McGinn Top 55 scout talk (defense only)

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The following is an early guess at the 23 defensive players that might fall among the first 55 players drafted. Last week, the top 32 offensive players were listed.

This projected Top 55 will serve as a run-up to my NFL Draft Series, which I’ve assembled annually since 1985. It will begin about 10 days before the draft, which is scheduled April 25-27.

Personnel people offered their assessments of players to me last month before the start of workouts at the Combine. Their comments were based almost exclusively on their exposure to players both in live looks and tape study.

-

DEFENSE (23)

Defensive linemen (5)

Byron Murphy, Texas (6-0 ½, 297):
Posted the third-fastest 40 time among the defensive linemen (4.87). “His athletic ability and quickness are amazing … off the charts,” one scout said. “Plays his *** off. He’s destructive. The two-gap stuff is not really his deal but he’ll drop a knee in there, he’ll hang in there. Pass rush, his power and explosiveness through the gap, that’s his deal. In this modern NFL, with all the throwing, he’s going to be a problem. I like him better than (Calijah) Kancey from last year, who was another undersized guy. Much better player. Stronger. Kancey kind of came on a little because he worked out like a phenom, but I don’t care how this guy worked out.” His vertical jump of 33 inches ranked second at the position. Bench-pressed 28 times. “Disciplined both run and pass,” another scout said. “Excellent straight-line power pass rusher. Thing that worries me is he’s going to be 6-0 and weigh only 300. You will have to team him up with a (much bigger) guy. Can Murphy play square? Yes, I think he can play square.” Arms were just 32 3/8 inches, hands were 10 ¼ inches. “High character,” said a third scout. “He’s sudden, flexible, plays on his feet. Hands and feet work well together. Got pass rush for an inside guy. He’s fairly strong for his size but he’s more of a movement-oriented scheme player, of which there are many nowadays. He’s the best one.”

Darius Robinson, Missouri (6-5, 285): Fifth-year senior dropped about 20 pounds entering the season to move from defensive tackle to defensive end/edge rusher. It resulted in easily his finest season (8 ½ sacks, 14 tackles for loss). “He can play left end in a 4-3 or 3-technique, and probably 5-technique,” one scout said. “He’s got no body fat at all. Looks like you want them to be. Knee bender, strong, really good with his hands, explosive, good feet for a big man. He is (stout). His stock is just rising now. No. 20 wouldn’t surprise me. Far less players have gone in that realm.” His subpar 40 of 4.95, however, probably results in him being categorized as a defensive lineman. “He’s so technique-oriented I’m not sure how explosive he is,” said a second scout. “Quick, active and has movement. He could play in a two-point stance, and he did play in a two-point stance. He played 7-technique sometimes. I think he’s more explosive than he shows because he’s so technique-oriented.” Impressed with vertical jump of 35. Long arms (34 ½), large hands (10 5/8). “I put him on the edge,” said a third scout. “I couldn’t see his body type as an inside guy. He’s a 3-4 (outside linebacker). Gives you effort. He can play but he doesn’t show you much distinguishing talent. He’d be in your rotation but I didn’t see starter talent.”

Braden Fiske, Florida State (6-0 ½, 292): Played five years at Western Michigan and another in Tallahassee. Had multiple injuries (bulging lumbar disc, shoulder surgery, elbow surgery) in high school and Kalamazoo. “You don’t want to like him because he doesn’t look awesome,” said one scout. “But this guy plays every down like he’s going to the firing squad after the down’s over. I don’t know if I’ve ever seen anybody play this hard. The lack of length shows up as a pass rusher, but for his size he’s powerful and a penetrator. He gets behind the line of scrimmage. He can run. Really good athlete. He can bend. He’s going to be a really good player. It wouldn’t even surprise me to see him go ahead of Murphy. This guy’s a f------ buzzsaw.” Made 31 starts for the Broncos and 13 for FSU, finishing with 19 ½ sacks. “Has short arms but uses his hands well,” a second scout said. “Outstanding worker. Has to be kicked out of the weight room. Blue-collar pro mindset. More disruptive than productive as a rusher. Gets stuck on bigger and longer offensive linemen at times.” Paced the position in the 40 (4.78), vertical jump (33 ½) and broad jump (9-9). Had 26 reps on the bench and scored 24 on the Wonderlic. “He just goes all-out, all-out, all-out,” said a third scout. “The more you watch him the more you like him.” Had a big week at the Senior Bowl. Arms were just 31, hands were 9 3/8.

