MB4's Mock(Couple trades)

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
Cowboys trade pick #22, Julius Jones, a 6th rounder and next years 4th round round pick to Packers for pick #16, and #47

Cowboys trade pick #47(GB) and #53 to Raiders for #33 and #65

So Cowboys are left with #16, 33, 53, 65 on day one

They take.....

Alan Branch at 16 Versatile linemen, future starter at nose.

at 33 Javis Moss Pure Pass rusher, can contribute in rotation and start down the road at OLB

#53 Sidney Rice, Huge frame, good hands, excellent red zone threat

65, Antoinio Pittman, slasher type to go with my dads power style

#87 Daymeion Hughes.

4th round, David Irons, CB, probably wont ever start but a solid nickel

5th, Chase Johnson, tackle, 6'8" and around 340, great size, at worst a solid back up

6th Justin Medlock, kicker 70 for 88 in his career, strong on kickoffs

6th, Dallas Baker, WR 6'3", good size, a little raw. 10 td's last year

7th, Dedrick Harrington, ILB, 6'3" 250, 100 tackles last year, he may make them keep him on the team, could contribute on st

7th, Kevin Boss, TE

I like it

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
If we are trading up to 16 and getting rid of Julius Jones to do it I would prefer Marshawn Lynch.

No QB?

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile;1448139 said:
If we are trading up to 16 and getting rid of Julius Jones to do it I would prefer Marshawn Lynch.

No QB?

Agreed on both points.

I don't think we HAVE to draft a QB on the first day, I know you like the idea, but at the very least I think we should take a QB to develop somewhere in the draft.

Now of course if we get to the second day and no other QBs are within our reach that merits the round they are drafted in...well than so be it.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;1448155 said:
Agreed on both points.

I don't think we HAVE to draft a QB on the first day, I know you like the idea, but at the very least I think we should take a QB to develop somewhere in the draft.

Now of course if we get to the second day and no other QBs are within our reach that merits the round they are drafted in...well than so be it.
I think round 4 is the latest when we can afford to address QB. If all we ever do is get guys who might develop we're going to once again have no one ready when there is a time of need.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
why trade Julius.......I don't like him, but give him a chance under the new regime....

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
Im pretty sure I made a mistake, I think I left out our original 3rd round pick. #87 overall.

But I still dont want to add a QB. Tell me if im missing something, but I dont see the need. Lets say Romo somehow walks next year, do you really think were going to hand over the starting role to a 2nd year late round pick? Trent Edwards, Troy Smith, Jordan Palmer, Tyler Palko ect. If Romo somehow get away form us , theyd make a play for a veteran QB to go with the veteran team.

And I think Julius' running the past few years is easily replaceable. (I hope to God he proves me wrong this year and there are a bunch of "I told you so's")

So with the 3rd rounder I somehow left out, Ill take Daymeion Hughes. You can never have too many young corners, unlike Irons, he has starter potential IMO.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;1448224 said:
I think round 4 is the latest when we can afford to address QB. If all we ever do is get guys who might develop we're going to once again have no one ready when there is a time of need.

any QB we draft runs the risk of not developing

now if a QB in the 3rd/4th round is the absolute best player on the board, then yeah, take him

blindzebra

Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;1448651 said:
Im pretty sure I made a mistake, I think I left out our original 3rd round pick. #87 overall.

But I still dont want to add a QB. Tell me if im missing something, but I dont see the need. Lets say Romo somehow walks next year, do you really think were going to hand over the starting role to a 2nd year late round pick? Trent Edwards, Troy Smith, Jordan Palmer, Tyler Palko ect. If Romo somehow get away form us , theyd make a play for a veteran QB to go with the veteran team.

And I think Julius' running the past few years is easily replaceable. (I hope to God he proves me wrong this year and there are a bunch of "I told you so's")

So with the 3rd rounder I somehow left out, Ill take Daymeion Hughes. You can never have too many young corners, unlike Irons, he has starter potential IMO.

Why do you draft a QB?

You see this team from 2000 to last year? That's why.

We went the entire decade of the 90's without drafting a QB to groom behind Aikman and we paid dearly for that mistake.

I don't care if Romo is "IT", we'd be so very, freaking stupid to repeat that mistake all over again.

We should draft a QB in the 3rd-5th round every couple of years forever! We should always have a young, viable QB on the roster...ALWAYS!

carphalen5150

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1448713 said:
any QB we draft runs the risk of not developing

now if a QB in the 3rd/4th round is the absolute best player on the board, then yeah, take him
Agree...this draft is about BPA, but there are more pressing needs than a QB earlier than the 4th. We still need a OLB, OL, WR, CB, and NT before we go looking QB. Now if a guy like Edwards slips I am all for it, but I don't want to see them locked into a QB and reach for someone...like we did with Carter.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If we took a QB on day 1 I'd snap.

