Mickey: Still time for Sam Williams to Step Up

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/spagnola-still-time-for-sam-to-become-the-man

Spagnola, saying his pick is for Sam Williams to step up.

He said Mazi did not do anyhting to show he is on the verge to step up. He discounted Tolbert and Brooks as the 3rd WR. And explained why going back to when they had Irvin and Martin as #1 and #2. Cory Fleming being #3, with only 6 receptions. So was saying how important is that #3. However there are other reasons for that.

So he is picking Sam Williams as being on the verge to step up. And makes some good points as to why.

"Sam had an OK Season 2 in the NFL, finishing third on the team with 4½ sacks, sixth with 17 pressures but just 16th with 20 total tackles. More telling, Williams only earned 28.3 percent of the defensive snaps, ranking eighth on the defensive line and 16th on the entire defense. Played in all 17 games, but no starts. Well, did tie for the team lead with four special teams tackles and one blocked kick."

He does need some better discipline to eliminate some mental mistakes on the penalties. Maybe this is where Zimmer can help.

maryquality

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/spagnola-still-time-for-sam-to-become-the-man

He said Mazi did not do anyhting to show he is on the verge to step up. He discounted Tolbert and Brooks as the 3rd WR. And explained why going back to when they had Irvin and Martin as #1 and #2. Cory Fleming being #3, with only 6 receptions. So was saying how important is that #3. However there are other reasons for that.

So he is picking Sam Williams as being on the verge to step up. And makes some good points as to why.

"Sam had an OK Season 2 in the NFL, finishing third on the team with 4½ sacks, sixth with 17 pressures but just 16th with 20 total tackles. More telling, Williams only earned 28.3 percent of the defensive snaps, ranking eighth on the defensive line and 16th on the entire defense. Played in all 17 games, but no starts. Well, did tie for the team lead with four special teams tackles and one blocked kick."

He does need some better discipline to eliminate some mental mistakes on the penalties. Maybe this is where Zimmer can help.
Yeah, this was the most frustrating to me about Williams. He made such boneheaded penalties at the most inopportune times!! Would love to see that decrease!!

fivetwos

Reaction score
Yeah, this was the most frustrating to me about Williams. He made such boneheaded penalties at the most inopportune times!! Would love to see that decrease!!
Once he learns about where the line of scrimmage is and the rules thereof, the possibilities are endless!

Meanwhile I hope they remove him from punt rush duties. 4th and 15 with a lead and he treats the punter as if he is a threat to his family.

They probably will, as he will likely get more DE snaps, but unless he finds some discipline and situational awareness, I expect to see several roughing the passer flags that extend drives and contribute to losing games.

Speaking of general awareness, I wonder how that GB game victory party went.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Maybe the looming decision on whether he’s worth another contract will motivate him this year. I shouldn’t assume that’s his only motivation but if it turns out to help the Cowboys, so be it.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
lol there are a lot more than sam williams that needs to step up if they dont win a playoff game or not make the playoffs there will a lot of different in the cowboys next year and the two that need to go will still be the same so around and around the wheel goes

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

Dan Quinn is a joke!

He got rid of all size at DT, and he never built up Sam Williams. Thankfully, we now have Zimmer. He should be able to improve both.

shabazz

Reaction score

Aside from some of the mental mistakes people have mentioned I'd like to see him do a better job of slipping blocks and he's been inconsistent at setting the edge when our opponents run the ball, but he has alot of potential

Let's see during the course of the season if Zimmer can help him Improve the details of his game. I sure hope so.

blueblood70

Reaction score
You do realize that in those situations that we're Speaking of it's one we're going out there looking for a big play because we need something to happen we need some momentum and I think he's got that in the back of his head the dude has such a high motor he doesn't know when to shut it off and I love that about him I think he's one of the most talented players on our team pure raw talent and he also gives you it is all the demand is not out there loafing he's going 100% on every play and if we could find a coach to just take 10% of that away you gotta get in his head hey we want you to make the play but try to avoid the late hit I can get over what he's done actually because I think he's doing it at full speed like you're talk you're gonna make a mistake ask bill Parcells ask my high school football coach do it 110%..

Like I said I believe he's one of the most talented players on our team both athletically the way he plays hard I mean this dude is basically Micah Parsons in my opinion he just needs to know when to dial it back and yes I just said that I think he has the same athleticism and talent that first step and the speed to get to the guy he just needs to know how to pull back at times..

I'd rather try to teach a guy to pull back then to teach him how to play like that giving it your all out on the field at full speed so I don't think it's a bigger problem as people think the man just needs to mature I think he's better than Randy Gregory but he's having Randy Gregory issues so I know there's a little parallel there...

75boyz

Reaction score
He's got a good get off no doubt. Has made a few judgment errors at costly times to offset his potential as an effective edge.

Needs consistency and to eliminate bone head decisions. On and off the field for that matter.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
You do realize that in those situations that we're Speaking of it's one we're going out there looking for a big play because we need something to happen we need some momentum and I think he's got that in the back of his head the dude has such a high motor he doesn't know when to shut it off and I love that about him I think he's one of the most talented players on our team pure raw talent and he also gives you it is all the demand is not out there loafing he's going 100% on every play and if we could find a coach to just take 10% of that away you gotta get in his head hey we want you to make the play but try to avoid the late hit I can get over what he's done actually because I think he's doing it at full speed like you're talk you're gonna make a mistake ask bill Parcells ask my high school football coach do it 110%..

Like I said I believe he's one of the most talented players on our team both athletically the way he plays hard I mean this dude is basically Micah Parsons in my opinion he just needs to know when to dial it back and yes I just said that I think he has the same athleticism and talent that first step and the speed to get to the guy he just needs to know how to pull back at times..

I'd rather try to teach a guy to pull back then to teach him how to play like that giving it your all out on the field at full speed so I don't think it's a bigger problem as people think the man just needs to mature I think he's better than Randy Gregory but he's having Randy Gregory issues so I know there's a little parallel there...
I agree that he tries hard. He is obviously a top athlete. But I also see a guy hyper-conscious of the fact that sacks, strips, blocks all equal a big payday. And the sacrifice that a championship team makes is that everyone does their job...as opposed to seeking a paycheck. That's why Belichick would emphasize this because doing "too much" can hurt your team as much as doing nothing. Situational awareness is the difference between winning and losing and the reason I think Sam W. lacks this is because he's tryna be like Micah...and thinking about himself and not the team. I will give Micah credit for being disciplined in those situations (for the most part), but monkey-see, monkey-do....if Micah is celebrated for that stuff and going all out for the sack, why can't I?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Probably a make or break season for Sam Williams. He showed some real promise his rookie year, but didn’t make much of a jump last season if any. He’s had off the field issues and commits a lot of penalties. He reminds me a little of Randy Gregory. He shows flashes but makes a lot of boneheaded mistakes. He’ll make a couple of nice plays in a game then disappears for three games.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

I'm expecting Williams to be out there at end on passing downs, but to be surpassed for playing time at end by Kneeland (or possibly even Golston or Fehoko) on running downs. I just don't think he has the discipline to be consistently good against the run. Still, if he only gets out there when a throw is more likely, he'll increase his snaps significantly.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

his last chance. he was a knuckle head last year. he has been irrelevant. his head is not screwed on right, because he was one of the players planning a victory party for the GB playoff game....he is very immature still.