Jer’Zhan Newton, Illinois (6-1 ½, 304): Was unable to work in Indianapolis after undergoing foot surgery in January. He reportedly played through the injury during the latter stages of 2023. “He’s neck and neck with Murphy,” one scout said. “He’s a little more stout than Murphy but not as athletic or as explosive. Has outstanding instincts, leverage. Explosive into gaps. Uses his hands great. Disruptive. Not an elite talent like Murphy. He’s a sturdy kind of playmaker.” Four-year player with 18 sacks. “Just an excellent football player,” a second scout said. “Strong, powerful, active, can rush the passer. Played defensive tackle for a bad team and had 7 ½ sacks this year. If he was playing at Michigan or Ohio State or Alabama everybody would be, like, ‘Wow, wow, wow.’ Only negative was his height, but he’s 295 and I think he can run. He’s Big Ten all-academic. I don’t know if that means anything but that conference prides itself on that. Blocked four kicks this year. He’s not only talented but he plays hard.” Arms were 32 3/8, hands were just 9 1/8. “There is something to him but he’s inconsistent, which is who he is as a kid, too,” a third scout said. “You like the athlete more than the player. He can get an edge. He’s got some inside rush. His motor is really up and down. Doesn’t play with power. Has to be a 3-tech in a four-man front. He’s a good athlete, not a superior athlete for (3-technique).”

T’Vondre Sweat, Texas (6-4 ½, 366): The Longhorns’ first unanimous All-America defensive tackle since Kenneth Sims in 1981. “You see these video games,” said one scout. “He just picks people up and tosses guys. He’s an athlete. He’s mobile. And for a big guy he played hard. At the Senior Bowl he must have weighed 400 pounds or something because he refused to step on the scale.” Came in at 366 a month later at the combine. “He’s going to go first round but he’s an overweight lazy (bleep),” a second scout said. “He is very talented. He’s always going to have a weight problem. You can take that to the bank. He played in spurts the last couple years. But the big, strong (bleep) is hard to move.” Compared by scouts to nose tackles such as Gilbert Brown, Sam Adams and Jordan Davis. “He’s been up to almost 400,” said a third scout. “He’s like 380 something in-season. His football character is terrible. For people that don’t care he’s got top-two round ability. He’s not quite the freak show that Jordan Davis was but for a big, fat guy he does some pretty impressive (bleep).” Statistically, his last of five seasons was his best. Clocked 5.27, vertical jump of 26 and broad jump of 8-2. Arms were 33 3/8, hands were 10 1/8.

-

Edge rushers (7)

Laiatu Latu, UCLA (6-4 ½, 259, 4.64):
Played at Washington, sat out 2020 with a neck injury and, in March 2021, the Huskies declared him as medically retired. Nine months later, Latu announced that he would attempt to resume his career at UCLA, which he did playing 25 games in 2022-’23. “I know he’s got all this medical stuff but as far as a player he is a menace,” one scout said. “He’s Top 5 as far just what he does in games. His rush feel, the moves, the spins, the instincts, the technique. He’s just a difference-maker. He reminded me of (Jaelan) Phillips when he came out of Miami. To me, he’s the best (edge). But I keep hearing about how bad his injury stuff is. You get into necks, that’s the thing that might get him.” Saved his best for last with 13 sacks, two interceptions and two forced fumbles in 2023. “Strictly a technician,” a second scout said. “He’s not an explosive guy. He is a very smart player. He’s a 3-4 ‘backer. Best as a pass rusher. Better on the right side than the left side. He can play in space. He does not play against the run well at all. Gets high, could be more physical. I think what you see is what you get with him.” Clocked 4.64 and his jumps were solid. “He’s just natural as a pass rusher,” said a third scout. “He’s got some off-field concerns. He’s a Top 15 guy depending on how you feel about the injury.” Arms were 32 5/8, hands were 9 5/8.

