McGinn Draft Series - Part 1: WR and TE

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is the 40th year that Bob McGinn has written his NFL Draft Series. Previously, it appeared in the Green Bay Press-Gazette (1985-’91), the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel (1992-’17), BobMcGinn Football (2018-’19), The Athletic (2020-’21) and GoLongTD.com (2022-’24). Until 2014, many personnel people were quoted by name. The series reluctantly adopted an all-anonymous format in 2015 at the request of most scouts.

Those 15 executives plus another were asked to rank the wide receivers on a 1-2-3-4-5 basis. A first-place vote was worth 5 points, a second-place vote was worth 4 and so on.

Harrison, with 11 firsts, led with 72 points. Following, in order, were Malik Nabers (65, four), Rome Odunze (49, one), Brian Thomas (13), Xavier Worthy (12), Keon Coleman (eight), Adonai Mitchell (eight), Xavier Legette (seven), Ladd McConkey (three), Ja’Lynn Polk (two) and Roman Wilson (one).

With 15 voters at tight end voting on a 1-2-3-4 basis, the results were: Bowers (58, 14 firsts), Ja’Tavion Sanders (26), Ben Sinnott (20, one), Theo Johnson (17), Cade Stover (10), Jared Wiley (nine), Erick All (four), Tip Reiman (three), Tanner McLachlan (two) and Johnny Wilson (one).

-

WIDE RECEIVERS

1. MARVIN HARRISON, Ohio State (6-3, 209, no 40, Round 1): Fourth in the Heisman trophy voting as a third-year junior in 2023. “If he catches it on the run he shows unreal top-end speed,” one scout said. “If he would have (worked) at the combine he wouldn’t have won the 40 but if they had run the 100 he’d be at the top. When he catches those shallow drags you see him outrun angles and people. What you don’t see, if he’s running a curl, a comebacker or a dig and he’s not already in full-speed stride, is the ruggedness, the passion. He has the ability to be a good run-after-catch guy who, to me, was playing his last year of college football protecting himself.” Backed up in 2021 before starring in 2022-’23. “I’m going to say he’s the No. 1 player in the draft,” a second scout said. “His dad (Marvin) was a quickness-change of direction type with very skilled hands. Marvin Jr. is bigger, more of a jump-ball guy. Makes plays in the red zone and out near the sideline. He makes the field about 57, 58 yards wide (rather than 53 1/3) because he can extend for the ball on the sideline. He’s very polished. Some will argue that he’s not even the best receiver, that Nabers is. Over the next 10, 12, 15 years I think he’ll be the top guy.” Finished with 155 receptions for 2,613 yards (16.9) and 31 touchdowns. “I kind of liken him to Larry Fitzgerald,” a third scout said. “You didn’t see a ton of run after the catch with Larry Fitzgerald coming out (in 2004) but he did it in the NFL. Harrison’s going to be a great NFL player just like Larry Fitzgerald was. Calvin (Johnson) is much more gifted.” From Philadelphia.

2. MALIK NABERS, Louisiana State (6-0, 199, 4.44, 1): Third-year junior. “He’s that all-around, well-polished, freakishly athletic individual,” said one scout. “His traits just jump off the tape at you.” His pro day workout included a 42-inch vertical jump and 10-9 broad jump. “I absolutely love watching Malik Nabers,” a second scout said. “He’s not your typical size for an ‘X’ but he has the speed, the separation, routes and hands. Where he separates himself is run after catch. That’s what makes him such an exciting player. CeeDee Lamb is a little bit bigger; Nabers is more sudden and (has) better top-end speed.” A third scout graded him on a par with Justin Jefferson, another LSU product. “He’s powerful, he’s explosive and he can win at every level of route running, which makes him special as a high-floor player,” a fourth scout said. “He can run after the catch. He can run intermediate routes. He can track the deep ball.” Started 30 of 38 games. Finished with 189 catches for 3,003 (15.9) and 21 TDs. “He’s not Harrison,” a fifth scout said. “If you see that just ignore it. He’s more of the D.J. Moore kind of player. Thick running back build. He’s a good player, a really good player. I don’t think he has elite ball skills.” From Youngsville, La. “He is what he is right now,” said a sixth scout. “He’s topped out. Against the Alabama corners his production all came against zone coverage over the middle. When he was manned up he struggled. But he has straight dog in him once he catches the ball.”

