Michael Gehlken Who is Joe Whitt Jr. & His Background: Cowboys' in-house favorite to replace D Quinn

rocknrobcowboy

Reaction score
Can't Post DMN Link..CowboyZone Policy.
Anyway From Dallas Morning News By Michael Gehlken Feb 1, 2024

FRISCO — Joe Whitt Jr. has spent 14 years coaching on a Mike McCarthy-led staff.

His 15th could feature a more prominent position.

In a move the Cowboys reluctantly expected, defensive coordinator Dan Quinn is leaving for a head coach job, accepting the Washington Commanders’ position on Thursday. McCarthy has internal and external candidates for a replacement. Whitt is expected to be the top in-house option and overall favorite, a person familiar with the situation told The Dallas Morning News.

Whitt first joined McCarthy’s staff in 2008 as a Green Bay Packers defensive quality control coach. That afforded McCarthy a first-hand view of his development, from quality control to cornerbacks coach to defensive pass game coordinator. Al Harris, the Cowboys’ defensive backs coach, is among the players Whitt coached in Green Bay, the two overlapping from 2008-10.

Whitt arrived in Dallas at the same time Quinn did, both coming from the Atlanta Falcons in 2021. He worked as the Cowboys’ secondary coach and defensive pass game coordinator the past three years.

Just as McCarthy’s return offered the Cowboys continuity, a promotion for Whitt would do the same.

He has experience calling plays in certain spots over the years as well as addressing the entire defense and team in a group meeting environment. In October, Whitt met with Cowboys reporters during the bye week and acknowledged having a different temperament than Quinn, whom television broadcasts often capture as fiery during certain game developments.

“He is really emotional,” Whitt said in October. “That is who he is. He’s such a good person from that standpoint. I am always thinking about the next play. Even when we intercepted one for the touchdown and everyone is going crazy, my mindset is, ‘OK, which players are tired? Who do we need to switch out? Who is on kickoff team? [DaRon] Bland, who intercepted that touchdown, is on kickoff team. Hey, tell Bones [special teams coordinator John Fassel] to pull him off kickoff team because he needs a blow.’

“That’s where my mind instantly goes. I’ll get excited after we get the win. But you need coaches to get excited, especially the coaches on the field because that’s the energy bus that keeps those guys going. That’s why I do better in the box because I’m constantly thinking of what’s happening next, what are we going to get to next.”

Whitt could be next.

Traditionally, McCarthy has entrusted his defensive coordinator responsibilities to a former NFL head coach. Ex-Los Angeles Chargers coach Brandon Staley, ex-Washington Commanders coach Ron Rivera and former Tennessee Titans coach Matt Vrabel are some names from the latest coach-firing wave.

Whitt appears to have the upper hand in such considerations.

Whoever replaces Quinn will oversee a run defense that must improve. The Cowboys are coming off a playoff loss in which Packers running back Aaron Jones totaled 21 carries for 118 yards and three touchdowns. The Arizona Cardinals in Week 3 and Buffalo Bills in Week 14 each surpassed 200 rushing yards in a Dallas loss.

Aven8

Reaction score
I know nothing about him outside of being here. What type of D does he run? Etc. It’s very risky to be putting him out there green in what could be Mike’s final season

HanD

Reaction score
Quinn wants Whitt in Washington he will have to make a choice
doesn't dal have to sign off on whitt or harris leaving if they have contracts? nm they changed the rule again a couple years ago.

bigE79

Reaction score
I think he stays. Hes been with Mike for 10+ years and will follow him next year if he is fired

i also believe Whitt prefers the 3-4 zone defense which would be amazing.
And if he does,the passing of drafting Tj watts hurts even more.

Kwyn

Reaction score
I’m actually fine with this I guess. I don’t anticipate McCarthy getting an extension so promoting someone who will go with him when he goes makes sense.

Cowfan75Lives

Reaction score
I know nothing about him outside of being here. What type of D does he run? Etc. It’s very risky to be putting him out there green in what could be Mike’s final season
In house hire comfortable is all Jerry cares about.

Bigdog

Reaction score
I have mentioned this before but if it is not Whitt than another person that I read an article on who would be good is the Assistant HC/ defensive line coach from the Ravens.

ICP

Reaction score
Promote from within, and still nobody is held accountable as Jerry promised after the GB embarrassment

Gambit

Reaction score
Comes from Don Capers 3-4 background