Mazi Smith reacts to Cowboys' trade for Jordan Phillips, more

CCBoy

Reaction score
Dread it. Run from it. Destiny arrives all the same.

For Smith, that destiny will manifest by way of his coronation as starting nose tackle for the Cowboys in 2024, his time spent studying behind Johnathan Hankins as a rookie now being transferred into competing with 6-foot-6, 341 lb. defensive tackle Jordan Phillips — the Cowboys having struck a trade deal with the rival New York Giants to land the former second-round pick ahead of the second preseason outing.

Following the final full practice of the week before heading to Las Vegas to take on the Raiders, Smith held court and spoke about the Phillips' trade, the vocal coaching style of defensive line coach Jeff Zgonina, his brand-new Cowboys tattoo and plenty more.

It was a conversation that revealed plenty of psychological growth within the mind of the budding 23-year-old, matching what he's showing on the field this summer in Oxnard.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/mazi-smith-reacts-to-cowboys-trade-for-jordan-phillips-more

CCBoy

Reaction score
08_15_phillips_lawson

OXNARD, Calif. — There's a whole lot of beef heading toward the defensive line of the

OXNARD, Calif. — There's a whole lot of beef heading toward the defensive line of the Dallas Cowboys ahead of their preseason matchup against the Las Vegas Raiders. Within less than 24 hours of concluding their second scrimmage against the Los Angeles Rams, they're finalizing a trade for defensive tackle Jordan Phillips, but there's more, also expected to sign Carl Lawson.

Lawson was included in a workout group — following the loss of Sam Williams to a season-ending torn ACL — that also featured Shaka Toney and Al-Quadin Muhammad, the latter two signing at the time. Toney was waived/injured on Wednesday, however, clearing a path for Lawson to make his way to Oxnard.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/cowboys-to-sign-carl-lawson-following-trade-for-jordan-phillips

CCBoy

Reaction score
Trades are relatively rare in the NFL, and trades between division rivals happen even less frequently.

Teams are understandably reluctant to send valuable assets to teams they'll directly compete with, even if they're able to get something in return.

This wasn't a concern for the Dallas Cowboys and New York Giants, who have pulled off a trade just before the start of the 2024 regular season.

According to NFL insider Josina Anderson, the Cowboys are acquiring defensive lineman Jordan Phillips from the Giants.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Phillips was a second-round pick out of Oklahoma in 2015, after earning All-Conference honors in the Big 12 in his final college season.

He was drafted with the No. 52 overall pick by the Miami Dolphins. Phillips was waived by the Dolphins in 2018, and found his way on to the Bills later that season.

Phillips had the best season of his career in 2019 with the Bills, playing in 16 games and recording a team-high 9.5 sacks.

He would go on to spend the next two seasons in Arizona with the Cardinals after signing a three-year deal with them in free agency.

Phillips made his return to Buffalo in 2022, but was unable to return to the same form he showed in his first stint with the team.

https://thespun.com/nfl/dallas-cowb...ree-to-rare-trade-weeks-before-regular-season

John813

Reaction score
Mazi sort of reminds me of Phillips. The tools are all there. Can it all fit in the toolbox?

Phillips had the athletics to go with his size. Just never put it all together as hoped in miami.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Tom Pelissero
@TomPelissero

The #Cowboys are signing veteran DE Carl Lawson, per sources. More reinforcements for Dallas, which also traded for DT Jordan Phillips. Lawson has 27 career sacks.

6:06 AM · Aug 15, 2024
·
Views

Lawson has had an injury history that’s kept him off the field throughout his career; however, when he’s on the field, he has made plays. He has tallied 27 sacks in 73 games, has 150 pressures, 83 QB hits, and a pressure percentage of 13.1%.

CCBoy

Reaction score
It's difficult to label Carl Lawson as an elite pass rusher when he has never posted more than 8.5 sacks in a single season. Yet, we all know expectations get inflated when a player wears The Star on their helmet.

Lawson would have been a valuable depth piece in the pass rush rotation, but now he is expected to be one of the main sources of quarterback pressure after Sam Williams was lost for the season.

The expectations are unfair, but it comes with the territory. At best, Lawson becomes a valuable piece on the edge who can at least equal the impact lost with the departure of Dante Fowler Jr.

At worst, the Cowboys took a chance on an oft-injured player to satisfy a fanbase that was clamoring for a big move to be made.

https://insidethestar.com/cowboys-address-defensive-line-with-a-new-acquisition-in-consecutive-days/

CCBoy

Reaction score
And it doesn't hurt the Cowboys have a couple of elite rushers on the outside in Micah Parsons and DeMarcus Lawrence, who have seven Pro Bowls between them. Ironically enough, when Phillips first walked onto the Cowboys' practice field Thursday night after a light walk-through, he ended up striking up a conversation with two players - Parsons and Lawrence.

"It's going to be fun. Every D-line that I've ever been on has great edge rushers," Phillips said. "And I've always been that guy in the middle that can push the pocket and flush people to them. I'm excited to help them get some more sacks."

At a listed size of 6-6, 341, Phillips knows his job to fight through double-teams and stop the run. But he's no stranger to the quarterback sack himself. He's got 24 career sacks, including 9.5 in one season back in 2019.

In the last five seasons, Phillips is just one of 11 defensive tackles in the NFL to record more than nine sacks in a season.
Phillips will likely rotate with 2022 first-round pick Mazi Smith, and play next to other defensive tackles such as Osa Odighizuwa and perhaps Chauncey Golston, who also plays defensive end.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/jordan-phillips-excited-to-be-on-national-stage

CCBoy

Reaction score
It'll be fun to see if the Cowboys' secondary can walk away with a handful of interceptions against this week, but my eyes are also going to be affixed to Justin Rogers as the battle for snaps at nose tackle heats up. The rookie seventh-round pick was my favorite to land the seat directly behind Mazi Smith in 2024, and he's taking those steps, but Jordan Phillips will suit up in the next few days to ratchet up the heat there; and I'm interested in seeing if that trade news speeds up Rogers' development.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/who-to-watch-players-to-evaluate-in-las-vegas

CCBoy

Reaction score
Sam Williams will be building into the future defense the entire off season. He will be projecting 10 sacks into the ledger for next season. There are some projections here and now for this season. With the youth in the secondary and upgrades in the linebackers things are looking greatly interactive and aggressive as a stable group.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
I’m rooting against Mazi because I want a better player. And even if he makes a pro bowl or whatever I will not be happy with him until he’s as good as Chris Jones.