Miami Dolphins: Mel Kiper and the Dolphins search for a receiver per draftdaddy.com

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Miami Dolphins: Mel Kiper and the Dolphins search for a receiver

by: Mike Berardino February 18th, 2010 | 4:21 PM ESPN’s Mel Kiper Jr. continues to project Alabama inside linebacker Rolando McClain for the Miami Dolphins at No. 12 in this April’s draft, but Kiper also says he believes the Dolphins will look for wide receiver help at some point.

He says this even though the Dolphins drafted receivers in the third (Patrick Turner) and fourth (Brian Hartline) rounds last year. I won’t get you started on Turner again. (All right. Go ahead. I know you can’t help yourselves. )

Kiper has Oklahoma State’s Dez Bryant going to the Broncos at No. 10 as they prepare to move past the distractions of Brandon “The Beast” Marshall.
“I think you certainly need wide receiver help [if you're the Dolphins] and you’ve got to get it at some point,” Kiper said on a national conference call with reporters on Wednesday. “I think they will try to get it in this draft, but at that point I think McClain would be the best option if Bryant’s gone. And even if Bryant’s there, it’s going to be a heck of a discussion, I would think, between those two, even if Bryant was still on the board.”
So let’s say the Dolphins do go for a highly productive linebacker at No. 12, as would seem to make the most sense at this point. Who are some of the names to keep in mind for the Dolphins’ next pick, a second-rounder at No. 43 overall?

Now, this could be where the Dolphins go to get that nose tackle, although it seems unlikely Tennessee’s Dan Williams would drop that far or even Alabama’s Terrence Cody. North Carolina’s Cam Thomas continues to intrigue, and Kiper also mentioned Georgia’s 325-pound Kade Weston, but both of them are more likely to go in the third- or fourth-round range, Kiper said.
Bryant, meanwhile, is the only receiver Kiper sees going in the first 20 picks. In his latest mock draft, he had Georgia Tech’s Demaryius Thomas going 21st to the Bengals, but that was before news broke of Thomas’ broken foot and lengthy recovery period. Kiper also has Arrelious Benn — Vontae Davis’ former teammate at Illinois and Dunbar High — going 25th to the Ravens, but you wonder if the Donte Stallworth signing could change their needs.
Still, that could leave some intriguing options (including a gimpy Thomas) when the Dolphins are back on the clock on Day 2. So which BIG receivers (sorry Golden Tate, Mardy Gilyard, Jordan Shipley and friends) could work their way into that second-round discussion for the Dolphins?

() LSU’s Brandon LaFell (6-2 3/8, 207). Kiper calls him a “borderline” first-rounder, mainly due to a problem with “inconsistent hands.” After living through Ted Ginn Jr.’s problems with the drops last season, can Dolphins fans handle a different version?

() Mike Williams (6-2 1/8, 206), who quit the Syracuse team late in his junior year after a stormy tenure that included a season-long suspension for accusations of cheating on a test and another one-game suspension for violating team rules. “The interview process is going to be big for him,” Kiper said. “He’s a talented kid. Mike Williams has a lot of ability. It wouldn’t shock me if he went in the second or third round.” As an aside, I briefly met Williams at the Senior Bowl and was impressed with the way he made eye contact and appeared confident but not overly so. I think he’ll give teams the answers they’re looking for at the Combine next week.

() Thomas. Averaged 25 yards a catch for a highly run-oriented Yellow Jacket attack. Speaking before he knew of Thomas’ injury, Kiper said Thomas (6-3, 225) is “big, physical and his speed is going to amaze people after he runs. I think he’s going to be a hot guy after the Combine. … He has huge hands. Big kid who can run. People are sleeping on Demaryius Thomas.”
() Benn (6-1 5/8, 221): A nagging ankle injury caused his numbers to drop precipitously in 2009, as did the erratic throwing of Illini QB Juice Williams. But Kiper still likes him. “As big and athletic as he is, I think he’s a first-round draft choice.” Might take a setback with the ankle or a bad Combine to drop him into the Dolphins’ second-round radar.

() Minnesota’s Eric Decker (6-3 1/8, 207): Coming off a hip injury, Kiper says Decker will likely drop from a spot in the second round to the third or fourth rounds. He also starts in center field for the Gophers baseball team. “An outstanding football player,” Kiper said. “It’s a shame he had the injury. I still think he’s going to play in the NFL and have a heck of a career in the NFL.”
I know, I know, we didn’t mention Riley Cooper, who played on Tony Sparano’s South squad in Mobile, or several other draftable names. Just don’t see them sneaking into the second round at this point.
Who else did I leave out? And of the above names, which one would you feel most comfortable calling with the 43rd overall pick?