3. ROME ODUNZE, Washington (6-3, 220, 4.44, 1): “He’s a better route-running A.J. Brown from Philly,” one scout said. “He’s going to be a good, strong, built-to-last player.” Redshirted in 2020 before making 29 starts from 2021-’23. “I enjoyed watching his progression over the years,” a second scout said. “He’s very polished but he’s (also) a force as a blocker. He plays well without the ball, so to speak, because of splits, assignments, running routes when maybe the ball’s going in another direction. He’s really come on and gotten better and better. He’s going to be a very solid, solid player in the NFL. He’s not as flashy as the first two but he’s got a flair … some pizazz.” His totals for receptions, yards and TD catches increased each year. “He’s a great kid,” said a third scout. “It would not surprise me if Odunze ended up being the best of the class. What’s crazy is he had production and there were three receivers (at Washington) that are getting drafted.” Finished with 214 receptions for 3,272 (15.3) and 24 TDs. “Size, speed, great makeup football and person,” said a fourth scout. “Competitive, tough, all about football. Wants to achieve. Good hands. This guy’s a good football player. He’s faster (than Davante Adams). He only ran 4.56.” Vertical jump of 39, broad jump of 10-4. “He’s good, but I have some issues with his quickness and his ability to separate,” said a fifth scout. “He’s strong, but his lack of explosiveness really bothered me. I think he’ll be a solid pro. Nothing special.” From Las Vegas. “He’s got rare ball skills that you won’t miss on,” a sixth scout said. “But I have a feeling he’s going to end up being like a good No. 2 receiver (as opposed to) a dominant ‘X’ true No. 1.”

4. XAVIER WORTHY, Texas (5-11, 169, 4.23, 1-2): His hand-held average time of 4.23 was one of the fastest recorded at the combine. “Real skinny, real weak but really fast,” one scout said. “Not the toughest guy, and I don’t like his size.” A third-year junior who started all 39 games of his career. “He reminded me of John Ross out of Washington the way he could separate and pull away,” a second scout said. “He also reminded me of Will Fuller. Hands are inconsistent, but there’s no question this guy will come in and immediately provide some explosive plays for an NFL offense. I saw him as a starting slot. Coming out of college, Tyreek Hill wasn’t the guy we all know as one of the best receivers. The difference between Worthy and Tyreek Hill would be, yes, they’re both fast, but Tyreek Hill is able to creatively use his speed where Worthy is just, ‘I’m faster than you. I know it. And I’m just going to run past you.’ There’s still a lot to develop in his route running.” Caught 197 passes for 2,755 (14.0) and 26 TDs. “Love him,” said a third scout. “With short guys that aren’t very heavy, it’s all about their core strength and power. Slight and light, but he’s wiry strong. He is tough and has strength. This is what will allow him to be an outstanding player. He is already an elite punt returner. He has so much route upside. He wasn’t some one-year wonder at the combine. This dude’s been crushing it for three years at Texas. The first two years the quarterback play was atrocious.” His vertical jump was 41, his broad jump was 10-11. “Immediately you have so much hidden production because every single defensive coordinator in the NFL is scared of one thing: a guy getting behind the defense,” the third scout continued. “If Worthy’s on the field you’re backing the f--k up and it’s a Tyreek Hillfest opening up the middle of the field all day long. He’s a true “Z’ that can run by anybody in the NFL. I’d put him behind Waddle coming out but ahead of Marquise Brown.” From Fresno, Calif.

5. BRIAN THOMAS, Louisiana State (6-3, 209, 4.36, 1-2): Third-year junior. “He’s completely different than Nabers,” one scout said. “This guy is long, tall, vertical. He can run now. Reminded me a little of (Plaxico) Burress. That movement. Not a silky-smooth athlete but can change directions and get out of (breaks). Has size, length and strength running routes. He can fly. The question on him is drops.” Started 27 of 38 games in the Tigers’ famous position. “It’s crazy how LSU continues to reload and have dynamic 1-2 punches,” said a second scout. “Whether it’s Odell (Beckham) and Jarvis (Landry) or Ja’Marr Chase and Justin Jefferson. I honestly don’t know who’s going to be a better pro. I gave Nabers a higher grade but they’ll both be extremely good receivers for a long time.” Finished with 127 receptions for 1,897 (14.9) and 24 TDs, including an FBS-leading 17 in 2023. “He’s better than (Jaxon) Smith-Njigba but he plays with no urgency,” a third scout said. “I recognize the talent. He’s got way more ability to play on the outside than Smith-Njigba. Brian Thomas has much more ability to be a true No. 1 “X’ but I honestly can’t stand the way he plays. I just do not like his disposition. He’s the classic he’s running and the first-down marker is three yards away from him and he steps out of bounds a yard short. I don’t know if I’d call him (timid) inside but he’s definitely not rugged. If someone has him ranked way higher than me, I get it. But most of the guys in the top-10 (at wideout) are high-level competitors. I would say he is not.” From Walker, La.

