Recap: Mike McCarthy PC Thursday - Chiefs analysis, Tyron update, Dak questions

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Team feels good. No surprises. Big game coming. Tyron still not guaranteed for Sunday.

Audio: Mike McCarthy: Major Focus This Week (dallascowboys.com)

------------------------------------------------

This Week's Recaps Links

Troy Aikman Show - This Team vs Romo Teams, Mike McCarthy Analysis, Rams Take
Recap: - Troy Aikman Show 11/16 - This Team vs Romo Teams, Mike McCarthy analysis, Take on Rams status | Dallas Cowboys Forum - CowboysZone.com

Stephen Jones Show - Tyron Smith, Connor Williams Updates
Recap: - Stephen Jones Show 105.3 FM | Dallas Cowboys Forum - CowboysZone.com

Nate Newton & Jesse Holley Monday Podcast - Take on Falcons game, Nate called it!
Recap: - Hanging With Boys, Big Nate & Jesse Holley Podcast 11/15 | Dallas Cowboys Forum - CowboysZone.com

----------------------------------------------

RECAP:
  • Tyron good practice today. Evaluate and see where he's at. Hasn't 11-11 yet.
  • Greg Z back in building. Need see him back in routine.
  • Dak looking forward to this big challenge. 2 excellent teams. If I was a fan, this is a game I would watch.
  • Chiefs just like all teams. Different things in beginning of year. September always a challenge. You can see clearly in last 4 weeks they've settled in.
  • Melvin Ingram? Gives them another pass rusher. Good player. We will have to go back to some Pittsburgh tape.
  • Andy Reid? His teams are always tough. Big offensive lines. Schematically challenging. Always aggressive, even back to Philly and that defense. Jimmy Johnson's concepts he brought into the league, were some of my first experiences. Extremely well coached.
  • Love Kansas City. Friends there. Went to college there. Have respect for the home family and the organization. First class.
  • Dak and Zeke? Special relationship. Like brothers. Laugh a lot together. They push each other. Connection on the field. Two excellent great young players who's bond will go beyond the football careers. Something that jumped out to me when I arrived.
  • Parsons. EVERYONE has been impressed since day one. About as natural and instinctive of a football player as I've ever worked with. He's working on things all young players work with when new in league. No different than any other rookie with that. But his instinct, gifts he has, flexibility he gives us, are unique.
  • Travis Kelce? I'm always so impressed with his YAC. Natural hands. Very smooth. His vertical slippery yards are extremely productivity. You can see him and Patrick have a good connection. Will be a challenge.
  • (asked about Dak vs Mahomes, do they look at it more intensely) They don't compete against each other. But it does bring a ton of excitement to the game for the fans. I go back to one of my first games with Joe Montana vs Steve Young and it felt like Super Bowl media attention.
  • Secondary has to be coordinated. Patrick's play extension is unique and as big a challenge as anyone in the league with his ability to come out of the pocket and create time. No different than rushing, play to our leverage, be disciplined.
  • Andy does a great job with traditional WCO. Screen game is big part of that.
  • Tyreek Hill? Dangerous. Can score from anywhere. Great vertical speed, quickness and change of direction. Good confidence right now. He scores TDs.
  • We're pretty healthy. Full practice.

Last edited:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Team feels good. No surprises. Big game coming. Tyron still not guaranteed for Sunday.

Audio: Mike McCarthy: Major Focus This Week (dallascowboys.com)

------------------------------------------------

This Week's Recaps

Troy Aikman Show - This Team vs Romo Teams, Mike McCarthy Analysis, Rams Take
Recap: - Troy Aikman Show 11/16 - This Team vs Romo Teams, Mike McCarthy analysis, Take on Rams status | Dallas Cowboys Forum - CowboysZone.com

Stephen Jones Show - Tyron Smith, Connor Williams Updates
Recap: - Stephen Jones Show 105.3 FM | Dallas Cowboys Forum - CowboysZone.com

Nate Newton & Jesse Holley Monday Podcast - Take on Falcons game, Nate called it!
Recap: - Hanging With Boys, Big Nate & Jesse Holley Podcast 11/15 | Dallas Cowboys Forum - CowboysZone.com

