McNabb on Romo's new deal

BoysRule2

Benched
Reaction score
And what a dufus...

McNabb welcomes Romo into rich QB club with warning

AP

Donovan McNabb, who signed a 12-year, $115 million contract in 2002, said during his conference call with Dallas reporters that he was "excited" for Tony Romo. Unlike McNabb, Romo might actually get every dollar of his six-year, $67 million deal inked this week.

"I felt he probably should have gotten it earlier in the off-season, but as you can see, it didn’t bother him," McNabb said. "He continued to stay focused. He's excited to be now looked upon as the franchise guy."

But McNabb wasn't all warm and fuzzy when asked about Romo's new deal. He wanted to offer his fellow franchise QB a warning.

"One thing that he'll begin to find out is people who were some of your closest friends and tight friends, they'll begin to fade away from him," McNabb said. "I guess they'll be upset that you've got all that money and they weren’t able to get their money."

If McNabb is referring to Romo's teammates, I think he's off the mark. As best buddy Jason Witten said this week, Romo is the one guy can get a monster deal without making anybody jealous. He's earned respect by working his way from a undrafted roster long shot to franchise QB, and he can relate to everybody in the locker room, from the rookies clinging to a roster spot to a household name like T.O.

Romo has plenty of swagger, but he doesn't have the same kind of ego as McNabb. Romo wants to be a leader while remaining one of the guys. McNabb expects to be The Man. One has an our team approach; the other a my team approach.

And then there's the major difference between Dallas and Philly ownership. The Eagles are known for not paying veterans who have produced, instead replacing them with young players. Jerry has proven over and over that he'll take care of Cowboys who outperform their contracts.

Considering the Eagles' success over the last six years and Dallas' playoff win drought, you can certainly make a case that Philly's way works better. But the Eagles had a franchise QB all along while the Cowboys finally found one after years of searching.

And the gut feeling here is that Romo is better suited to handle that role than McNabb, at least in the locker room

Holloway805

05 & 09 Pick a Winner Champ
Reaction score
I think McNabbs friends drifted away from "the Man" for other reasons. His ego is front and center.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Tony was already making about $1 million over these last two seasons ('06 and '07). If he's going to lose friends over being rich, he probably already lost them.

JJB500

Reaction score
If you lose friends because of how much money you make, they weren't good friends to begin with. No big loss!!!!!!

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Ya know, McNabb really should learn to just shut up.

sago1

Reaction score
Mickey Spagnola in one of his Cowboy shows mentioned McNabb's remarks but I couldn't find anything about them elsewhere. McNabb's comments obviously reflect what he perceived as happening to him. But, from things I've read in last 2 years, his teammates felt he got special treatment while they held accountable for their mistakes. Also have a sense that his ego is large but also fragile so his relationship with some other teammates suffered. When he and TO had problems, his teammates made clear that they saw TO as a good teammate but certainly not many of them publicly stode up for McNabb.

Don't forget how well the Eagles rallied around Garcia after McNabb got hurt and they went on to win the NFC East. Yet once the season was over and Garcia making it clear he wanted to remain with the Eagles as the backup QB, the Eagles let Garcia go. The impression remained that McNabb couldn't deal with a quality backup whom he perceived as a threat.

Something else I want to mention. A few weeks ago the media speculated on whether TO was about to explode since he hadn't been getting enough balls. A part of that was the statement that TO saw himself as in charge of Romo's development and since Cowboys such a young team, they wouldn't be able to deal with a TO explosion.

I believe the exact opposite to be true. From here in Florida, I had the view that neither Garcia's teammates nor McNabb's teammates stood up publicly for their QB. In fact there was one reported incident in Philly where TO dared the team to take him on, but no one (except a retired Eagle player employed by the team as a kind of unofficial ambassador) did.

Perhaps I'm naive but, although the Cowboy players have said that TO is a great guy/good teammate, if TO were to turn on Romo, there's no doubt in my mind that this team immediately responds & stands with Romo. TO would get nowhere with such an action and I frankly think he fully aware of how the team feels about Romo unlike the situation in Philly between McNabb & his teammates.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Romo has managed TO - Look at TO's record - he kills QB's

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
No offense McDoofus, but if you have friends BEFORE you were rich, they typically stay your friends even AFTER you become rich. It's those who want to become your friends AFTER you become rich that you have to worry about.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
theogt;1741901 said:
Tony was already making about $1 million over these last two seasons ('06 and '07). If he's going to lose friends over being rich, he probably already lost them.

Plain and simple this is McNabb trying to start some **** between Romo and TO. There is no doubt in my mind. McNabb wants TO to do to Tony what TO did to him so badly he can taste it.

McNabb said:
"One thing that he'll begin to find out is people who were some of your closest friends and tight friends, they'll begin to fade away from him," McNabb said. "I guess they'll be upset that you've got all that money and they weren’t able to get their money."

It really doesn't make sense anyway. Not very many people teammates get upset because their QB make too much money.

McNabb is stirring up trouble and playing his "poor little me" act.

Jay-D

Reaction score
McNabb is a jerk. Plain and simple.

He acts like a jerk. He talks like a jerk.

And it all goes back to his upbringing. His mother is even a jerk.

When it's all said and done, this will be a good part of the reason McNabb will never win the big one. Nobody will ever really lay it on the line for him.....because he's a fraud. Karma is a biznatch.

fortdick

Reaction score
Well, at least Romo won't have to deal with all the criticism because he is white....er, brown, er....not McNabb.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Unlike before.... TO needs many "igniters".... we all know that....

Before you could set TO off with on event or two.....

McNabb knows that if he puts something out there that there is a chance the media and/or some other player may do the say

All this to try and get TO to explode on our team.

For McNabb its
  1. Jealousy
  2. Envy
  3. He will soon have nothing left to be hopeful for other than a Cowboys demise.
The guy should wear a tutu he cries so much

189118708_638806c235.jpg

fortdick;1742458 said:
Well, at least Romo won't have to deal with all the criticism because he is white....er, brown, er....not McNabb.

didnt you hear.... mexican QB's are treated differently

fortdick

Reaction score
YoMick;1742459 said:
didnt you hear.... mexican QB's are treated differently

Yeah, they are given lots of money and hit the hot babes. It is tuff to be a mexican QB in the nFL!

:D

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
fortdick;1742467 said:
Yeah, they are given lots of money and hit the hot babes. It is tuff to be a mexican QB in the nFL!

:D

What do aztecans and miyans know about playing football? :lmao:
History is against them.