6. KEON COLEMAN, Florida State (6-3, 213, 4.59, 1-2): Played basketball in addition to football at Michigan State as a true freshman in 2021 (five games, two points) before deciding to give up basketball after his breakthrough season as a sophomore on the gridiron. Then he transferred to Florida State, leading the team in receiving last season, before declaring for the draft. “Great body control, unbelievable hands, great understanding of defenses, loves the game of football,” said one scout. “Receivers that ran slow include Keenan Allen, Cooper Kupp, Allen Robinson, Davante Adams. He’s got as good if not better body control than those guys do. He just goes up and gets it. This guy’s so talented as an athlete he could have gone to Kansas and played basketball.” His 40 time disappointed some scouts. “I just don’t see anything there,” a second scout said. “Big guy but doesn’t have any quickness, explosion or speed. Doesn’t separate well. One-gear guy. They try to throw those slip screens to him and he doesn’t have much run after the catch. Just a No. 3 type guy.” Finished with 115 receptions for 1,506 (13.1) and 19 TDs. “If you can’t find that true ‘Z’ you can go with a big ‘Z’ that might not be speed-speed but can always be open downfield and win jump balls,” a third scout said. “That’s a Keon Coleman-type player or Tee Higgins.” From Opelousas, La. “Everybody’s backed off Coleman because of the 40 time,” said a fourth scout. “We knew he wasn’t going to run good in the 40. On Labor Day night Keon Coleman might have been the best player on the field against LSU. Then he runs one 40 and he’s gotten just destroyed. He had three touchdowns that night and looked uncoverable. His game is elevated. I’m not going to say he’s going to be Anquan Boldin but it’ll be a similar experience.”

7. ADONAI MITCHELL, Texas (6-2, 207, 4.35, 1-2): Started 12 games for Georgia as a true freshman in 2021 and then missed nine games in ’22 with an ankle injury. “He’s a spectacular talent,” one scout said. “He’s got Garrett Wilsonesque catch radius, athletic ability, body control. But he’s almost uncoachable. Before you even get to the diabetic part, he’s kind of going to do it his way. He’s a little bit of a wild horse. You’ve got to see if you can harness him in. Then, once you do that, he doesn’t address the diabetic stuff in a mature way. He’s very much a boom-or-bust type guy.” Has been diagnosed as Type 1 diabetic. “You’re going to have to assign somebody to be next to him for his first few years because his issues are all about his diabetes and his blood sugar,” said a second scout. “When his blood sugar’s off, he’s rude, he’s abrasive, he doesn’t pay attention in meetings. It’s why you get really, really ****** character reports coming out of Georgia and Texas. But when his stuff is normal, and they get him normal by lunch time, he’s out at practice high energy, best practice player, loves football … He doesn’t run routes traditionally like most receivers would. He plants off the wrong foot all the time. (But) he learns football really well and is literally just scratching the surface. This kid has unlimited potential.” Played one season for the Longhorns. In 35 collegiate games he caught 93 passes for 1,405 (15.1) and 18 TDs. A third scout said diabetes was a major concern. “You’ve got to look out for it and he’s got to take care of himself,” he said. “Every diabetic does. There’s some questions but at the end of the day he’s a good player that hasn’t done anything overly malicious. He’s probably just immature.” His vertical jump was 39 ½; his broad jump of 11-4 led the wide receivers. From Missouri City, Texas.