I'm not even too keen on taking one in round 4.

blindzebra

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;1448930 said:
If we took a QB on day 1 I'd snap.

I'm not even too keen on taking one in round 4.

Prepare to snap...because you are wrong.

Care to explain why we should repeat the errors of the 90's at QB?

Romo played half a season, he could be it, he could be a flash in the pan as well. In either case, as of right now, he's going to be a FA next year.

No more stop gaps, no more retreads, no more UDFA projects we need to invest in the most important position just in case Romo bombs, Romo leaves, or Romo's career gets cut short by injury. How bad would it be if none of that happens and we draft a better QB that earns the starting job down the road? How bad would it be if he couldn't beat out Romo, but other teams wanted him a few years down the road?

Or would you prefer to re-live years 2000-2006?

gollum

Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;1447944 said:
Cowboys trade pick #22, Julius Jones, a 6th rounder and next years 4th round round pick to Packers for pick #16, and #47
So you think Jones is worth the 29th pick in the first round??? Keep dreaming. We have a tendency to overvalue our players, but that's just crazy.

Here's how you've calculated his value(using a standard draft value chart-nfldraftblitz.com):
Packers: #16(1000) + #47(430) = 1,430 for #22(780) + 6th rounder(we have two #195(14.4) and #200(12.4) ). You didn't mention which one, so I'll assume you're giving the Packers #195 which gives our two draft choices a value of 794.4 or a difference in value of 635.6 which is the approximate value of pick #29.

No way would the Pack make this trade for a RB with a history of injury problems...unless both Peterson and Lynch are gone by #16, and even then, it will take more to trade up. They still have needs at WR and DE and this is a good spot for several.

The Jets gave up the equivalent of pick #67 for Thomas Jones(a better back). I like Julius, but he is more likely to be valued as a lower third round pick(estimate 150 points for pick #88).

That means for only pick #16, we'd have to give up #22, Julius, and our 4th (#122 = 50 pts) to be relatively close. Forget #47, it's not happening unless we throw in next year's first or this year's #53.

Cowboys trade pick #47(GB) and #53 to Raiders for #33 and #65
Assuming we did get #47, we come out ahead by 35 points on this trade. Not likely to happen unless we throw in another pick or two...the Raiders need all the picks they can get, not an "even" swap.

So Cowboys are left with #16, 33, 53, 65 on day one
Didn't you just say we traded #53 to the Raiders???

They take.....

Alan Branch at 16 Versatile linemen, future starter at nose.
I give it a 50/50 chance he'll be available

at 33 Javis Moss Pure Pass rusher, can contribute in rotation and start down the road at OLB
Doubtful he'll be here unless teams judge him on his times instead of his on-the-field play; I give it a 35% chance he'll be here

#53 Sidney Rice, Huge frame, good hands, excellent red zone threat
I just don't see him falling here, but stranger things have happened. I give him only a 15-20% chance of being here. But we already traded this pick to the Raiders anyway.

65, Antoinio Pittman, slasher type to go with my dads power style
No problem here

#87 Daymeion Hughes.
I also think he'll be gone by the end of the second round as cornerbacks are always high in demand.

I won't even broach the remaining selectons because anything could happen.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarionBarberThe4th

So you think Jones is worth the 29th pick in the first round??? Keep dreaming. We have a tendency to overvalue our players, but that's just crazy.

Here's how you've calculated his value(using a standard draft value chart-nfldraftblitz.com):
Packers: #16(1000) + #47(430) = 1,430 for #22(780) + 6th rounder(we have two #195(14.4) and #200(12.4) ). You didn't mention which one, so I'll assume you're giving the Packers #195 which gives our two draft choices a value of 794.4 or a difference in value of 635.6 which is the approximate value of pick #29.

You missed where I said next years 4th round pick. Add that to Julius, who is younger than Thomas, and also hasnt asked for a trade. When a player is public about wanting out, that lowers his value. Also, Lynch will be gone before GB picks, Buffalo will take him.

The Oakland trade is fine

I dont know how I kept that pick, I messed up. I think thats how I left out our original 3rd rounder. But when I realized I left out the orignal 3rd, I didnt catch the 2nd I traded. Good find.

Its a shame I have to lose Sidne Rice, but with what should of been the picks Id stick with Alan Branch at 16, Moss at 33. Pittman at 65 Id keeep.

Instead of David Irons in the 4th Id take Aundre Allison, WR