Chop Robinson, Penn State (6-3, 254): Third-year junior. “He hasn’t produced like the UCLA guy (Latu) and isn’t quite as big,” one scout said. “But he’s got some rare (bleep) in the tank as far as get-off, the ability to bend and get low, the ability to come out of the turn. He’s going to run in the 4.4s. If you’re going to knock him, he only had four sacks this year. He missed a couple games (with injury). He plays his *** off. He needs to get a little bit better finishing on extended plays.” Clocked 4.48 with jumps of 34 ½ (vertical) and 10-8 (broad). “You can’t find guys that can take off, explode and bend like this guy,” another scout said. “If you watched Myles Garrett when he came out he’s got the same first two steps. The amazing thing is he’s so flexible. But he doesn’t make plays. Talented, but a project. I question how tough and physical he is.” Compared by a third scout to Haason Reddick and Arnold Ebiketie. “You talk about coming off the ball and flattening the edge, whoa,” he said. “He’s more disruptive than his stats. He’s a little guy but he’s mean. In run support he’s more of a chase edge guy than coming right at ‘em.” Arms were 32 ½, hands were just 9 1/8.

Dallas Turner, Alabama (6-2 ½, 247): Third-year junior with three starts in 2021, 10 in ’22 and 14 in ’23. “He’s a playmaker,” said one scout. “His technique needs to improve but he’s got tools to be a force. He can set the edge versus tight ends and stretch plays. He can stress edges. Better pass rusher. Little undersized but he’s active and twitchy and has speed and close.” Played opposite Will Anderson in 2022. “They’re not even comparable,” a second scout said. “Anderson played hard, played tough against the run. This guy against the run, he just catches. Not a good tackler at all. … He can cover, too. But when you stick him as a 7-technique in a two-point stance he can rush the passer.” Made some money at the Combine with edge-leading efforts in the 40 (4.46) and the vertical jump (40 ½). “I can’t figure out what the big deal is,” a third scout said, obviously before Indy. “He’ll flash a play every so often when they stunt him and he comes free. He just doesn’t have much distinguishing talent and he’s not really productive. Off the edge he’s not really a silky-moving guy. They drop him a lot and I don’t know why because he’s not that kind of an athlete. Against the run he’s not really rugged. He’ll flash some stuff against tight ends. Overall, I don’t see much.” Very long arms (34 3/8), hands were 9 7/8.

Jared Verse, Florida State (6-4, 254): Played tight end in high school and had zero FBS offers. Spent three years at FCS Albany, gaining 40 pounds during the pandemic and moving to defensive end. Had 18 sacks in two seasons for the Seminoles. “He kind of plays like a guy that went to Albany,” said one scout. “Pissed off that’s where he went. He’s not the top three (edges) but he’s good. It wouldn’t surprise me of he went in the last few picks of the first but he’s probably more like a second-rounder. Not on the level physically as the others. More like bad ***. Strong. Tough ***.” Clocked 4.58, impressed in the jumps (35 vertical, 10-7 broad) and led on the bench press with 31. “He’s the most complete defensive end,” a second scout said. “Plays with really good technique, pad level and leverage against the run. He is stout against the run. Explosive pass rusher. He played hard play after play after play.” Arms were 33 ½, hands were 9 7/8. “Not a top talent but I like the way he played,” said a third scout. “Got a lot of energy. As a pass rusher, he’s not really a guy trying to beat you off the edge with moves. He’s more, ‘I’m gonna keep coming with second effort.’ He brings it all the time and wears people out.”

Bralen Trice, Washington (6-3 ½, 245): Voted the Huskies’ defensive MVP two years in a row. “He’s a disciplined player with strength against the run and explosion against the pass,” one scout said. “I’d probably take him over Verse because he’s more explosive. But he misses tackles. He has all kinds of pressures but in eight games I watched he missed 14 tackles. I’m sure you can get the guy to break down.” Clocked 4.72. “He and Verse are kind of similar in that you just love the way they play,” a second scout said. “Strong at the point of attack. Works his hands really well. In space, he doesn’t have that top agility and explosiveness. More of a power dude. Just keeps working. Can play different positions along the line. He’s a solid player, not a difference-maker. He could sneak into the first.” Arms were 32 ½, hands were just 9. “Big thumper,” a third scout said. “Better run player than pass rusher. Fifth, sixth round.”

