McGinn Draft Series - Part 4: RB

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Brooks led in the poll of 15 execs asking them to rank the backs 1-2-3-4-5, with a first-place vote worth 5 points, a fourth worth 4 and so on.

Brooks had eight firsts and 57 points. Following, in order, were Trey Benson (54 ½, five), Blake Corum (39, one), Jaylen Wright (24), Braelon Allen (11, one), Ray Davis (9 ½), MarShawn Lloyd (8 ½), Bucky Irving (6 ½), Will Shipley (four), Frank Gore (three), Isaac Guerendo (three), Audric Estime (three) and Rasheen Ali (two).

-

RUNNING BACKS

1. JONATHON BROOKS, Texas (6-0 ½, 214, no 40, 2-3): Third-year junior. “He’s not only a great person but he’s a really talented player,” one scout said. “They had brought in a guy with NIL money (CJ Baxter) and he still beat him out. They had those other backs (Bijan Robinson, Roschon Johnson) earlier in his career they tried to force in there but he was as good as they were. This guy’s a good player. He’s country, he’s tough and he’s fast. I’d say he’s a 4.4.” Carried just 51 times in 2021-’22 before delivering 1,139 yards in ’23. Suffered a torn ACL Nov. 11 against TCU and remains in rehabilitation. “You’ve got to worry about that,” a second scout said of the injury. “He was a really good player before that. He backed up Bijan Robinson, and when he came in the game there wasn’t much difference.” Finished with 238 carries for 1,479 yards (6.2-yard average) and 16 touchdowns. His reception total was 28. “He’s hurt but he’s good,” said a third scout. “Any other year he’d be a first-round dude. He catches, he runs, he’s got vision, he’s smooth. He’s got big-play ability. He’ll pound it in as well. I was never a huge Bijan guy so I don’t think there’s that much difference.” From Hallettsville, Texas.

2. TREY BENSON, Florida State (6-0, 221, 4.42, 2-3): Helped himself considerably with a swift 40 at the combine. “I estimated 4.60,” said one scout. “He surprised me. I blew him big-time. More of a straight-line guy. I thought he was best as a receiver. He’s my third-down back the way he can catch the ball, he can run and he’s a strong runner. I don’t really see elusiveness.” As a freshman at Oregon in 2020 he suffered a torn ACL, additional ligament damage and cartilage damage in a December practice. Available for just six carries in 2021 before becoming a Seminole. Made second team All-Atlantic Coast Conference the past two years. “Good player – very consistent,” said a second scout. “He can do everything. He’s a starter.” Finished with 316 rushes for 1,917 (6.1) and 24 TDs to go with 33 receptions. “He could go in the top 60,” a third scout said. “If you need one you’ve got to take one at some point. He’s a viable second-round talent. He’s not that great in the passing game. Not a real natural catcher. He’s not a hammer. He’s not lacking toughness. He’s more slippery. But he’s fast and sudden, got really good feet, hits home runs. No wasted motion to his running style. He’s also 220. Has a chance to be a pretty good player.” From Greenville, Miss. “Another big back who runs hard with vision but no juice, no quickness, no explosiveness,” a third scout said. “He’s the exact opposite of (Frank) Gore. He’s got all the measurables and the 40 and size.”

3. BLAKE CORUM, Michigan (5-7 ½, 204, 4.53, 2-3): Started 29 of 45 games over four years, setting the Wolverines’ record for touchdowns from scrimmage with 61 (28 in 2023). “Love that kid,” one scout said. “Great pad level, tough, hard to tackle, very strong for his frame. Just not a home-run guy, but the NFL is made of guys like that on first and second down. He can play on third down because you can trust him in pass protection. He’ll be a playoff-style running back when you have to run the football. I would not be afraid to take him in the second, based on your roster. He has to stay healthy but trust me, he will do everything in the offseason to make sure he’s healthy. In the offseason, Blake Corum will be one of those guys who’s in the building every single day even if he doesn’t have to be. Character is off the charts.” Was in the running for the Heisman Trophy in 2022 before suffering ligament, cartilage and bone damage in a knee late in the season. Still finished seventh before being named the team’s MVP and toughest player by vote of his teammates. Started all 15 games in 2023 but his yards per carry dipped from 5.9 to 4.8. “I thought he lost just a tick from what he was playing at before the injury,” a second scout said. “Undersized and shifty. Shows good quickness, speed and vision. Just limited in the pass game. He’s a playmaker with the ball in his hands. Willing in pass pro. The size obviously is there but he’s not afraid to throw his body around. Not a natural route runner but he can catch it. There’s a shot for him to be a starter.” Finished with 675 carries for 3,737 (5.5) and 58 TDs but caught just 56 passes. “He’s faster than Emmitt Smith but Smith weighed 10 more pounds and was taller,” a third scout said. “Of all the players in this year’s draft, if I had to pick one player that I loved watching, (Jayden) Daniels would be first and Corum would be the second. I don’t know if the guy can last at that size. Emmitt Smith had the best balance of anyone and this guy has that same type of balance. The guy is a terrific player.” His 27 reps on the bench press led the position. “Other than size, I really like him,” said a fourth scout. “I don’t like that size. I think he’s strictly a strong backup.” From Marshall, Va.

