McCaffery: McNabb has no right to rip Birds’ spending

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For as long as pro athletes have been enriched to the point of royalty, there has been a fan dilemma. The instinct is to rebel -- to refuse to pay triple-figure ticket prices and double figures for beer just to finance the nine-figure athlete. Yet the market is the market, the money is there, it would only go back into the designer wallets of the owners anyway and, well, it’s vital to pay heavily for players in order to have a better chance to win.

So the debate has swirled, and it will, perhaps with no end.

But how’s this for a Great Compromise? Fans (and columnists, and talk show hosts and other hair-trigger critics) can agree to acknowledge that certain athletes will deserve a certain fee, and then accept that as a cost of doing sports business -- but only until that point when an obscenely well-compensated athlete implies that his bosses are cheap.

Put another way: Once an athlete accepts a so-called max contract -- one of those jobs that immediately demands a headline -- then he is prohibited from worrying out loud where else an organization is spending its money.

Put even another way: Hey, Donovan McNabb ..keep it down, will ya’?

Of all people -- of allllll people -- who shouldn’t criticize the way the Eagles invest in personnel, it’s McNabb. But there was the self-commissioned Eagles’ ship captain yapping in the Daily Times this week that, "It’s somewhat frustrating at times when you’re seeing other players that possibly could help you out joining other teams -- especially in your division."

He’s frustrated?

Heeeeeee’s frustrated?

The Eagles have done nothing but canonize McNabb since the moment they rejected the famous Mike Ditka offer of a day’s worth selections and instead chose the Syracuse quarterback as the second overall player in the 1999 draft. They re-did his contract and made him a $112,000,000 man. They imported Terrell Owens when McNabb was campaigning for Terrell Owens. They ran Owens off when Owens began to irritate McNabb.

Where does the quarterback get the cheek to question anything that organization does?

Depending upon the analysis of the salary cap at any given moment, it’s possible to interpret that the Eagles tend toward frugal in personnel matters. But once a player takes a $112,000,000 bite from his company’s personnel-funding pie, he has no right to come back for seconds

- To the Eagles’ credit -- and providing the first tremor of a new era where all is not tailored for McNabb -- was the addition of Jeff Garcia as a backup quarterback.

No longer of Pro Bowl skill and perhaps down to his last opportunity to re-achieve any pro football success, Garcia nonetheless is a capable professional quarterback. And now he is there and available -- available to give McNabb pain in the sports-hernia area the first time No. 5 throws three consecutive incomplete passes.

Since McNabb will be coming off a season-ending injury, and because Mike McMahon helped show why a fresh reliever is a must for a playoff-minded team, the addition of Garcia was as courageous as it was inspired. The Eagles are aware of McNabb’s sensitivities. And they have to know the history of pro football in Philadelphia, where the most popular player on the planet traditionally has been the backup quarterback. But they hired Garcia anyway.

Maybe -- just maybe -- that means the days of protecting McNabb at any cost are over in an organization that is 0-since-1960 and would like that slump to end.

LINK

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Thanks for that article, WG.

See, I'm telling all of you out there...that nasty Chunky Soup makes people think crazy stuff! It's no good for you...McNabb is proof! :cool:

riggo

Benched
Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:
Put another way: Once an athlete accepts a so-called max contract -- one of those jobs that immediately demands a headline -- then he is prohibited from worrying out loud where else an organization is spending its money.

generally i would agree. but this is the eagles we're talking about. they dont throw around alot of cash. i'm pretty sure mcnabb would redo his contract- if needed -if the eagles would make some moves. who is mcnabb throwing to next year, anyway? that's probably why he's ticked.

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
5Stars said:
Thanks for that article, WG.

See, I'm telling all of you out there...that nasty Chunky Soup makes people think crazy stuff! It's no good for you...McNabb is proof! :cool:

All that Chunky Soup has all kinds of MSG in it... MSG is prohibitive to good health... In other words, stay away from McNabb endorsements...

baj1dallas

Reaction score
terrible article. Guy obviously knows nothing about football if he thinks Garcia is still capable.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The eags are going back to being cheap.
I love it.

The owner spent for 3 or 4 years and they couldn't win the big oen and now he's back to funding that empty trophy case in a manner that lines his pockets.

The TO deal was all about money.

Yea, TO, is a scumbag who got McNabb involved because he wanted to force the Eagles hand but the Eags refusing to renegotiate with him after a top flight seaosn was the impetus for all the agony.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
riggo said:
i'm pretty sure mcnabb would redo his contract- if needed -if the eagles would make some moves.

This is so stupid, I don't know why I am responding!

You say McSlobb would redo his contract if, blah, blah, blah!

THE EAGLES ARE $987,464,876,876,234.00 below the salary cap already! They don't need anyone to "redo their contract"! They already have money...they are just a cheap organization, period!

Besides, they need that extra cash to feed Andy....! :cool:

Why does that player in your avatar look like he wants to upchuck? Did he try some of that McChuncky soup?

jrumann59

Reaction score
5Stars said:

THE EAGLES ARE $987,464,876,876,234.00 below the salary cap already! They don't need anyone to "redo their contract"! They already have money...they are just a cheap organization, period!

Why does that player in your avatar look like he wants to upchuck? Did he try some of that McChuncky soup?

That was Riggo back when he like to drink a lot. Heavy Drinking=Hangover=Upchuck:beer1:

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
riggo said:
generally i would agree. but this is the eagles we're talking about. they dont throw around alot of cash. i'm pretty sure mcnabb would redo his contract- if needed -if the eagles would make some moves. who is mcnabb throwing to next year, anyway? that's probably why he's ticked.
Chad Jackson.

riggo

Benched
Reaction score
5Stars said:

that's basically my point- the eagles are cheap and mcnabb is pointing that out. i dont have a problem with him doing so.

TobiasEagle77

Reaction score
It would be nice if the writer included the original quote, and the question Donovan was responding to.

From what I've gathered, Donovan was asked about Randle El, and he said basicly that he would have liked the Eagles to sign him, and was sad to see him go to a division rival.

Context is important, and the fact that Donovan and Randle El are close and practice together in Arizona should be noted.

A specific response to a Randle El question has now been spun into a statement by McNabb that the Eagles are cheap and he's unhappy.

Amazing what the media considers good reporting.

jman

Reaction score
TobiasEagle77 said:
It would be nice if the writer included the original quote, and the question Donovan was responding to.

From what I've gathered, Donovan was asked about Randle El, and he said basicly that he would have liked the Eagles to sign him, and was sad to see him go to a division rival.

Context is important, and the fact that Donovan and Randle El are close and practice together in Arizona should be noted.

A specific response to a Randle El question has now been spun into a statement by McNabb that the Eagles are cheap and he's unhappy.

Amazing what the media considers good reporting.

Maybe the point should be that the Eagles went above and beyond to get McNabb the guy he wanted before and he and TO acted like children having a baby spat and the Eagles decided they had learned their lesson and made an offer...or not, and moved on. McNabb seems like a spoiled child if he's upset that the Eagles didn't aggressivly go after Randle El.

TobiasEagle77

Reaction score
My point is that calling him upset is a stretch. He was asked about Randle El and he said he'd like to have him, and it's unfortunate he's playing for a rival. Nowhere in the interview does he say he's pissed or anything of the nature. But it's fun to disect words and play with contraversy so I'll leave you guys to do your fun. Till next time, signing out... tobias