Mike Jenkins Step Up

31smackdown

Reaction score
OK.. So obviously Mike Jenkins had a pretty rough first start in place of pacman/newman. The problem is that he just looks tentative and almost as if he is guessing on routes.. but what really bothered me more than anything was his play against the run. I don't have the game tape, but almost every replay I saw and from what I remember from the game.. he needs to be way more aggressive in the run game. I constantly saw him almost backing away from the play instead of coming up to make the tackle. This is something that Newman and Pacman did very well.. even if Pacman had poor form. Teams will continue to run at him if he continues to shy away from contact.

As an example, watch Jackson's big run... Jenkins had a clear lane to come up and make a hit/fill a hole and instead he moves himself to the sideline and is taken out of the play.

DeadEagle

Reaction score
Watched him at USF last year, and he looks tentative this year.

That's not him. I have to wonder if the coaches are "over coaching him", and not letting him just play football.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
What he is really lacking is a good celebration dance. Once he gets that down pat the plays will start coming

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
this is something else being overblown...he had one really bad play, where he made the wrong judgement. His coverage on most of the plays appeared to be quite good.

some of this is on Wade and Stewart though. We have alot of pure man cover CB's, they shouldnt be asking them to play 10 yds off the LOS over and over again.

khiladi

Reaction score
dbair1967;2366544 said:
some of this is on Wade and Stewart though. We have alot of pure man cover CB's, they shouldnt be asking them to play 10 yds off the LOS over and over again.

And I don't buy the fact that the reason we play so much zone is because of the rookies...

I'd rather have a rookie brought in playing man and press coverage, because then, he would know for a fact one player is his responsibility. With zone, you got to worry about coaches attacking a particular zone with more than one receiver. Plus, you got to let receiver's go at a particular time and dealing with space becomes another mental issue to adjust to...

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
I'm glad we drafted a press coverage corner in the 1st round and utilize a lot of zone defense.

He either sinks or swims. Let's find out.

FCBarca

Reaction score
I say, as long as Jenkins doesn't come out to tell the fans he isn't afraid of the opposing WR, we should be ok ;)

cowboyz

Reaction score
speedkilz88;2366569 said:
On Jackson's run he was the outside contain man.
yeah, but you can't depend on your corner, when ware runs a stunt against an unbalanced line as well.

it was just a bad playcall, bad adjustment that lead to a TD. the defense didn't take very good angles either to contain the run.

rewatched a few plays, and ware did not have a good game run blocking as we're accustomed to seeing. he got taken out of a couple, turned around on another of jackson's tds.

also ratliff was getting good penetration, but he kept going instead of causing a disruption, opened up big holes.

canty has got to be injured. the guy is being pushed around like he's nothing.

spears did pretty well. but they started playing hatcher a lot. hatcher looks a lot thicker, seems to have affected his quickness.

greg ellis is done. again he got manhandled by fbs and TEs. pathetic performance.

oh and i guarantee teams are finding anthony henry on the goalline and running to him. he just stands there like bobby carpenter watching the play unfold. just get ellis and henry to one side. instant TD.

Reaction score
31smackdown;2366358 said:
OK.. So obviously Mike Jenkins had a pretty rough first start in place of pacman/newman. The problem is that he just looks tentative and almost as if he is guessing on routes.. but what really bothered me more than anything was his play against the run. I don't have the game tape, but almost every replay I saw and from what I remember from the game.. he needs to be way more aggressive in the run game. I constantly saw him almost backing away from the play instead of coming up to make the tackle. This is something that Newman and Pacman did very well.. even if Pacman had poor form. Teams will continue to run at him if he continues to shy away from contact.

As an example, watch Jackson's big run... Jenkins had a clear lane to come up and make a hit/fill a hole and instead he moves himself to the sideline and is taken out of the play.

Where was the pass rush? That is why the CB's struggled.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Pick6TerenceNewman;2366705 said:
Where was the pass rush? That is why the CB's struggled.

We had 5 sacks man.

Guys were running down the field by themselves in busted zones coverages.