4. JAYLEN WRIGHT, Tennessee (5-10 ½, 210, 4.38, 3): Third-year junior led the Volunteers in rushing the past two seasons in an Air Raid offense. “He’s a slippery, darter-type runner that is highly efficient,” one scout said. “Has speed, quickness and vengeance. Will finish runs. He’s tough. Not into dodging when the picture becomes cloudy. Can elude in tight spaces. Can get to daylight. Not a punishing runner but very proficient with his style. Functional as a receiver but not as a blocker. His weakness would be the power to move piles and break tackles, pass pro and routes.” Fastest back in the draft. “More of a big-play, straight-line guy,” said a second scout. “Does have good hands. Of all the backs, this guy might be the most explosive. He’s not elusive.” Finished with 368 carries for 2,297 (6.2) and 18 TDs plus 30 receptions. His 7.4 average in 2023 led FBS. “He’s fast but I’m not going there,” a third scout said. Led the top 25 backs in the broad jump (11-2). From Durham, N.C.

5. BRAELON ALLEN, Wisconsin (6-1, 236, no 40, 3-4): Third-year junior. “God, I just wish he would show more,” one scout said. “There’s a ‘but’ that drives me crazy. It’s called consistency of domination. He doesn’t bring the hammer. He just doesn’t run big. He’s not Derrick Henry, by any means.” Finished with 597 carries for 3,494 (5.9) and 35 TDs to go with 49 catches. “Kind of a conundrum,” said a second scout. “For being a big, good-looking running back he doesn’t always play that way. There are times he thinks of himself as a 195-pound back, not a 230-pound back. The thing that’s concerning is his instincts and vision, which are pretty much a requirement for a running back. Some have it naturally. Maybe he’ll figure it out more as he gets a little older. He only played running back for the three seasons in college.” Recruited as a safety with a planned move to linebacker before injuries forced the Badgers to move him to RB almost immediately. One of the youngest players in the draft; turned 20 in January. “What’s interesting is he played his whole college career as a teenager,” said a third scout. “They ran more of a pro-style system with Paul Chryst and the kid was extremely productive two years in a row. This year, they switched to a shotgun-spread offense where he was a sidecar. There were a lot of delays. You go across, get the ball, then you go downhill. It did not fit his eye, so to speak. He still finished 16 yards from having 1,000 again. He is not the rolling ball of AJ Dillon but he’s got more foot agility and change of direction than Dillon. I think he’s got a chance to be pretty good because he is big and can break tackles. No, no, no, no, Derrick Henry is Secretariat. I think Allen would (run) 4.55.” Declined to run the 40 or shuttles at the combine or pro day. “I think he’s not running because he’s (slow),” said a fourth scout. “My biggest issue is what the speed would be and being up to that size. I wish he played more to his size, played nasty and ran guys over. But he is a big ***** to wrap up and bring down.” From Fond du Lac, Wis. “Poor man’s AJ Dillon,” said a fifth scout. “Take that for what it’s worth. He’s a big ol’ lumbering, straight-line guy that needs momentum to get going. He won’t make anyone miss with elusiveness or catching the ball. No, he’s not better than Ron Dayne. All those Wisconsin backs that ran for 2,000 yards a year and none of them are any good.”

6. RAY DAVIS, Kentucky (5-8 ½, 208, 4.52, 3-4): In a five-year career at three schools he led Temple in rushing twice, Vanderbilt once and Kentucky once. “He runs hard as ****,” one scout said. “He’s a f------ load. He’s productive, and they (Kentucky) never have an O-line. Never. I don’t know where he goes but every time I saw him on tape he was making yards.” One of 15 children, he spent much of his youth living in homeless shelters and foster care. “Three transfers – I didn’t want to like the guy because of all the transfers,” a second scout said. “The difference between him and Corum is this guy is more explosive. Made some one-handed catches. Height is the only problem. That and he does take a little punishment. I would rather have Corum because I know what he does play after play, but this guy is tough and more explosive. He’ll be 25 (in November).” Finished with 746 carries for 3,626 (4.9) and 29 TDs plus 94 catches, including an FBS high of seven touchdown receptions for a RB in 2023. “I like him way more than Wright,” said a third scout. “Tough, tough, determined, competitive, strength, explosiveness.” From San Francisco.

