Mike Williams' Pro Day, Last year......

Ken

Reaction score
Here is a blurb from NFL.com regarding His pro day last year.....

This was Mike Williams' personal Pro Day, which took place in Tampa at the University of South Florida. He ran outdoors on a rubber track. Cardinals coach Denny Green was there, as was Bears GM Jerry Angelo. In fact, every team with a pick in the top 10 pick had someone there, but not all 32 teams were present.
Player Position Gil's comments

Mike Williams WR Williams (6-4 5/8, 228) ran his 40s for times of 4.56 with the wind and 4.62 against the wind. He had a 37-inch vertical jump, a 10-1 long jump, a 4.34 short shuttle and a 6.84 three-cone. They say he looked good in the workout.

If this guy has been working out all year, which I think he did, he could be running high 4.4s or consistent low 4.5s by now. For a guy his size, 4.62 against the wind is not slow. This guy really intrigues me.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
Tough to tell, but what I'm drawn to is his impressive vert. He's already tall and with his great hands and size, you could literally throw the ball up and let him get it.

If he's there at #11, I take him even over DJ.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Ken said:
Here is a blurb from NFL.com regarding His pro day last year.....

This was Mike Williams' personal Pro Day, which took place in Tampa at the University of South Florida. He ran outdoors on a rubber track. Cardinals coach Denny Green was there, as was Bears GM Jerry Angelo. In fact, every team with a pick in the top 10 pick had someone there, but not all 32 teams were present.
Player Position Gil's comments

Mike Williams WR Williams (6-4 5/8, 228) ran his 40s for times of 4.56 with the wind and 4.62 against the wind. He had a 37-inch vertical jump, a 10-1 long jump, a 4.34 short shuttle and a 6.84 three-cone. They say he looked good in the workout.

If this guy has been working out all year, which I think he did, he could be running high 4.4s or consistent low 4.5s by now. For a guy his size, 4.62 against the wind is not slow. This guy really intrigues me.

That is a reallllly slow 4.62 though.

Rubber tracks are extremely fast surfaces. Gusy routinely toss up 4.2's on them such as at OSU.

There's a reason a guy who went to USC chose to workout at USF.

Thats not to say he shouldn't intrigue you but he does seem to be a bit slower than Irvin was and looks to be more a size guy than an athletic freak such as Fitzgerald who weights the same but posted 4.4's on average tracks.

Kevlee06

Reaction score
Fitzgerald posted HIGH 4.4's. He did not run a 4.41 or a 4.43 for that matter. So lets average it out and say Williams fan a 4.59 forty. .1 seconds is not that much. And with WR's such as Bolding and Clayton having success and running SLOWER forty times than Williams, I see no reason to believe Williams cant be more successful than those two guys.

One more thing. Even though Williams attended school at USC he grew up in Florida. And thats why he was working out there. Makes sense to me.

If he's there at #11, you take him.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
I don't care how fast he is. All I care about is if he can break tackles or not. Being 6'4", 230 lbs doesn't mean you can break tackles and make plays after the catch (see Randal Williams).

Bobo

Reaction score
I read that Boldin had posted 4.4 times before, but had a really bad showing at the combine.

This guy could be good, but I think you want elite speed with a #11 pick.....especially with a team that really needs D help more than WR's. He's way off the 4.3 to 4.4 that most elite wr's have, but maybe he can change that.

If the right D player is there though, I'd pass on MW.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
ManicDepressiveMan said:
Who gives a fig how fast he is?

Can you say Anquan Boldin?
Boldin had pulled a hamstring and couldn't get healthy. He doesn't run SLOW contrary to popular belief.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
I don't care how fast Boldin is, but he sure as hell doesn't run a 4.4.

And, again, who cares about his speed? Mike Williams STYLE of play doesn't rely on speed so it doesn't matter. I'd be concerned about speed if it were a Joey Galloway type WR, who w/o Speed is nothing.

Michael Irvin never ran faster then a 4.6. Neither did Jerry Rice. Both of those guys turned out just fine.

If you can play football, you can play football. As long as he's not running a 5.2, I'm not worried about it.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Kevlee06 said:
Fitzgerald posted HIGH 4.4's. He did not run a 4.41 or a 4.43 for that matter. So lets average it out and say Williams fan a 4.59 forty. .1 seconds is not that much. And with WR's such as Bolding and Clayton having success and running SLOWER forty times than Williams, I see no reason to believe Williams cant be more successful than those two guys.

One more thing. Even though Williams attended school at USC he grew up in Florida. And thats why he was working out there. Makes sense to me.

If he's there at #11, you take him.
A tenth of a second is a lifetime in football. I ran a 4.65 as a high school senior. Had I ran a 4.55 I woulda been a blue chip prospect instead of just a lower tier addition to someone's recruiting class.