8. XAVIER LEGETTE, South Carolina (6-1, 222, 4.39, 2): His hard-running style reminded one scout of Sterling Sharpe, the Gamecocks’ greatest wideout. “He kind of does,” one scout said. “He’s as athletically gifted as any guy his size. He’s probably too big to be a true punt returner. He’s come out of nowhere. He’s had multiple coaches over his career, too, which has probably slowed him down.” Had just 42 receptions from 2019-’22 despite making 20 starts. The light went on in 2023 and he was chosen All-Southeastern Conference second team. “What he did on tape this year probably would have got him in the first round if he had done it more than once,” said a second scout. “You can be unemployed taking risks on one-year wonders. That always concerns me. This year, he looks like DK Metcalf. Is he DK Metcalf? No, but there’s a lot there where someone’s going to take him in the second round.” Led wideouts on the bench press with 24 reps. “He’s got some intelligence issues that might be a concern,” said a third scout. “But he’s big, physical, can run.” Finished with 113 receptions for 1,678 (14.8) and 12 TDs. “He is very powerful in the lower half,” said a fourth scout. “He’s like a better Laviska Shenault. He’s almost like a running back in a way. It took four years to kind of get him up to speed. You can put a tremendous highlight tape on him. The big question will be, ‘OK, how long’s it going to take?’ Is he a one-spot wideout? Probably yes his rookie year. If it took four years in college to get to that level, how long is it going to take in the NFL?” From Mullins, S.C.

9. LADD McCONKEY, Georgia (5-11 ½, 186, 4.43, 2): Redshirted in 2000 before starting 21 of 39 games from 2021-’23. “He’s very good,” one scout said. “He’s an easy evaluation. My only concern is can he stay healthy.” Missed five games last season with back and ankle injuries. “He’s the best route runner of the bunch,” a second scout said. “Precise, determined, tough, instinctive as hell. Really good hands. But he’s little, make no mistake about it.” His short shuttle of 3.97 was the best among wideouts. “Hunter Renfrow-type,” said a third scout. “He’s a slot. Quick, good hands, doesn’t make big plays. Now he’s been hurt — a lot.” Finished with 119 receptions for 1,687 (14.2) and 14 TDs. “I didn’t realize he was as fast as he was,” said a fourth scout. “That kid can flat-*** run. He’s got all the skills. He’ll be a starter in the slot. He’ll be like those New England guys. He’s probably faster. This guy really has speed.” Exceptional student. “I’m a fan,” said a fifth scout. “That guy will be exactly where the (quarterback) tells him to be. Some of these other guys, you don’t know what they’re going to do.” From Chatsworth, Ga.

10. RICKY PEARSALL, Florida (6-1, 191, 4.42, 2): Bailed out of Arizona State in April 2022 after starting 12 of 30 games from 2019-’21. Led the Gators in receiving each of his two seasons. “Some people like him but I really love the guy,” said one scout. “Really good route runner. In a deep class, I could see him getting passed up. I don’t think people put him in the conversation with the real guys. When it’s all said and done he’ll be one of the best receivers in the group.” Ran the fastest 3-cone of any wideout this spring (6.64). “I had him in the third (round),” another scout said. “All of a sudden he runs a 4.41 and I put him in the second. He’s a faster Cooper Kupp. More of a slot type although he played ‘X’ and ‘Z’ there. Good hands.” In five seasons he caught 159 passes for 2,420 (15.2) and 14 TDs. “He might be in the (Luke) McCaffrey-McConkey slot group,” said a third scout. “He ran fast, too, but I didn’t see that on tape.” From Chandler, Ariz.

Last edited:

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
11. TROY FRANKLIN, Oregon (6-2, 180, 4.45, 2-3): Third-year junior, two-year starter. “He was their big-play guy and has been for a couple years,” said one scout. “The concern is he’s really thin. He can take the top off a defense but he can also get open intermediate. He’s got to add some bulk. He had a few drops this year, which was a bit of a concern. He seems like a No. 3 guy who can play inside and out and then advance from there.” Finished with 160 receptions for 2,483 (15.5) and 25 TDs, including 14 in 2023. “He’s in the speedster-vertical threat category,” a second scout said. “I did like his run after catch on quick hitters. They got him out in space and got the ball in his hands and he just ran away eliminating pursuit angles. That was impressive. He's only going to be a slot, which diminishes his roster value and knocks him down. A lot of teams will take chances on speed.” From East Palo Alto, Calif. “He’s a huge risk,” a third scout said. “His combination of lack of play strength, lack of ability to play through contact, doesn’t track the ball well, doesn’t frame the ball well at all. That’s just not a good combination of weaknesses even though he’s electric fast and will get drafted higher than he probably should. The history tells you he’s going to struggle.”