Marshawn Kneeland, Western Michigan (6-3, 267): Accumulated 12 ½ sacks and 149 tackles (28 for loss) in four Mid-American Conference seasons. “I was ready to throw him away: ‘Western Michigan, who’s he?’” confessed one scout. “You wonder why there wasn’t more production, but he’s got a ton of talent. He is really athletic. He has some explosiveness. When he moves around in space he looks like a linebacker. He has movement and feel. Plays hard. Second round.” Worked out well with a 40 of 4.75, a vertical of 35 ½ and a broad jump of 9-11. “He does play really hard,” said a second scout. “Looks better in one on one’s. He’s strong, violent. Got some stiffness. Not a great athlete or mover. Better football player than athlete. Good rotational player.” Arms were 34 ½, hands were 9 1/8.

Jonah Elliss, Utah (6-2, 248): Entered 2023 with just four sacks in two years before erupting for 12 in his finale. “He’s got to go to a 3-4 team so you can blitz him,” said one scout. “He’s not dominant (rushing) but he knows how to work his hands. His Dad was a coach, and that’s what he plays like. He’s got a spin move. Excellent on stunts. On the edge, he can beat tight ends real easy. He’s not really a guy to take on tackles. Good enough athlete with some explosiveness, quickness and speed.” His father, Luther, spent nine years of his 10-year NFL career as a defensive tackle with the Lions and made two Pro Bowls. He’s an assistant coach at Utah tutoring defensive tackles. “He should have gone back to school,” said a second scout. “Has a good takeoff. Really a nice athlete. They drop him and he plays well in space. Really a smooth, disciplined guy. I don’t know how much better the guy’s going to be.” Suffered a major shoulder injury late in the season and couldn’t work at the combine. Arms were 33, hands were 10 ½.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Linebackers (2)

Edgerrin Cooper, Texas A&M (6-2, 230):
Four-year player, two-year starter. “He was the only one of the ‘backers that looked like the entire package,” said one scout. “He’s by far the best because he can rush the passer, too. Eight sacks this year as the boundary linebacker. He did play 7-technique sometimes. Has up-field dip. As an inside ‘backer, he timed his blitzes. You see him downfield with backs on wheels.” Clocked 4.51 with a vertical of 34 ½ and a broad jump of 9-10. “Starting with Alabama (Oct. 7) he played as good as any linebacker there is,” a second scout said. “He can fly. He might go (first round) but he can’t wear the green dot. They had a freshman (Taurean York) running the defense. Cooper’s problem is he’s a real linear built kid. He weighed 218 at the start of the year.” Has very long arms (34). “Physical freak,” a third scout said. “You want to draw up an NFL linebacker, he looks like one. Just the way this guy moves. He can cover — better in man than zone … He has been a little inconsistent. There are some concerns about his instincts. Just don’t give this guy too much. Put him at ‘will’ and let him run around. From a physical standpoint, if you’re comfortable with the guy mentally, he has first-round talent.”

Payton Wilson, North Carolina State (6-4, 233): Two personnel men said he was a better prospect than Jack Campbell, the Lions’ selection at No. 18 a year ago. “Oh, yeah,” said one. “Jack Campbell is a good player but this guy is much more gifted. If this was 1998, he’d be a Top 10 pick. The position gets devalued some but he could play every position in a 4-3 or a 3-4. He’ll be a green-dot guy. He’s brilliant. He makes plays in the run game, he makes plays in the box, makes plays in space. He can blitz, make plays in the passing game. His deal is medical. He’s got a bad shoulder and a bad knee. It’s just a matter of how your medical (staff) sees it.” Suffered a torn ACL in high school. Dislocated both shoulders in 2020. Suffered another shoulder injury in Game 2 of 2021 and underwent surgery. “He’s really lean,” a second scout said. “I can see why he gets hurt all the time. He’s always in the action. I love the way he plays. All over the place, excellent instincts, motor. But he’s in that injury pile where he’ll get knocked down.” Led linebackers with a 40 of 4.43 to go with jumps of 34 ½ (vertical) and 9-11 (broad). Several scouts expressed disappointment about his short arms (30 1/2) and small hands (9). “You really root for the guy,” a third scout said. “He is a football player.”