7. MARSHAWN LLOYD, Southern Cal (5-8 ½, 221, 4.45, 3-4): Fourth-year junior put in three years at South Carolina and 2023 at USC. “Fast guy with good hands,” one scout said. “His Senior Bowl was really good.” Redshirted in 2020 after suffering a torn ACL that August. “He had the ACL and played with a brace on his left knee,” said a second scout. “The vision’s not there, the feel’s not there. Just whatever’s ahead of you, run straight as hard as you can. If there’s a crease, you burst through. If there’s not, you get chopped down. Doesn’t know how to protect his body, doesn’t know how to (bounce), doesn’t know how to get skinny. Kind of a slasher with a crease. He’s a straight-line fast guy trying to play running back. I wouldn’t take him ‘til very late depending on how the knee checked out.” Finished with 291 carries for 1,621 (5.6) and 19 TDs to go with 34 receptions. “He’s really quick but he’s short,” a third scout said. “Two things I didn’t like was his height and the way he finishes. Strong lower body, excellent balance, catches the ball.” From Wilmington, Del.

8. BUCKY IRVING, Oregon (5-9, 195, 4.56, 4): Third-year junior. “Nice little player,” said one scout. “He’s quick, and in that wide-open system he gets a lot of big holes. He’s got really good vision. Hands are good. Not a dynamic player (but) I like him as a rotational backup.” Led Minnesota in all-purpose yards as a freshman in 2021 but headed west in search of more playing time. In 2023, he led FBS running backs in receptions with 56. “That 40 (4.56) surprised me because I thought the one thing he could do was explode,” said a second scout. “Aggressive runner, strong for his size, good receiver out of the backfield. Reminded me of Clyde Edwards-Helaire.” Finished with 475 carries for 2,937 (6.2) and 20 TDs plus 95 receptions. From Chicago.

9. WILL SHIPLEY, Clemson (5-11, 206, 4.45, 4-5): Third-year junior. “He kind of grows on you,” one scout said. “He’s going to need route-running refinement. He runs hard. He’s got a little talent. Fourth round.” Best year was 2022 when he rushed for a career-high 1,182 and caught a career-high 38. “Excellent runner, top receiver,” said a second scout. “Got hurt this year. A concussion against UNC and right knee against Kentucky. He alternated with (Phil) Mafah.” Finished with 526 carries for 2,748 (5.2) and 31 TDs plus 85 catches. “He’s OK,” a third scout said. “They run the stretch and that’s what he does best. He can follow his blocks. Got a little bit of burst. More straight line. Not really a tough guy. He ducks his head a lot on contact. Not a powerful guy. He likes the edges. If you got a crease, he’s got a little something to him. Finesse kind of runner. Hands are pretty good. He’ll go mid-rounds.” From Weddington, N.C.

10. ISAAC GUERENDO, Louisville (6-0, 223, 4.43, 4-5): Started one game in a career that covered five seasons at Wisconsin and a finale for the Cardinals. Blew out the combine with the fast 40 and a 41 ½-inch vertical jump that led the position. “This guy can fly,” one scout said. “His stock’s been rising. I could see him going second round, I guess. Some people really like him.” Beset by injuries and surrounded by better players at Wisconsin, his busiest year was 2022 with a modest 64 carries and 17 receptions. Transferred to Louisville in 2023 and had 132 carries behind starter Jawhar Jordan. “He was overshadowed by Jawhar Jordan,” said a second scout. “He got lost in the sauce, so to speak.” But some teams like the fact he enters the NFL with merely 273 touches from scrimmage. “He’s still learning the position,” a third scout said. “I think he’s got a chance. He’s got size to do that.” Finished with 231 carries for 1,392 (6.0) and 17 TDs to go with 42 catches. “When he played at both places he played well,” a fourth scout said. “There must be a place for him. Key thing is he doesn’t have miles on his body. Excellent quickness and balance. One-cut downhill style. The only negative is he takes hits.” From Clayton, Ind.

11. AUDRIC ESTIME, Notre Dame (5-11 ½, 222, 4.63, 4-5): Third-year junior. “He actually played to his size,” one scout said. “Compact, downhill, powerful back. Good contact balance. Average speed, lacks some burst. He’d be a real good short-yardage back. The pass game stuff is what held me back from being a true starter. He’ll be a real good No. 2. A one-cut, stick his foot in, run you over type. Better between the tackles.” Finished with 373 carries for 2,321 (6.2) and 29 TDs plus 26 receptions. “I don’t know why everybody was so shocked when he ran so slow at the combine,” a second scout said. “That’s the way he played. Just a one-gear big dude. He’s got good vision but they clear it out and he has a nice little path to run in. Nothing elusive. Just a guy.” From Nyack, N.Y.

