Merriman?

Reaction score
They are both excellent athletes, or we wouldn't have been torn between who to take. For my money, we got the right guy! I jumped up & down when it happened, yelling, "No, not Ware....Merriman!!". I even told my wife what a dumb mistake the Cowboys just made...haha. They are really close right now, but I have a feeling Merriman is about where he is going to be, where Ware is just tapping the surface.

Tobal

Reaction score
I think we needed that pure edge rush so badly that we passed on a more physical guy, I'm sure that was hard to do (especially for Parcells), but I think the scheme needed Ware more.

Sitting Bull

Reaction score
I expected both to be very good and can see why we were rumored to have struggled a little with the decision of whom to pick. I saw Ware debut a spin move a few times today. Granted, it looked a little like a slow-motion hokey-pokey move, but it's a start. By the end of next season, Ware's going to be an unblockable force in the league.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Are we now going to be subject to a "I wish we had drafted Merriman" thread whenever he makes a spectacular play? :rolleyes:

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
gen said:
He is a stud. I love Ware, but he is a stud.
:welcome: to the board.

I think Merriman will be a fine player in this league. Time will tell if he is a stud or not. I do know this, I don't like his attitude or choice of agents.

zagnut

Reaction score
Cogan said:
They are both excellent athletes, or we wouldn't have been torn between who to take. For my money, we got the right guy! I jumped up & down when it happened, yelling, "No, not Ware....Merriman!!". I even told my wife what a dumb mistake the Cowboys just made...haha. They are really close right now, but I have a feeling Merriman is about where he is going to be, where Ware is just tapping the surface.

Well said. I was the same way. I thought Merriman was the easy pick. I'm a UM Terp fan. :) I think Merriman still has a lot of growing to do and feel he'll be a top 5 OLB in the NFL, but Ware has even more upside and gives us the versatility to jump in and out between 3-4 and 4-3. I don't think Merriman would have given that to us. Ware is a unique kind of player.