Recap: Mike McCarthy Monday PC - 2 pt situation in Detroit, Injury Updates, CeeDee Cooks and Tank, Playoffs

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
The Coach and Coordinator PCs went on as usual. Hardest working people in the building. DQ coming up next.

Always encourage folks to read these. A lot of extra energy spent sometimes in the forums that you could get instant clarity hearing it straight from the horse's mouth.

• Players have been in weight room and watched Lions games already. That game is NFL as normal. Competitive league. It's hard to win.
  • Players were already texting each other as soon as Eagles lost. Most of them watched the game.
  • Tyler Smith Update: It's sore. The history of injury, I would agree, full better than partial tear. Up to the player to tell you how he feels.
  • Jonathan Hankins Update: Good workout today. We'll see how he feels this weekend. We hope we can get him in.
  • We spent extra time today on running game. Defense Lions 64% pressure. Only 11 empty pressures. We had a lot of uphill looks for our run game and wasn't good enough. Spending more time on it this week.
  • CeeDee Lamb: He always sees doubles so his ability to play outside/inside makes him so versatile and a part of his success. Extensive route menu. And he's so competitive. He is what you want.
  • We are very aware Packers are a likely opponent. I watched their game. I saw Eagles, Washington games. I'm watching to see what they're playing. Trends for every football team, especially this time of year. Some teams play different than they did just 2 months ago.
  • Clearly, tripping penalty flipped situation. Stopped clock and took our yards. When we went to 1st and 25, the goal was to cut it in half. We got it with CeeDee. 2nd down was the disappointment. Communication issue from my end? We just weren't clean. We were supposed to hit individual cuts to Brandon or CeeDee since they were 1-1. We got what we needed defensively. Was supposed to put us on 3rd and short, to give us chance to convert and end game. That was the thinking on the time clock.
  • D-Law? I remember competing against him and he's still doing it at high level. DE, people always talk about sacks. But when I see Michael Strahan, I think not only sack records, but this man plays the run great. D-Law is that same type of player. He plays run even better. That speaks volume about him. He can sack and pressure but it's huge compliment to also say you can do it against run. It's his tenacity when he comes inside. Most guys just run the C gap, he takes three gaps out.
  • If you look at way our season has gone, our team NEEDED adversity. And that's what we have gotten end of season. Adversity, tight ball games, that's what football is about. Obviously, we want to win them all, but this will serve us well moving forward. Our young players still make mistakes, but being healthy is most important statistic going into Playoffs.
  • Eligibility. Philly game is a good example - we put Jon Fassell on microphone. We always make big deal out of reporting. Those are mistakes that are unacceptable.
  • Yes, if they announced #68 was eligible we definitely play it different. Our sideline, when #68 caught the ball, everyone was screaming only #70 was the eligible receiver.
  • Yes, it's always been beneficial talk to refs before game. Sometimes you can tell them too much. Sometimes you talk about things you're worried about but they end up calling it on your team. Everyone has their own philosophy. I always ask them, "Anything I need to remind my players about?" Every crew is different, some engage more than others in pre-game talk.
  • I feel we have arrived at the complimentary football format. You sometimes have to win 20-19. You want both your offense and defense in top 10. Turnover ratio is always the indicator of a successful football team. Playoffs have already started. More Playoff games played Sunday than the Tourney Sundays. You want your team ready at that complimentary level.
  • Yes, I will share the SF game losses with my team. Part of the cut-ups.
  • Brandon Cooks? On field super competitive. Clear understanding of everything. Schemes. Run Games. Smart player. Knack for big moments has been awesome for us. Off the field, big family man, very well respected, great work habits. I can't think of anything not nice to say about him.
  • Cooks too smart to get sucked into coaching. Education of a 10, 12, 14 year pro today. They want to be a coach, or in media industry too, they already have great understanding in today's league.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
  • We spent extra time today on running game. Defense Lions 64% pressure. Only 11 empty pressures. We had a lot of uphill looks for our run game and wasn't good enough. Spending more time on it this week.
Most important part right there. The running game shouldn't struggle this much after playing 16 games. Bad scheme and bad play calling has caught up to them. Just don't look good against Washington only to turn around and struggle again.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Most important part right there. The running game shouldn't struggle this much after playing 16 games. Bad scheme and bad play calling has caught up to them.
Yeah, he didn't go into it too much. I've watch the coach PCs weekly for 30 years now, and I will say one thing that separates McCarthy from the others is that he does not like to go into too much details on scheme, gameplay and stats. Looks like he feels he is giving more ammo to opposition. He is big on making comments along lines of... "What I can say..."

Staubacher

Reaction score
Anotherwords Dak had no business chucking the ball out of the end zone.
Complete lack of awareness

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Most important part right there. The running game shouldn't struggle this much after playing 16 games. Bad scheme and bad play calling has caught up to them. Just don't look good against Washington only to turn around and struggle again.
How good would Derrick Henry look on this team now...........clear missed opportunity IMO

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Titans were never trading him. They want him as a lifer.
Remember, they offered him in offseason, and only few games before deadline did they take him off market.

My guess is they wanted same thing the 49ers gave for McCaffrey but no one was going to budge with Henry being 3 years older and a FA this summer.

I'm also guessing they weighed compensatory pick they get if he is signed somewhere else this summer, vs what was on the table from other teams.

Momanpr100

Reaction score
Good stuff as usual. And as you said, it's always better to here it straight from the horses mouth.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
he'd look like a runner getting blown up in the backfield. Barry Sanders would struggle
It's not that simple. Henry is 250 lbs. 6'3". He is no Tony Pollard. He has a much better yards after contact stat on NFL Next Gen Stats.

He has the 5th highest yards rushing this year, and is #3 in NFL among all RBs in facing 8 men in the box. (Something that would not happen as much with Dak and CeeDee throwing, and BTW Tony Pollard is near bottom of league RBs in facing 8 men box.)

Plus, you boost Pollard by putting him back in the role he had with Zeke. If Pollard is truly 100% healthier now like he states in his media bits, then you get the same playmaker back you had last year.

Back to your normally scheduled Head Coach PC. Sorry, it still pisses me off we didn't get this guy to help an obvious weakness, even if it would have cost us.

Even Greg Olsen, a known Cowboys hater, was getting pumped talking about the potential of it on our Panthers game broadcast. Everyone could see what it would do.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I think every player on every team is tradeable given the right offer.

My guess is the Titans basically said they want to keep him but if someone wants to offer them X, Y and Z they would consider trading him.
Yup. He was obtainable, but team obviously thought the price was too high. I would hate to be the GM and watch them lose a Playoff game from lack of run game knowing could have fixed it if just rolled the dice.

At some point you have to say this is our window. And I think this was the year to say that. I'm just a fan talking crap on the internet, but it really felt like the window year to start putting the chips in even more.