-

Cornerbacks (6)

Nate Wiggins, Clemson (6-1 ½, 173):
Even after the combine, where draft boards are arranged based on the 40s, there remains little consensus ranking the corners. Wiggins put a leg up by running the fastest 40 (4.28). “He looks the part,” one scout said. “Big, long, real good speed. Better in press. When he presses and uses his size and length he can really run with guys and jam. Off the ball, he’s not a change-of-direction movement guy so play to his strengths. He needs to turn up his focus. He is competitive. Little bit of panic with his back to the ball but his ball skills were good. Talented guy with a little bit more to give. When he needs to do it (tackle) he's strong and can. But this is one of those selective dudes. You know it’s in there.” Other scouts describe him as a “floater,” which means he looks to avoid contact unless it’s essential. “He doesn’t have great physical presence in 50-50 (contested ball situations) and he’s probably the worst tackler,” said a second scout. “I don’t think he’d get DQ’d for it. Little light in the *** but you can get him bigger. Man cover is excellent. Liked his feet.” Wiggins was hoping to run sub-4.2 but suffered a strained groin during his 40 and settled for 4.28. “His upside is there,” a third scout said. “He has the total package. It’s just a matter if he can match up the mental and the physical for the pro game. He needs some more meat (on his bones) but his quickness, change of direction and speed is good. He’ll be able to match up with pretty much anybody.” Arms were 30 ½, hands were 9. “He’s gonna go in the first,” a fourth scout said. “But you know better than anybody, Clemson DBs, there have been some busts now.”

Cooper DeJean, Iowa (6-0 ½, 203): Unable to work at the Combine because of the broken fibula that sidelined him for the final four games. “He’s like a low-4.4 guy all the time,” said one scout. “The injury could be an issue but talent-wise, he could do everything. He can play every position in the secondary, and return punts, and probably be a running back if you wanted him to. The guy is a unique athlete. The athlete this guy is, you watch him play basketball, he can pretty much do anything. He’s not bloodthirsty but he’s solid as a tackler in space.” Also lettered in baseball, basketball and track as a prep in Odebolt, Iowa. “He’s an enigma in some ways,” said a second scout. “He’s more of a zone guy than he is a man guy because Iowa plays mostly zone coverage. You say, ‘Well, he should be able to do this,’ but I’m not 100% positive because you’ve never seen him do it. You need guys that can play man coverage in the NFL and I’m not sure he’s that guy. The skill-set is there. The injury worries you. The things you’ve never seen worry you. But he's big, strong, fast, smart and can also return punts at a high level.” Returned three interceptions for touchdowns in 2022 and posted a career average of 13.1 returning punts. “He’s solid, not special,” a third scout said. “Good, not a great athlete. Gets a lot of balls caught on him. Run support, he’s not a killer. More of an ankle-biter, drag-down guy. As a punt returner, nothing magic there.” Arms were 31 1/8, hands were 9 5/8.

Quinyon Mitchell, Toledo (6-0, 195): Academic issues played a role why he ended up in the MAC rather than a Power 5 conference. “Only thing that worries you about him is just the level of guys he was going against consistently,” said one scout. “Once he gets used to dealing with other guys he’ll be able to do it because his skill set is so good. He’s willing (to tackle). I don’t know if he was saving himself in certain situations or it was that I’m-getting-ready-to-go-pro deal. Some games you could see him really selling out and other games you could kind of see him going, ‘Maybe next week.’” Three-year starter with five interceptions (two for touchdowns) as a junior and then just one pick in 2023. “This year, teams stayed away from him,” said a second scout. “Wasn’t challenged deep much. Quick feet, loose hips, great range. He might turn out to be the best of the group.” Posted the second fastest 40 (4.33) at the position and his 20 reps on the bench press ranked first. “He’s an athletic development guy,” said a third scout. “He played young without much tempo. Didn’t have a great feel for the game. Grabs all over the place. It’s more an athlete playing as opposed to a player with really good athletic ability. Maybe because of Toledo and all that. Maybe at the Senior Bowl he turned it up, but two days of practice isn’t a true indicator.” Arms were 31, hands were 9 ¼.