12. ROMAN WILSON, Michigan (5-10 ½, 186, 4.38, 2-3): Assumed the featured wideout role as a senior in 2023. “One thing you’ve got to consider, they’re such a run-first offense, he probably needs some time in route mechanics,” said one scout. “But, athletically, he can do whatever you want. I would compare him in many ways to Garrett Wilson. He’s that kid of athlete. He can play outside or slot. Good hands, explosive after the catch. Wilson’s bigger than the Boston College guy that went to Baltimore.” That would be Zay Flowers (5-9, 182, 4.38), who caught 77 passes last season as a rookie. “He’ll be a starter, primarily in the slot but he showed he can play outside,” a second scout said. “Good separation ability. Like his hands. He can be a threat down the field. Plays bigger than his size. He went up there and was able to pluck some balls in 50-50 situations. He can be a solid No. 2.” Finished with 107 catches for 1,707 (16.0) and 20 TDs, including 12 in 2023. “He’s the most overrated player I’ve seen,” said a third scout. “Slot only. All zone production. Not a natural catcher. One of the weakest receivers in the draft. Cannot block to save his life. Has no special-teams value. If he goes to a team that has a slot he could easily be on practice squad or being inactive every week because he’s got no other value. If he was at any other school he’d be graded very late in the draft. There’s a reason he was a one-year starter. And who was he trying to beat out? We’ve signed free agents as good as him.” From Honolulu.

13. MALACHI CORLEY, Western Kentucky (5-10 ½, 207, 4.56, 3): According to one scout, he was the best player in the draft with the ball in his hands. According to another, his run after was “as good as anybody in the draft.” Said the first exec: “He has a lot of Deebo Samuel. You can give him the ball like they (the 49ers) do with Deebo. He’s a punisher. He looks for contact. Doesn’t take care of his body. Someone will take a chance on that because that’s what’s being valued in our league right now. He’s got a unique skill set. You would not want to tackle that (bleep).” Lightly recruited out of Orange City, Fla. “He almost plays like a running back,” another scout said. “His speed is good; I wouldn’t say it’s great like some of the other guys. Honestly, you could put him in the backfield if you wanted to mix things up.” Had 101 receptions in 2022, finishing with a school-record 259 for 3,033 (11.7) and 29 TDs. “I can’t deny his stats,” said a third scout. “But he lacked the ability to run the full route tree and separate. I’m a little concerned about his overall long speed. At the break point I thought he was all over the place and didn’t have the short-area burst to create his own separation. Where he shined was on quick hitters against zone coverage. If that’s what you’re looking for he’s your guy.”

14. JA’LYNN POLK, Washington (6-1 ½, 204, 4.45, 3): Caught 28 passes as a true freshman at Texas Tech in 2020 before moving on to Washington from 2021-’23. “Smart, tough, great body control,” one scout said. “Really, really good hands. Good speed, not elite. But he knows how to play the game.” Made clutch catches as the Huskies’ No. 2 threat behind Rome Odunze. “Very physical,” said a second scout. “He’s almost like Jarvis Landry. He’s that competitive. I love the (bleep) out of him.” Caught 143 passes for 2,231 (15.6) and eight TDs. “I like him as a fourth-fifth receiver and special-teams player with low-end starter’s upside maybe in a couple years,” a third scout said. “If he’s on your team he’s active on game day. He can play inside and outside. Outstanding contested catch catcher. He’s a dog and will be good on special teams.” From Lufkin, Texas. “I didn’t see him win a lot on his own,” a fourth scout said. “I saw a lot of the offense schemed up for him. He’s a Day 2 player but there are questions about his route running, his ability to separate and his ability to win against press coverage.”

OTHERS: Tez Walker, North Carolina; Jalen McMillan, Washington; Jacob Cowing, Arizona; Luke McCaffrey, Rice; Bub Means, Pittsburgh; Jamari Thrash, Louisville; Brenden Rice, Southern Cal; Malik Washington, Virginia; Anthony Gould, Oregon State; Jermaine Burton, Alabama; Jordan Whittington, Texas; Ainias Smith, Texas A&M; Javon Baker, Central Florida; Jha’Quan Jackson, Tulane.

