Michael Irvin:The Cowboys offense is built for Terrell Owens

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
On his radio show, his co-host Kevin Kylie pressed him for answers about Terrell Owens' interview with Deion Sanders.

He states that the offensse the Cowboys employ is built for Terrell Owens

He then states:

The question for the Cowboys Offensive staff is "Can we establish a sound running game and somebody else besides Terrell Owens"

To continue, he says Terrell Owens will get his numbers if he continues to be doubled teamed and the Cowboys start to win.

He explains this by saying that right now, teams think doubling Terrell Owens is working, so they will continue to do employ this strategy. If the Cowboys start winning, then this blue print to double Terrell Owens will be scrapped.

Givincer

Reaction score
What Owens said is indefensible.

Terrell Owens could very well be the second best receiver on this team right now, and he's speaking out due to lack of use. After the team sacrificed yards and plays to literally force the ball to him, he complains about not getting enough opportunities. On top of it, after a game we won. It's flat stupid.

I don't think our offense is "built for Owens." Our offense is built for the purpose of putting up a lot of points. Owens is not the end, he's a means. He needs to realize that, and so does Irvin.

dadymat

I'm kind of a Big Deal
Reaction score
I love me some TO....but he has been awful this season...and its no ones fault but his own...he can have the "Brad Johnson pass"...during those games but even with Romo hes dropping balls...getting jammed up and man handled at the line...even when they move him around he drops alot of the passes thrown his way....all the gadget plays running him out of backfield are useless ...he hasnt been getting the YAC either...i think he may be on the decline and he cant except it.....glad we got RW11 to ease this the pressure on him

slick325

Reaction score
Michael is right. This is only the 2nd game with Romo back and RW11 starting outside. Win these next two ball games and the last four defenses will have to play Dallas differently. Be patient 81 your numbers will start to come when it counts...December and the postseason.

DABOYZ

Reaction score
At this point TO needs to take a seat in the back of the bus and let Tony, RW, JW, and MBIII do what needs to be done to get this bus to the Superbowl. The ring will come but it won't be because of TO being here.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Givincer;2433357 said:
What Owens said is indefensible.

Terrell Owens could very well be the second best receiver on this team right now, and he's speaking out due to lack of use. After the team sacrificed yards and plays to literally force the ball to him, he complains about not getting enough opportunities. On top of it, after a game we won. It's flat stupid.

I don't think our offense is "built for Owens." Our offense is built for the purpose of putting up a lot of points. Owens is not the end, he's a means. He needs to realize that, and so does Irvin.

It is hard to argue against this. OTOH who listens to TO. Just throw the ball to him on plays that are good for him and the team. Stop the reverses and throw slants and then more slants off of motion.

slick325;2433443 said:
Michael is right. This is only the 2nd game with Romo back and RW11 starting outside. Win these next two ball games and the last four defenses will have to play Dallas differently. Be patient 81 your numbers will start to come when it counts...December and the postseason.

You got it. Let them double team TO, stop forcing it to him and make them pay for using extra resources to stop him. And tell him if he'll decoy for another game or so then the defenses will be looking at stopping others and his game will skyrocket.

cmacch

Reaction score
If T.O. wants the ball, he should wipe the popcorn butter off his fingers so he can ACTUALLY CATCH IT FOR ONCE!

dadymat

I'm kind of a Big Deal
Reaction score
T.O.----" Hey Redball....throw me the ball on this next down..."

Red----" we just threw it to you twice in a row"

T.O.---"yeah i know ,but i dropped those"

BigD

Got 5? We do!
Reaction score
cmacch;2433486 said:
If T.O. wants the ball, he should wipe the popcorn butter off his fingers so he can ACTUALLY CATCH IT FOR ONCE!

Exactly, and maybe even break a tackle or two once he gets the ball, and how about being PHYSICAL off the line of scrimmage. TO is huge but he plays like he has the physic of a Santana Moss. Quit being a little baby and make a play when you get the ball.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
I'm sick of hearing about Owens. maybe he should go talk to Garrett or do a better job getting open than whining about it.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
dadymat;2433609 said:
T.O.----" Hey Redball....throw me the ball on this next down..."

Red----" we just threw it to you twice in a row"

T.O.---"yeah i know ,but i dropped those"

LOL! Even though I like the guy I had to laugh at this.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Micheal Irvin IS a COWBOY....Deion is NOT.....Deion is interested in making HIMSLEF look good....Micheal loves the Cowboys...and anything that prevents Dallas from winning upsets him. This is not the first time Irvin has been STUNNED by TOs antics...he has stood up for him...stuck by him...praised him.....remember Mike has dumped on KeyShawn AND Terry Glenn....so I would assume Mike is hurt that TO would do something that would distract the Cowboys. The one thing you could always say about Mike, he wanted to WIN. And that is what he did. TO does not want to win if he cannot LOOK GOOD in the proccess.

Givincer

Reaction score
bbailey423;2433752 said:
Micheal Irvin IS a COWBOY....Deion is NOT.....Deion is interested in making HIMSLEF look good....Micheal loves the Cowboys...and anything that prevents Dallas from winning upsets him. This is not the first time Irvin has been STUNNED by TOs antics...he has stood up for him...stuck by him...praised him.....remember Mike has dumped on KeyShawn AND Terry Glenn....so I would assume Mike is hurt that TO would do something that would distract the Cowboys. The one thing you could always say about Mike, he wanted to WIN. And that is what he did. TO does not want to win if he cannot LOOK GOOD in the proccess.

?? He defended Owens? Completely?

As far as I can tell from the original post anyway.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Givincer;2433795 said:
?? He defended Owens? Completely?

As far as I can tell from the original post anyway.

It seems odd that you think he defended him when Owens is telling people that the system he is in is holding him back and Irvin is saying that this system was built for Owens.

Givincer

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2433833 said:
It seems odd that you think he defended him when Owens is telling people that the system he is in is holding him back and Irvin is saying that this system was built for Owens.

I didn't see Irvin say "Owens shouldn't be doing this" at all though, that's for sure.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I don't think you have to say it when you're opinion is in the direct opposite of what Owens is saying.

If Owens is out there saying this system isn't for him and is holding him back and Irvin says "This system was built for him" that's pretty much saying that he doesn't agree with Owens on this. I think that's pretty black and white.

stiletto

Reaction score
TO is a "DROP MACHINE". Why does he automatically get ultimate benefit of the doubt? What does he do to make his QB trust him in a key situation? He seems to drop pretty important passes over the last couple years. He's hardly reliable. Hopefully Roy will be the go to guy on big 3rd down plays. TO doesn't deserve the attention he gets anymore. Hate to break it to him, but he's becoming an OLD man really quick. His little HGH supplier will not be able to ultimately overcome Ms. Mother Nature but for so long. The guy is on the other side of 30 now. What's he thinking??

Givincer

Reaction score
Basically, he explained how Owens will eventually get more catches, when the issue isn't how many catches Owens is getting, it's Owens' speaking out in the first place.

You're right, he did indirectly denounce it. But if we have 315 yards of offense like we did last week, and win, Owens should not care how many catches he got.

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
TO is a second WR now. Things are only gonna get better for him now that Romo is back. This offense is gonna start rolling pending on the pinkie. This offense is not built for Owens. It is built for Romo. Owens just needs to start catching the ball. He is killing himself.