Duane

Reaction score
How sad. :lmao:

==========================================================
McNair to fans: need you
Texans owner feels their pain, seeks their support in rocking Reliant
By MEGAN MANFULL
Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

Texans owner Bob McNair has one message for the fans: Hate the Texans. Love the Texans. Just don't leave them.

Critics of the team have been everywhere from radio talk shows to letters in the newspaper. Some have shown up Sundays and booed. Others have stayed home, leaving their seats empty to prove a point.

McNair understands their frustration. He can relate. That's why he sought out the media before practice Wednesday to send a message to the fans before the Texans play at home this weekend.

"They are frustrated just like we are," McNair said. "I'd really be worried if we didn't hear from them. If we didn't hear from them, we've lost them. The fact that we hear from them means they care. And they care like we do. It's only when they are silent that we have a problem."

McNair especially wants to hear some noise from the fans at noon Sunday at Reliant Stadium as the Texans (0-5) attempt a major upset of the Indianapolis Colts (6-0). The last time a winless team defeated an undefeated team after five weeks was in 1965, according to the Elias Sports Bureau. That year, the Boston Patriots (0-6-1) beat the 5-0-2 San Diego Chargers 22-6.

"We're playing the best team in the league and we're going to have to play inspired ball to win, but that's what we expect to do," McNair said. "We expect to go out and play in an inspired way, and we need our fans to be out there helping us as they have. We need an enthusiastic crowd. The roof will be closed so there will be a lot of noise.

"It really invigorates our players. It inspires our players. And this is a time that we need to step up and say this is our team, we're with you and we're going to be there to do everything we can to try to contribute to a win. I appreciate what the fans have done in the past, and I just ask that they continue to show that support."

The Texans have struggled to create a home-field advantage this season. In their home opener, the Texans left the roof open as temperatures topped 100 degrees in the stands. At least half of the fans left at halftime of the 27-7 loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers.

The second home game coincided with the Astros' 18-inning thriller against the Atlanta Braves in the National League Division Series. The scattered fans who stayed until the end chanted, "Let's go, Astros!" except when they took breaks to boo the Texans.

McNair is aware the product on the field is playing well below expectations. He wasn't proud of Sunday's 42-10 loss in Seattle.

McNair said he accepts blame for the 0-5 start and is going to do all he can to turn around a franchise waiting for its first winning season. He wants the fans to be there to witness the change.

"I'm the CEO of this organization, and I'm responsible for the results," McNair said. "There's absolutely no question about that. And I'll do whatever it takes to get this thing turned around. I've got that same commitment from our coaches, and I'm sure we've got that same commitment from our players. No one is satisfied with this. This is totally unsatisfactory and everyone is just going to work harder.

"It just boils down to everyone executing and doing their job. There's no great mystery. We just haven't been executing. We've got to go out and do our jobs. And when we do, the results will be better."

cowboys#1

Finish!
Reaction score
dam the texans are in a freefall!!
ayt least when the cowboys were losing the fans still stayed with them.
they should have kept the oiler name because i believe the new team bandwagon days are over with. houston = oilers always and forever!
maybe mcnair should ask the nfl if he could change the name to the oilers again. houston texans just doesnt sound right.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
cowboys#1 said:
dam the texans are in a freefall!!
ayt least when the cowboys were losing the fans still stayed with them.
they should have kept the oiler name because i believe the new team bandwagon days are over with. houston = oilers always and forever!
maybe mcnair should ask the nfl if he could change the name to the oilers again. houston texans just doesnt sound right.
Bud Adams owns the rights to the name Oilers. That's why they were the TN Oilers for a couple of years after the move.