Terrion Arnold, Alabama (5-11 ½, 189): Redshirted in 2021, made seven starts in ’22 and had five picks and 12 passes defensed in ’23. “Other than technique and consistency he has it all,” said one scout. “He’s got fluid movement skills. He can play off and press. Zone, man. He anticipates. He has the speed to cover deep. He can hit and tackle. He makes plays. He has no weakness. Top 20.” Playing opposite Kool-Aid McKinstry, teams challenged him more often. “I like him more than Kool-Aid because he’s more physical,” a second scout said. “Good aggressive tackler. He comes up and actually hits people. It’ll get down to what he runs.” In Indy, he clocked 4.50, the 19th-best time at the position. How that affects his draft status remains to be seen. “Really, he’s just learning how to play the position,” a third scout said. “He checks so many boxes that don’t include his natural athleticism. When you look into his background he’s got leader written all over him. He was a safety at some point so he is (a hitter), but he’s fast so they moved him outside. To me, he’s the top guy because you don’t have to figure out what he can’t do.” Vertical of 37, broad jump of 10-9 were adequate. Arms were 31 5/8, hands were 8 7/8.

Kool-Aid McKinstry, Alabama (5-11 ½, 199): Five-star recruit made six starts for injured Josh Jobe as a freshman in 2021 before taking over in ’22 and breaking up a career-high 15 passes. “His weaknesses are warding off blocks in run support,” one scout said. “No, no, he’s not timid. Doesn’t have much play strength. Everything else he’s got. Coverability, athletic ability, size, speed, production, tackling, competes. He’s a very good coverage corner. He’ll have a focus loss and give up a play. But he can be sticky on abrupt change (of direction) by the receiver.” Plans to work at pro day March 20 after being red-flagged at the combine for a foot fracture. “More of a man guy than a zone guy,” said a second scout. “He gives you the benefit of the punt return. When you watch him return it looks like he can run. He’s OK, not overly physical. You don’t look for corners to be overly physical. He gave up some plays early but got better as the season went along.” Arms were 32, hands were 8 1/2. “I guess he’ll be taken in the first,” a third scout said. “Good athlete, not great. But really a non-factor (against the run). He doesn’t even float in run support. He just absolutely refused to do anything in run support. I question this guy’s NFL temperament.” Added a fourth scout: “I thought he’d run 4.5.”

Max Melton, Rutgers (5-11, 187): Started 40 of 43 games, intercepting eight passes. “He’s kind of what you’d expect out of a Rutgers guy,” one scout said. “Their top guys always show up. They’re like flies. You can keep swatting at them but here they come. He’s probably going mid-to-late second, early third at the latest. He’s tough, athletic and competes hard.” Very impressive at the combine in the 40 (4.39), vertical jump (40 ½) and broad jump (position-best 11-4). “He was a surprise,” said a second scout. “Really talented athlete. Held his own against (Marvin) Harrison. He’ll be one of the faster guys at the combine. There’s a play against Ohio State he chased that running back (TreVeyon Henderson) down from across the field. It was, like, ‘Whoa.’ Can press and run with guys. Real good in zone coverage. Doesn’t play strong in run (support); at 193, he should be better than what he is. Second round.” His brother, Bo, helped the Packers down the stretch as a wide receiver. “His brother was really fast (5-11, 190, 4.42), and it’s taken him a couple years to get active,” a third scout said. “I don’t think it will take this kid that long. You get this kid with the right coach, you’d really have something.” Arms were 32 1/8, hands were 9 1/8.

-

Safeties (3)

Tyler Nubin, Minnesota (6-1, 199):
Started for 3 ½ years, registering a school-record 13 picks. “He’s bigger, a more sturdy looking guy, and he will f--king hit you,” one scout said. “Like, he brings it. Good overall athlete. More of a build-speed type. He’ll be a good starting player.” Didn’t run or test at the combine. “They play him (in the box),” a second scout said. “But if you watch him covering on special teams you know he can play in space. He is a special-teams demon. If you just watch him play in their defense you don’t see him go backwards very often. Nubin has great ball skills, too, if you look at his stats. For a guy you don’t see going backwards very often he’s always around the ball.” Four-time All-Big Ten academic selection. “I got him in the fourth or fifth,” said a third scout. “Linebacker mentality. Has some big hits. Best in the box. Has tight hips and needs to gather to change direction. Doesn’t have a closing burst. Questionable one-on-one coverage ability. Strong, aggressive player. Good square tackler. Struggles in man (coverage). I didn’t see it. I’d like to play against him.” Arms were 32, hands were 9.

