Michael Irvin's Signature Game?

BARRYRAY

Reaction score
My favorite moment was actually the pre-game for the last Super Bowl when Michael Buffer did the Let's get Ready to Ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuumble and he came out and did this karate kind of moves and I knew we had these guys, we were the best team that year in our best road stadium---Sun Devil stadium in Arizona, that game will be the one I remember, we owned that place that day. I will also never forget the wonderful kind hearted citizens of Phileadelphia who boooed him on the gourney as he left on a stretcher, if you love the Cowboys you got to hate the Eagles, we soooooooo owe them a couple of pastings...

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
JakeCamp12 said:
1994 in the Championship loss to the 49ers - 12 catches 192 yds 2 TD's...and if I remember right they singled up Deion on Harper and doubled Irvin most of that game. But to me, as has been mentioned, that was more Troy's signature game as he had what I consider his finest performance in that heartbreaking loss.

To me this game summed up Irvin's career. He was the true warrior of the team, never stop playing hard and fight until the end. Who can forget him caked in that tar they called a field in SF? Fighting till the very end, even getting Deion to interfere with him and not getting it called.

Bingo!! We have a winner!!!

Even though it was one of our most bitter defeats Irvin had, imo, his finest game. What a warrior!! He just kept fighting and fighting even though we were in a 21 point hole early on.

The non-call on Deion was the critical play of the game because we had fought back and needed just a little bit more to pull out one of the greatest comebacks ever!

I was so proud of Irvin after that game, even though we came up short.

kingwhicker

BCRSA
Reaction score
1992 Cardinals at Texas Stadium, and 1993 reg. season vs. 49ers at Texas Stadium- he made the cover of SI after that one.

dfense

Reaction score
You nailed three of the games I thought of. The skins his rookie year, the cardinals and the San Fran Championship game when he lit up deion.

Deacon Moss

Reaction score
dude, i'm still having a hard time with that witten clip...no footage - just music!
JDSmith said:
Actually none of them are divx anymore. I converted everything to wmv for convenience.

Ashwynn

Reaction score
The thing about Irvin was he was so consistent. I cant remember many games he was just falt out a non-factor. Even if he was not receiving, he was a good blocker downfield for Emmitt. He was the emotion and fire of our O back then. He did not need to have a good game to make others around him better. When we needed a lift, he would lift his game, likethat Commander game, (awesome clip btw, thanks).

He was the best all around receiver of that era, Rice might have been better receiving, Moss better at big plays, but nobody embodied the heart and soul of his team and did little off the ball things that dont show up in stat sheets more then Irvin.

The reason he does not have a signature game maybe because he played at such a high level all the time for so long that they are all signature games. Thats his signature. While other recievers blazed out with in a year or lit up once in awhile, It was just another day at the office to be superman without the cape.

PS. The best receiver comment is just my opinion. Not knocking your opinion.

billyrags

Reaction score
This is tough, but the one game I keep thinking about is when he won the Pro Bowl MVP. He was absolutely dominate. I knew he was great, but I left that game knowing there was no one else better in the NFL.