Mick Shots: Going Up, Going Down Or Staying Put

morasp

Reaction score
  • Backed Into Corner: As in cornerback, since at this point the Cowboys are sort of in the dark on the future availability of cornerback Kelvin Joseph, and to cover themselves just might need to use a second-day pick on a cornerback. Who knows at this point Joseph's fate since back on March 18 he's been identified as being in a car with the two men who killed a man in a drive-by shooting in Dallas? And last year's second-round pick didn't talk to police until April 15. Joseph still can be in a heap of trouble. After their top three corners, Trevon Diggs, Anthony Brown and Jourdan Lewis, if Joseph is unavailable, all that's left at the position at this point would be Nahshon Wright, last year a little-used third-round pick, second-year free agent pickup from last year Kyron Brown, who spent all but one game on the practice squad, and of course special teams ace C.J. Goodwin. Worse is a couple of players drafted after the Cowboys selected Joseph with the 12th pick in the second round, including undersized cornerback Asante Samuel Jr., wide receiver Rondale Moore, defensive end Azeez Ojulari, nickel linebacker Jeramiah Owusu-Koramoah, tight end Pat Freiermuth, linebacker Nick Bolton and center Creed Humphrey.
  • Wise Man: This Dalton Schultz didn't go to Stanford for nothing. Sharp guy. When asked about the possibility of turning his $10.9 million franchise tag into a long-term deal before the July 15 deadline, the Cowboys starting tight end said, "I want to work out a long-term deal and I think they do, too. I hope we can get that done." That helps him, since a deal will consist of up-front money he would receive immediately, and that's money the Cowboys can spread over the life of the contract to help with their salary cap situation this coming season. And then there was this, and I first heard a similar statement, like, 30 years ago from Michael Irvin, who said of working with quarterback Troy Aikman in the offseason, "If Troy is throwing, I'm going." So, when Dalton was asked if he's been working out with Dak Prescott on their own already, he said he told Dak, "Anytime you're throwing, I'll be there at the drop of a hat." Oh, yeah.
Mick Shots: Going Up, Going Down Or Staying Put (dallascowboys.com)