Calen Bullock, Southern California (6-2, 188): The vast majority of his 32 starts over three years were at safety. “He’s built more like a corner,” one scout said. “Long and thin and lean. Excellent athlete. He can fly. You put him in the back there and he can cover all kinds of space. His ball skills are awesome. He can run. He can man cover. As for being a run-support safety, he doesn’t want much to do with it. Takes some bad fits and hangs back. If you can live with what he's good at, you take him. If you can’t, then don’t draft him and tell him to get down in the box and expect him to be banging people. Just keep him back, keep him clean and let him cover. Somebody might (draft him in the first).” Picked off nine passes, including five in 2022. “I wasn’t a fan, at least not high,” a second scout said. “He’s very thin, which doesn’t bode well. He's a middle of the field safety. He doesn’t see route (combinations) real fast, which means he’s in trouble in zone. Gets out of position too easy. As a 190-pound safety you’re not going to have him standing in that box a whole lot. He’s not a physical guy. He will turn it down. There’s a lot of reasons why that USC defense was so bad. A (thin) safety has got to be one of the reasons.” Clocked 4.48. Arms were 32 ½, hands were 9. “We think he’s a corner,” said a third scout. “Makes some business decisions as a tackler. But then, he’s big, he’s got loose hips, he can run, he has ball skills. He shows more presence in coverage than he does as a tackler. Third round.”

Cole Bishop, Utah (6-2, 206): Ran faster (4.45, which tied for third fastest among safeties) than expected at the combine in contrast to Miami’s Kamren Kinchens (5-11, 203, 4.65), another safety who went to Indy carrying more hype. “Smart, aggressive player,” one scout said. “Best as a free safety. Has a linebacker mentality. If you play for Kyle (Whittingham), you have to have that mentality. Good football player. He’s a one-speed, no burst guy. I question his one-on-one cover ability. Third round. I’m not sure about his speed.” (Editor’s note: all interviews were before the combine). Added a 39-inch vertical jump and a 10-4 broad jump. “He was kind of their defensive leader,” a second scout said. “He can do everything. He can play nickel. He’s smart, sees it quick. He goes to get it whether it’s run or pass. He’s around the ball a lot. Third round.” Short arms (29 ¾), hands were 9 ½. “Kind of an overachiever,” a third scout said. “Gets juked in space a lot. More cleanup than playmaker in coverage.”

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Fiske has to be kicked out the weight room?

Sounds like he has trouble with authority.

No thanks.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
This is better than the offensive writeup, but there's still a few moments where these anonymous scouts look like they're watching a different tape than me.

Johnny Newton is inconsistent? All the dude did was show up and make plays for 2 years. And I have no idea how you call that guy a loafer.

Latu can't play the run at all? He had 21 freaking TFLs.

I actually agree with the criticisms about Turner. He's got every speed-rushing tool in the bag, but didn't turn it into the kind of disruption you'd expect. The sack and TFL splash stats look good, but his pass rushing rate stats are in the lower half of the class.

reddyuta

Reaction score
Latu should be off our board,dont want more risk in the draft.

My3Sons

Reaction score
This is better than the offensive writeup, but there's still a few moments where these anonymous scouts look like they're watching a different tape than me.

Johnny Newton is inconsistent? All the dude did was show up and make plays for 2 years. And I have no idea how you call that guy a loafer.

Latu can't play the run at all? He had 21 freaking TFLs.

I actually agree with the criticisms about Turner. He's got every speed-rushing tool in the bag, but didn't turn it into the kind of disruption you'd expect. The sack and TFL splash stats look good, but his pass rushing rate stats are in the lower half of the class.
^^This

Newton had 7.5 sacks from DT playing with nobodies. And he played half the year on a broken foot.

He is the "steal of the draft" kind of player.