12. TYRONE TRACY, Purdue (5-11, 209, 4.48, 4-5): Started 16 of his 38 games as a wide receiver at Iowa from 2018-’21. Had 36 receptions in 2019. Team captain in ’21. Transferred to Purdue in 2022 and was a backup wideout before moving to running back last year and flourishing. “Love him,” one scout said. “Change of pace guy. Did really well in his first year really playing running back.” Posted 113 of his career total of 146 rushes in 2023 when he led the Big Ten in yards per carry (6.4). Finished with 947 (6.5) and 10 TDs to go with 113 receptions. “Kind of new to the position so he’s feeling it out,” a second scout said. “His vision keeps him alive. Like a No. 3 running back who contributes on special teams. Not a powerful back but he’s grown into that body and stays on his feet and fights for extra yardage. Has enough speed to get outside. Struggled in pass pro.” His 3-cone time of 6.81 led the position. From Indianapolis.

OTHERS: Dylan Laube, New Hampshire; Rasheen Ali, Marshall; Dillon Johnson, Washington; Frank Gore, Southern Mississippi; Isaiah Davis, South Dakota State; Cody Schrader, Missouri; Jawhar Jordan, Louisville; Mike Wiley, Arizona; Jabari Small, Tennessee; George Holani, Boise State; Kimani Vidal, Troy; Kendall Milton, Georgia; Jase McClellan, Alabama; Daijun Edwards, Georgia; Blake Watson, Memphis; Emani Bailey, Texas Christian.

UNSUNG HERO
Dylan Laube, New Hampshire: Prolific rusher-receiver-returner. Laube (5-10, 206, 4.46) dominated FCS competition for much of his six-year career. “He’s a poor man’s (Christian) McCaffrey or Danny Woodhead,” one scout said. “He’s as good of a receiving back as there is in the draft. One of my favorite players.” Added a second scout: “Very good … at that level. Now once you start getting in the upper competition he gets exposed for lack of explosion. But he’s got enough skill set to make a team.”

SCOUTS’ NIGHTMARE
Dillon Johnson, Washington: Spent three seasons receiving more than rushing in the late Mike Leach’s Air Raid attack at Mississippi State. Went to Washington in 2023 and played through injury after injury to help the Huskies reach the national championship game. Johnson (5-11 ½, 215, 4.74) hurt himself with a poor combine. “Love the way he physically finished runs,” said one scout. “Showed burst to get downhill quickly. But you don’t want to draft that (4.74). If you got some comp picks in the sixth or seventh (rounds) you take a flier and not have to go into a bidding war post-draft.”

QUOTE TO NOTE
AFC executive in personnel: “I hate all this devaluation by position. If you look, all the teams that win, for the most part, and unless they have a complete freak-show quarterback end up running the ball. I don’t care what year it is. You’ve got to be able to run the ball.”

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Certainly sounds like Brooks is the clear top back in this class, despite his injury. Ray Davis sounds like a good sleeper!

NDGAEDE

Reaction score
This is why I like Corum better than Benson. Corum is elusive like Emmitt was, with the scout specifically mentioning his great balance. Benson doesn't have that style at at all. Maybe I'm nostalgic, but I prefer runners with shiftiness. The leadership stuff matters too.

Though I doubt we draft him and have two short backs. I think Brooks is our guy all the way, though every team and their mom knows that and can easily stop us

chicago JK

Reaction score
Nice write up on Brooks. And also Ray Davis.

I don’t know where to rank Brroks though who is rehabbing an injury. Typically you expect the following season to be where you see the real Brooks. When you consider running backs are a one contract players, tough to take one who may not be his real self in year 1 in the second round.

Corum is my favorite of the bunch despite his high workload in college. Just don’t think he is the best value in round 2

Malhavoc

Reaction score
I wouldn’t mind Brooks or Benson in round 2, but I could easily pass on them. Davis and Lloyd are my guys.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Lool, Benson supposedly “Another big back who runs hard with vision but no juice, no quickness, no explosiveness…”

Morons, smh.

Seriously, this is why it’s so laughable when folks treat media scouting reports like gospel. The guys McGinn is using for quotes are supposedly real scouts and they are dumb as rocks.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Lool, Benson supposedly “Another big back who runs hard with vision but no juice, no quickness, no explosiveness…”

Morons, smh.

Seriously, this is why it’s so laughable when folks treat media scouting reports like gospel. The guys McGinn is using for quotes are supposedly real scouts and they are dumb as rocks.
Dane isn’t that high on him as well, but I see a back who never goes down after the 1st contact

Malhavoc

Reaction score
I like Benson and Brooks, but I just don’t see a lot of separation from them and guys that could be had later.

Aven8

Reaction score
A lot riding on who they pick. They have to nail it