McNair to Jets in 2006?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
[font=arial,] McNair latest to be linked to the Jets[/font]
[font=arial,]New York Daily News reporter Rich Cimini reports today that with New York Jets quarterback Chad Pennington’s future in doubt, there is another name which might be thrown into the mix for the 2006 season.[/font]

[font=arial,]It is Tennessee Titans quarterback Steve McNair. McNair has a $50 million contract bonus which will either cause him to be cut or his contract renegotiated. With that in mind, the Titans might opt to go with backup Billy Volek or possibly be in the running to draft USC quarterback Matt Leinart. McNair played for Jets’ offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger in Tennessee and knows Heimerdinger’s offense.[/font]

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am curious as to why someone would think that the Jets would want to replace an oft injured QB with another oft Injured QB?

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
I am curious as to why someone would think that the Jets would want to replace an oft injured QB with another oft Injured QB?

I oft think the same thing about my oft injured QB.:rolleyes:

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
I think the 50 million is a typo. It's probably 5 million. NO way in hell would anyone get a 50 million dollar roster bonus. That alone would take up more then half the team's salary for that year as roster bonuses aren't spread out over the length of the contract, they count for that year alone.

Back loaded contracts has nothing to do with a roster bonus. Back loaded contracts means the players salary is higher at the end of the contract then it is at the start of the contract. A roster bonus is something entirely different.

Tricked

Fascinated
Reaction score
Rack said:
I think the 50 million is a typo. It's probably 5 million. NO way in hell would anyone get a 50 million dollar roster bonus. That alone would take up more then half the team's salary for that year as roster bonuses aren't spread out over the length of the contract, they count for that year alone.
yeah, i thought it HAD to of been a typo, cause wow, a 50 million bonus is unreal for even todays quarterbacks outrageous contracts

tnfan

Reaction score
Nope. It is not a misprint. As jman said it is very backloaded (they restructured his contract, and put most of the bonus into that roster bonus to save on the cap). He will never get it obviously, and was never expected to get it.

Also, I don't think he is going anywhere. If he doesn't play for TN next year, I think it will be because he retires.

joseephuss

Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/8739142

Financial note: Steve McNair's contract calls for a stunning $50 million bonus in 2006. This would be the largest single payment in team sports history and, as a "roster" bonus, all accounting charges would accrue immediately in 2006, sinking the Titans salary cap to the bottom of the Marianas Trench. Future huge payments that never actually occur are a standard NFL accounting fiction; obviously there is no way McNair will receive all this money. The question is, will he receive any of it?