----------------------------------------------
  • Tyron good practice today. Evaluate and see where he's at. Hasn't 11-11 yet.
  • Greg Z back in building. Need see him back in routine.
  • Dak looking forward to this big challenge. 2 excellent teams. If I was a fan, this is a game I would watch.
  • Chiefs just like all teams. Different things in beginning of year. September always a challenge. You can see clearly in last 4 weeks they've settled in.
  • Melvin Ingram? Gives them another pass rusher. Good player. We will have to go back to some Pittsburgh tape.
  • Andy Reid? His teams are always tough. Big offensive lines. Schematically challenging. Always aggressive, even back to Philly and that defense. Jimmy Johnson's concepts he brought into the league, were some of my first experiences. Extremely well coached.
  • Love Kansas City. Friends there. Went to college there. Have respect for the home family and the organization. First class.
  • Dak and Zeke? Special relationship. Like brothers. Laugh a lot together. They push each other. Connection on the field. Two excellent great young players who's bond will go beyond the football careers. Something that jumped out to me when I arrived.
  • Parsons. EVERYONE has been impressed since day one. About as natural and instinctive of a football player as I've ever worked with. He's working on things all young players work with when new in league. No different than any other rookie with that. But his instinct, gifts he has, flexibility he gives us, are unique.
  • Travis Kelce? I'm always so impressed with his YAC. Natural hands. Very smooth. His vertical slippery yards are extremely productivity. You can see him and Patrick have a good connection. Will be a challenge.
  • (asked about Dak vs Mahomes, do they look at it more intensely) They don't compete against each other. But it does bring a ton of excitement to the game for the fans. I go back to one of my first games with Joe Montana vs Steve Young and it felt like Super Bowl media attention.
  • Secondary has to be coordinated. Patrick's play extension is unique and as big a challenge as anyone in the league with his ability to come out of the pocket and create time. No different than rushing, play to our leverage, be disciplined.
  • Andy does a great job with traditional WCO. Screen game is big part of that.
  • Tyreek Hill? Dangerous. Can score from anywhere. Great vertical speed, quickness and change of direction. Good confidence right now. He scores TDs.
  • We're pretty healthy. Full practice.

Nice -- all good stuff and very impressive observations, like any good HC must have! He's done his homework and knows what's what.

I'm glad that we have a head coach who has a handle on this team and our opponents, as well. Here's hoping his players buy into him.

Judging by the way in which they appear to be responding, I'd venture to say that they're doing just that. It seems like we're good to go.

Last edited:

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Everything seems well. Just need a healthier Tyron Smith and really wish we had our 3 injured D-Linemen back. McCarthy didn't talk about it much, but Nate Newton & Jesse Holley sure did on their podcast today. If you can't get to Mahomes you are S-C-R-E-W-E-D. Those guys are both former players and it's hard to star struck them, but you can tell they are both awed by Mahomes ability.

Reaction score
DE's will have to be disciplined in their rush lanes. Keep Mahomes in the pocket. In traffic. Play zone and force him to check down to RB's and TE's.

They will definitely move the ball. But the defense must avoid giving up huge plays

MaineBoy

Reaction score
Huh, we’r pretty healthy ? Has it been they’ve been out so long he forgot about those 3 defensive linemen we need back ? And Tyrone we have to see where he’s at. But those updates were no where near as chilling
as “Greg Z back in building”. I’d rather have the replacement guy who we can rely on out to 45ish than Greg Z hitting or missing extra points and 35 yarders before he makes a 56 yarder.

Last edited:

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Huh, we’r pretty healthy ? Has it been they’ve been out so long he forgot about those 3 defensive linemen we need back ? And Tyrone we have to see where he’s at. But those updates were no where near as chilling
as “Greg Z back in building”. I’d rather have the replacement guy who we can rely on out to 45ish than Greg Z hitting or missing extra points and 35 yarders. Stay in the tub, Greg. Please. Of course Fassell will play Greg as soon as possible even if needs a crutch or two to line up for the kick.

He is referring to the players that are not on the list. No new surprises either like Gregory last week. It was basically an answer to a dumb question asking him if a full practice is a good sign.