Mick Shots: on your mark, get set, let's camp out

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/mick-shots-on-your-mark-get-set-let-s-camp-out

Mickey's opening TC article.

Not a lot of info on the team but some interesting things also.

From Tyler Smith:
"Being in the O-Line room, being around the great guys I have, being around Zack, Tyron (Smith), Jason Peters, all those guys, they imparted on me a lot of knowledge," Tyler said as one of the two chosen players to speak once the buses arrived from LAX here at the training camp site on Tuesday. "And it's my job to pass that knowledge on and continue to make sure our standard of our room is held, you know, long after I'm gone, and especially while I'm here."

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe being a Tyler is the key to drafting, since the Cowboys have hit with Tyler Smith, had hit with Tyler Biadasz
Fluff piece but this caught my attention. Did the Cowboys really 'hit' with Biadasz?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
9cf50240-6e21-427e-9d9f-500c2e9edf45_text.gif

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
From the article:

And we start, Camping Out 2024 here at the River Ridge Sports Complex, where the temps hovered around 60 degrees this morning, and by noon has warmed up to 71.
Once upon a time in the NFL, training camps beat players into the steel necessary to be the best. Heat was a tool for tempering their preparation.

Nowadays, training camp spits out brass. Or perhaps iron if fate is kind.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1st 4 practices are basically OTA type stuff. So he says CeeDee not being there does not mean much. Unless he means just practice wise.
Well, I think it does, he needs to be with the team.

1st padded practice not until Tuesday. How many are they allowed now, was 16 padded I think. Not sure if decreased or not. We know it has not been increased.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Day 3 draft pick that started 3+ years of games.
Average center.
Signed a decent 2nd contract deal.

Definitely a hit. Not a stud or core player, but if you can get 3+ years of reliable starts out of day 3 player, that's a hit.
Hmmm. Ok let's start with his second contract is with a different team. Was he "reliable" as a Cowboy? In 4 years he continuously got pushed back into Dak and wasn't a difference maker in the run game. He started because he was the best center on the team. Cowboys didn't make any attempt to keep him when his rookie deal was up. I agree he was average. Average doesn't mean "hit" at all.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Hmmm. Ok let's start with his second contract is with a different team. Was he "reliable" as a Cowboy? In 4 years he continuously got pushed back into Dak and wasn't a difference maker in the run game. He started because he was the best center on the team. Cowboys didn't make any attempt to keep him when his rookie deal was up. I agree he was average. Average doesn't mean "hit" at all.
4th round pick (146 overall) it's a hit.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/mick-shots-on-your-mark-get-set-let-s-camp-out

Mickey's opening TC article.

Not a lot of info on the team but some interesting things also.

From Tyler Smith:
"Being in the O-Line room, being around the great guys I have, being around Zack, Tyron (Smith), Jason Peters, all those guys, they imparted on me a lot of knowledge," Tyler said as one of the two chosen players to speak once the buses arrived from LAX here at the training camp site on Tuesday. "And it's my job to pass that knowledge on and continue to make sure our standard of our room is held, you know, long after I'm gone, and especially while I'm here."
Yeah that all sounds good until he's holding out

John813

Reaction score

If he was a free agent still, that would be one thing. He was signed on the 1st/2nd day of free agency. He was in demand.
He was like Connor Williams, struggling at times vs the power rushers, but still was/is a starter in the NFL.
We let Connor Williams walk, and he turned out to be a very good center for Miami.
Dallas does at times allow some to win positions without a legit battle, but if he was as bad as you think he was they would of made center a higher priority before his contract ran out.

We have some 3rd round picks on the team that can't even dress, or got lapped by players with less experience.
there's day 3 picks on teams that never see the field.

When discussing a hit or a good pick, the round or overall pick comes into play. He was the 146th player selected in his draft class. If he was picked in the 1st round, or 16th overall, he's not a bust but a disappointment in that you expect an impact OL.
At 146, the fact that he could start, at an average level, PFF backs this up, means to me he was a hit. Not every draft pick needs to be a legit probowler, to be a hit. Tyler was an alternate(1st) probowl center in 2022-23
He was also injury free for the most part. Missing only 2 games to injury the past two seasons.

Agree to disagree.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
If he was a free agent still, that would be one thing. He was signed on the 1st/2nd day of free agency. He was in demand.
He was like Connor Williams, struggling at times vs the power rushers, but still was/is a starter in the NFL.
We let Connor Williams walk, and he turned out to be a very good center for Miami.
Dallas does at times allow some to win positions without a legit battle, but if he was as bad as you think he was they would of made center a higher priority before his contract ran out.

We have some 3rd round picks on the team that can't even dress, or got lapped by players with less experience.
there's day 3 picks on teams that never see the field.

When discussing a hit or a good pick, the round or overall pick comes into play. He was the 146th player selected in his draft class. If he was picked in the 1st round, or 16th overall, he's not a bust but a disappointment in that you expect an impact OL.
At 146, the fact that he could start, at an average level, PFF backs this up, means to me he was a hit. Not every draft pick needs to be a legit probowler, to be a hit. Tyler was an alternate(1st) probowl center in 2022-23
He was also injury free for the most part. Missing only 2 games to injury the past two seasons.

Agree to disagree.
Absolutely. A 4th round pick that plays in 61 games, makes a pro bowl (even as an alternate), and is going to net you a comp pick next year is a total hit. This team is basically built on that exact model of hitting on mid round picks.

CCBoy

Reaction score
:starspin:Get the salt tablets out...
Injuries and hold outs prematurely affect youthfull development. Top level competitions are needed to learn and grow at the professional level. Not trying out looking like a pro now and really deserving...dreaming on money.