Twitter: McCarthy on if Rico Dowdle will get more carries

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

Motorola

Reaction score
Fans said that Rico wasn't good in training camp. They claimed that Dallas needed another veteran back and Dallas needed to sign a veteran kicker.
They sign a veteran back..Ronald Jones II.
Unfortunately for him he got hit with a double whammy in one week__
Suspension July 31st (Monday), groin injury August 6th (Saturday)

DanA

Reaction score
I’m a big Pollard guy and I think 95% of his struggles have nothing to do with him.

With that said.. Get them both touches early and play the hot hand. Simple.

3.9 YPC is well down on his career average of above 5.0 YPC prior to this year. It's reasonable to expect it to drop with a bigger work load but not that much. But probably worse is the lack of short-yardage conversions and scoring. Zeke was brilliant on 3rd down last season and scored 12 TD's. Has the O-line changed that much? I'm not sure you can say none of it's on him, I mean Dowdle is at 4.5 YPC.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
3.9 YPC is well down on his career average of above 5.0 YPC prior to this year. It's reasonable to expect it to drop with a bigger work load but not that much. But probably worse is the lack of short-yardage conversions and scoring. Zeke was brilliant on 3rd down last season and scored 12 TD's. Has the O-line changed that much? I'm not sure you can say none of it's on him, I mean Dowdle is at 4.5 YPC.

Anytime Dallas wants they can use Hunter Luepke just like Zeke last year for short yardage.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Dowdle is nothing more than the new Pollard. The guy that comes in with fresh legs here and there throughout the game and looks like he's moving in Fast Forward compared to the starter.

They are almost identical in Height, Weight, and speed. I do agree that they should be splitting carries more evenly to keep Pollard from wearing down, because he's not a true lead back...and again, neither is Dowdle. We have 2 change of pace backs, they just happen to have the same pace.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
He's not getting the Zeke treatment, this should be a committee or hot hand approach. That should've been the plan from the start. Pollard has 1 100 yard game while Dowdle averages 5 carries. That shouldn't be the case.
Last season people were clamoring for Tony Pollard. Put Zeke on the bench and start Pollard. He can take it to the house, was the rallying cry and Zeke has lost a step.
Ten games into this season and Pollard has 529 yards. The game coming up this week he may have a good game because Carolina doesn't play the run well. But as it stands Pollard will struggle to reach 1000 yards.

I commented in the off season after Pollard's injury that he may not come back at 100%. I was told his injury wasn't that serious.

The vocal crew here is more and more calling for Dowdle. You now see posts which suggest Pollard is not the same guy as last year.

Every one of these comments reflects what was said about Zeke.

The fact is Pollard is having issues because of the offensive line. Same with Zeke.

But I find this to be a bit ironic seeing posts about Pollard with a similar tone to the ones last year about Zeke. Regardless if you see it or not.

rambo2

Reaction score
They sign a veteran back..Ronald Jones II.
Unfortunately for him he got hit with a double whammy in one week__
Suspension July 31st (Monday), groin injury August 6th (Saturday)
They signed him in the off season.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Anytime Dallas wants they can use Hunter Luepke just like Zeke last year for short yardage.
Seems like they’re finally relenting and going with Rico more… but yes, don’t understand why you don’t want your big fullback barreling in for more of those short yardage situations. Hell, he’s a fullback! Most teams don’t even keep one on the roster anymore. Use him! I remember Big Mac comparing him to Kuhn on the Packers in Preseason. Sure haven’t seen him using him the same.

conner01

Reaction score
They pretty much split touches last week. Expect something similar if the run game is working