looks like a player who shows up throughout the game. He's not just a first-half warrior.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good review. Plays all game long and doesn't take plays off it seems. Translate that into the NFL.

Unlike the guy the Eagles took takes plays off in Davis (unless he changes this season) that our Eagles slobberers on here went on about.

Can't wait to see Mazi and his impact this season. And has a good one to learn from in Hankins by his side.

Also can't wait to see our offense against college defense...the Georgia Eagles...or ..Philly Bulldogs ... :laugh:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Smith played a lot of snaps per game and had the #1 job on any Harbaugh coached team. They might run but it will not be up the middle, if he can help it.

He played a role on that defense in a league that still likes to run the ball. However, he still has some learning to do that at the NFL level.

I think the challenge with some regarding Mazi Smith is that he is not Aaron Donald but no other DT in the NFL is either. I think many got comfortable with the Parsons comparisons to Lawrence Taylor and think that's the norm.

Smith's #1 assignment, just be better than the guy they had there before. If he is, he was a successful 1st round pick. It's not about picking All Pros, it is about upgrades to lift the team.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Smith played a lot of snaps per game and had the #1 job on any Harbaugh coached team. They might run but it will not be up the middle, if he can help it.

He played a role on that defense in a league that still likes to run the ball. However, he still has some learning to do that at the NFL level.

I think the challenge with some regarding Mazi Smith is that he is not Aaron Donald but no other DT in the NFL is either. I think many got comfortable with the Parsons comparisons to Lawrence Taylor and think that's the norm.

Smith's #1 assignment, just be better than the guy they had there before. If he is, he was a successful 1st round pick. It's not about picking All Pros, it is about upgrades to lift the team.
I don't care what label one attaches to this rook, if he does his job...paint this fan seeing progress and happy, both.

CWR

Reaction score
So, I was just looking at Mazi Smith's highlight reel. I noticed there were enough highlight type plays, that I could put a number on at what point in time he shows up in games. And there are a couple of impressive momemts there, where he makes a key contribution, albeit not fancy by any means. I'll just say that I gather he plays the role he's coached to play, so we're just getting a slight taste of what he can do, by looking at that role, from what I gather. Michigan sticks to certain old school type tactics, and likes to key in on the run, which was Mazi's gig there.
There's not a whole lot to glean here; specifically, the key is to look at specifics to get an overall picture. His highlight type plays showed up 13 times in the 1st quarter, 9 times in the 2nd quarter, 14 times in the 3rd quarter, and 12 times in the 4th quarter, with one of his 3rd quarter plays contributing to a fumble for their opening drive in the 4th quarter. So, Mazi looks like a player who shows up throughout the game. He's not just a first-half warrior.

This is one of the most low key exciting 1st round picks we've had in awhile.

We've been starved for a DT stud. If this guy delivers he take this defense to the next level, which is ELITE.

CWR

Reaction score

Anyone expecting him to be AD isn't really worth talking too. Lol

CWR

Reaction score
Perhaps coach him up, first...

I'm not saying he can't have a massive impact, just that they have different games. They aren't a good comparison. That and AD is just different, a freak of nature type different.

JayFord

Reaction score
this whole defense is going to have the same energy as macho man randy savage cutting a promo in the late 80s

OHHHHH YEEEEEAHHHH

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
This is going to turn out to be a great pick. If you think about it this defenses Achilles heel even the past couple years when we've been good has been run D. Were in a division with the eagles and giants who love to run the read option stuff. Having a guy that can stuff those runs up the middle allows the ends to stay home a bit.

Between him and getting Gilmore this defense can be even scarier next year.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I'm trying to balance my eager excitement and raising the bar too high. It would be outstanding if he was a plug & play.