-

TIGHT ENDS

1. BROCK BOWERS, Georgia (6-3, 241, no 40, 1): Third-year junior. “Thing that’s interesting about him is this is not a Rob Gronkowski (6-6, 260, 4.67), Travis Kelce (6-5, 257, 4.63) body,” said one scout. “This is almost like a fullback body. If you draft him and play him just as a pure tight end, you’ll be disappointed. He’s not going to go hammer those 260-pound defensive end and outside backers in the run game. And it’s not like he’s going to go out-jump some of these defensive backs for the ball. He really didn’t make a ton of plays like that. Most of his plays are run after catch. He’s excellent with the ball in his hand. That whole offense ran through Bowers. Outside, inside, motion, slot, backfield. They schemed him up and they’d get the ball to him quickly in the flat. He’d turn up, break the tackle and go for 18 more yards. (Fit) will be a real key to his success.” A second scout equated Bowers’ work after the catch to Harrison’s. “If he catches it on the run, he’s a mother------,” he said. “If the dude from Iowa (Sam LaPorta) can do what he did this year there’s no reason Brock can’t do that or even more. Now is that worth a top-10 pick? He might end up falling because he’s not a three-down player. You’ve got to limit his reps and use him as a true ‘U.’ Keep him on the back side to come across in motion and whack guys. He’s not a point-of-attack player. He’s not as athletic as (Kyle) Pitts getting in and out of breaks. He doesn’t have that basketball uniqueness. But he’s got length (32 ¾-inch arms) and rare ball skills.” Finished with 175 catches for 2,538 (14.5) and 26 TDs. “He’s just a quiet guy,” a third scout said. “Keeps to himself. Does the right thing. Always on time.” From Napa, Calif.

2. JA’TAVION SANDERS, Texas (6-4, 250, 4.70, 2-3): Third-year junior, two-year starter. “He’s my No. 1 guy,” one scout said. “Somewhat undersized but has a really good frame. Good athlete, knows how to play. Good route runner, has really good hands. As a blocker, he will get on you. He’s better on the edges and in space. Still a bit raw so he has upside.” Highly recruited out of Denton, Texas. “Better receiver than blocker,” said a second scout. “I think he’s a guy that has just scratched his potential. First part of the year he wasn’t that much of a factor in that offense but as the year progressed he became more of a factor. I was really shocked he wouldn’t come back because they have a chance to win the national championship (in 2024).” Ran a disappointing 40 and then, at pro day, posted lows among the top 10 tight ends in the vertical jump (30), the broad jump (9-6) and the bench press (eight reps). “Overrated,” a third scout said. “He’s a horse**** blocker and has no special-teams value. Now he’s OK as a receiver.” Finished with 99 receptions for 1,295 (13.1) and seven TDs.

3. BEN SINNOTT, Kansas State (6-4, 250, 4.63, 2-3): Outgrowing hockey after more than 10 years of playing, he turned his focus to football and eventually walked on at Kansas State as an undersized fullback. “This guy is like (George) Kittle, not Bowers,” one scout said. “His combine numbers were outstanding. He’s a really good athlete. They line him up all over. He can run routes. He’s quick, he’s fast, he gets his head to the ball quick and he’s strong catching it. He’s a tough dude after the catch. They gotta gang-tackle the guy to get him down. As a blocker, he’s aggressive. He had a play against Texas where he came in and dug that (Byron) Murphy guy out and smashed him. There was just rare blocking stuff. He didn’t do it every play but he had flashes.” Led tight ends in the vertical jump (40), the broad jump (10-6) and the 3-cone (6.82). “He’ll end up being like the guy at San Francisco,” a second scout said referring to Kyle Juszczyk. “A complete tight end. He’d be excellent at fullback because he’s a terrific space blocker. Like his mentality.” Caught 82 passes for 1,138 (13.9) and 10 TDs. “He’s a good college player,” a third scout said. “I struggle with his lack of explosiveness. He ran a 4.65 and tested really well but I didn’t see an explosive player. He’s not necessarily a great blocker and I didn’t see the route mismatch guy. He has really good hands. He does have some run after the catch. He’s not a dynamic twitch, speed-to-separate type. At our level I don’t think he’ll be a consistent winner against man (coverage). He’s not going to stretch the field vertically.” From Waterloo, Iowa.