Yes 40 times are overrated, especially for WRs but MW will not go as high as 11 unless he runs better this off-season. The report last year was very clear that the multiple teams approached admitted he was not in their top 20 players if he was eligible.

He will be competing Troy Williamson and Chris Henry who will both run 4.4 or better, possibly much better.

You can talk Clayton and Boldin but where were they drafted? There are also guys like Peter Warrick who came into the league and have been held back by a lack of top end speed.

What exactly does MW do so well? Is he a great route runner? No, not really. He was inexperienced and asked to only run a few routes at USC. Does he have great hands? Pretty close to great. He made a ton of spectacular catches but dropped some easy ones. He has huge mitts which means he should be a great hands guy going forward. Does he have great speed? No, not at all. Does he have great leaping ability? YES. A 37" vert on top of his 6'4" plus will make him a serious fade route target.

You just have to add it all up and see what you come up with. He isn't the blue chip, drop dead lock of a Randy Moss. He isn't as fast or strong as Terrell Owens. He doesn't run routes or display the quickness of Marvin Harrison.

He does seem to favor Plaxico Burress(tho Burress ran faster coming out) and Ed McCaffrey. Both guys who have had NFL success.

ghst187

Reaction score
He's a player and someone tell me how a 5'9-6'1 DB is going to cover a 6'5 WR on 3rd and short or 2nd and goal...?
I'm not sure what Plaxico ran at the combine but I don't think it was really fast. It took him a few years to adjust to pro game and now he's become quite a player. He definitely doesn't use speed to get open, its size, route running, and great hands.....just like Mike Williams.
IMO, he has the potential to be a better pro than Braylon because of his ridiculous size and hands. Braylon definitely has the speed, decent size, and good hands but I've seen Bray drop some easy ones and run some crummy routes.
I think Mike Williams would be a great pick at 11 but i seriously doubt he'll last that long. I wouldn't be upset if we took Braylon at 11 either though or even Clayton at 20. I do think we need a WR. Porter would be great via FA also with the speed we need.
Morgan should turn in his jersey. Too bad we didn't take KC up on trading Bryant for Larry Johnson eh?

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
If we pass on Mike Williams at #11, it will be remembered the same as the Randy Moss pass was. Big Mistake. With the way the NFL is calling penalties on DBs Mike Williams will eat them alive. I have said all along that if we can get this guy we need to. He is an elite playmaker and will be a great player for the Cowboys for many years.

Kevlee06

Reaction score
jterrell said:
A tenth of a second is a lifetime in football. I ran a 4.65 as a high school senior. Had I ran a 4.55 I woulda been a blue chip prospect instead of just a lower tier addition to someone's recruiting class.

Yes 40 times are overrated, especially for WRs but MW will not go as high as 11 unless he runs better this off-season. The report last year was very clear that the multiple teams approached admitted he was not in their top 20 players if he was eligible.

He will be competing Troy Williamson and Chris Henry who will both run 4.4 or better, possibly much better.

You can talk Clayton and Boldin but where were they drafted? There are also guys like Peter Warrick who came into the league and have been held back by a lack of top end speed.

What exactly does MW do so well? Is he a great route runner? No, not really. He was inexperienced and asked to only run a few routes at USC. Does he have great hands? Pretty close to great. He made a ton of spectacular catches but dropped some easy ones. He has huge mitts which means he should be a great hands guy going forward. Does he have great speed? No, not at all. Does he have great leaping ability? YES. A 37" vert on top of his 6'4" plus will make him a serious fade route target.

You just have to add it all up and see what you come up with. He isn't the blue chip, drop dead lock of a Randy Moss. He isn't as fast or strong as Terrell Owens. He doesn't run routes or display the quickness of Marvin Harrison.

He does seem to favor Plaxico Burress(tho Burress ran faster coming out) and Ed McCaffrey. Both guys who have had NFL success.

.1 of a second IS NOT a lifetime in football (keep in mind you're speaking to a former college football player as well). And it especially isnt a lifetime where someone like Mike Williams is concerned. I could see your point if the kid was 5'11" and 190 lbs. Then his speed would be a concern. But at his size his speed will be more than adequate.

You say he's not as fast or strong as TO? C'mon, the guy is 230 lbs. Give him a couple years and TO will look like Terry Glenn compared to him. But the one thing you failed to mention in regards to TO is Williams' height. If you're gonna list advantages and disadvantages put them all down.

Mike Williams will have no problem getting off the line. He runs great routes. Has hands unmatchable in this draft. And has excellent jumping and ball skills. And I figure with a bit more time to prepare this time for his pro day he will have no problems bettering the 4.59 forty (averaged) he ran last March. And if he does that then what? Do the Cowboys still draft Chris Henry?