4. THEO JOHNSON, Penn State (6-6, 261, 4.62, 3-4): Helped himself at the combine with a solid 40, a 39 ½-inch vertical jump and a position-best short shuttle of 4.19. “I’d rather take a shot on him than Sanders,” one scout said. “He’s on the upside. He’s got assertiveness with his blocking but he’s not consistent with his blocking. He can make hard, adjusting catches but he can’t run after the catch. He doesn’t make people miss in space.” Started 29 of 45 games over four years, finishing with 77 receptions for 938 (12.2) and 12 TDs. “He’s a little bit intriguing,” said another scout. “He’s a big guy. He’s fast. He’ll give you effort as a blocker. He’s much improved in that area. He’s got ball skills. He’s a really clunky mover, a really unnatural route runner. He’s Canadian, so he’s raw. I thought he might go back to school. If somebody really wants one they might take him in the third but I don’t think he’s worth that.” From Windsor, Ontario.

5. JARED WILEY, Texas Christian (6-6, 249, 4.67, 3-4): A high-school quarterback, he spent three seasons as a tight end at Texas before becoming a Horned Frog for his final two years. “He’s the underwear model cover,” said one scout. “6-6, 255, athletic. Really good ball skills. He’s not a conventional ‘Y’ in terms of dominating you with power but his blocking did improve significantly from 2022 to 2023. Travis Kelce is not knocking anybody’s head off as a blocker. You’re being athletic, you’re getting in the way, and that’s a lot like this guy. He was a quarterback in high school so he clearly understands the game. Somebody’s going to get a bargain with him.” Finished with 90 catches for 1,013 (11.3) and 15 TDs, including an FBS-leading eight last season. “He’s a project,” a second scout said. “Big, tall, thin guy. Looks weak, plays weak. He can run but he doesn’t move and run routes very well. He has to be an in-line route runner and build up speed. Doesn’t have great hands for that body type and style. His blocking? Forget it. His body’s not built for it. He did run really fast.” From Temple, Texas.

6. CADE STOVER, Ohio State (6-4, 249, 4.70, 4-5): A fifth-year senior, he played linebacker in 2019-’20 before moving to tight end in ’21. “All ball, no bull**** type of guy,” one scout said. “If I had to pick one to ride or die with that’d be the guy.” Two-time team captain and two-year starter. “He comes to mind as just a pure ‘Y’ type in terms of his blocking,” another scout said. Finished with 82 catches for 1,058 (12.9) and 10 TDs. “Stover is probably the (best) blocker,” said a third scout. “He’s a former linebacker and he kind of plays with that edge, that mentality. Plays with leverage. He’s not a gifted athlete or anything. He’s just gritty.” From Mansfield, Ohio.

OTHERS: Erick All, Iowa; Tip Reiman, Illinois; Tanner McLachlan, Arizona; A.J. Barner, Michigan; Johnny Wilson, Florida State; Devin Culp, Washington; Brevyn Spann-Ford, Minnesota; Jack Westover, Washington; Jaheim Bell, Florida State; Dallin Holker, Colorado State.

-

UNSUNG HERO

Erick All, TE, Iowa: His career was rolling after his third season (2021) at Michigan, his first as a starter, when he caught 38 passes. His career in Ann Arbor ended early in the ’22 season when he needed spinal surgery. Having entered the transfer portal and becoming the Hawkeyes’ starter in ’23, All (6-4 ½, 253) was becoming the go-to target for a dreadful offense when he suffered a torn ACL in Game 7. “He’s intriguing but he’s injured,” one scout said. “I think he’s a sleeper. Athleticism and skill set-wise, he’s more intriguing to me than Ben Sinnott.”

-

SCOUTS’ NIGHTMARE

Jermaine Burton, WR, Alabama: A 39-game starter, he led the SEC in yards per reception (20.5) last year as a legitimate deep threat. As a talent, Burton (6-0, 202, 4.42) should be a Day 2 selection. Instead, he’s off at least two teams’ boards for various character-related issues and could face an agonizing drop in the draft.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
If any of these quotes are remotely real, some of these scouts need to take themselves less seriously. Some of these dudes sound like the players slept with their wives.

NDGAEDE

Reaction score
Would be a huge loss if we don't get a WR in this draft.

The comment about Pearsall was surprising. A faster Cooper Kupp you say...

My favorite is Polk, even though his write up wasn't great

Cebrin

Reaction score
I'm surprised Pearsall doesn't get more love. People say he's too light, but so was Cee Dee. Didn't take long for Cee Dee to add some muscle.